Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:28:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is getting very, very old  (Read 6408 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 07:24:45 AM »

The picture of the gasket does not show how huge it is.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »

Another thought..measure top to bottom on each side and run a grid to see if they (the openings)are the same for both sides..Take a measurement move in 6 inches and compare to right and left side..run a grid and compare top to bottom and side to side and middle to each side should let you know if they are equal in openings...or mabe another bus nut could give you some measurements from his coach..like yours...wish I were closer to help out..Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »

Arrrgghh, Ruthi.

I know somewhat what you are going through. We struggled with ours a ton. I am sure you all have tried this...but, have you let the gasket sit out in the sun for a while to let it get good and hot? I assume that you are using plenty of dishsoap. And, I assume that you are also very frustrated Wink.

Those windshields can be a PAIN to install. Ours took us a full day, and I thought that took a long time. I guess not. It is a kinda interesting idea to consider making it a glue in. Anybody have any idea why they don't have glue in's on the buses?

Sorry to hear about the troubles, Ruthi. If I was close to you, I would come over on the weekend and help you out.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »

Arrrgghh, Ruthi.

It is a kinda interesting idea to consider making it a glue in. Anybody have any idea why they don't have glue in's on the buses?

God bless,
John

John.
   I think the reason they do not glue in bus windshields is that the windshielsds have to be able to move in the gaskets when the bus body flexes to prevent the windshields from cracking.
    I know a busnut in SC that put 1 piece fiberglass sides on his Eagle. When he pulled out onto the road, he heard a loud pop. Friends said his one front wheel was offthe ground about 1' until the pop. These big apparently flax quite a bit.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »

I know you are getting all kinds of opinions and help from the guys here. I was thinking this. Because you are having so many problems installing them this time, it might behoove you to take your time to find a way to make it easier. If there ever is a next time it might save the frustration on the next install, and save it for something easier to deal with.

I agree with Jack on the flexing issue. These buses are so big and long, with large pieces of glass they will need to move. Not only according to flex, but temperatures also.

I really feel for ya! Cry

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »

Taking the bus somewhere is not going to solve the problem. These guys are very professional. I dont know what we are going to do, we are totaly bum fuzzled. We thought the gluing them in was the answer with the butle, with the windshield sitting on rubber blocks, and trimmed with rubber.  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh UGGGGGHHHH  The guys were telling us that a lot of motor homes have glued in windshields. They had just come from doing one. So, why would that not work on the bus?

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »

Maybe we need a windshield party, and invite all Grin

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »

another thought. After thinking about it, a little late, with that gasket, there is no way we could build the tv and cabinets up top at the front. The way it is now, you have to work it from the inside and out.

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »

Ruthi

How about 100 mph duct tape  Cheesy Cheesy I am sure Ken will never reach those speeds, lol

Just kidding. Hope you laughed anyway  Grin

Bryan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »

Buses do flex a lot I watched a guy in Quartzsite showing off his new Big Foot hyd levelers to people on a 102 MCI and I tried to tell him to put all four down before starting the level process and he informed me he had a MCI not a rusty Eagle.
 I then stood back and watched as he popped both windshields and bent his entry door broke both windshields when they hit ground.
I knew it would happen because I popped one from of my Eagle before learning a lesson.lol  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 12:49:21 PM »

Ruthi,
What bodywork does your Dina have?   Is it Dina's own body, or is it a Marco Polo or Irizar or whatever?   I'm just wondering if there may be any other options for your windshields.   How close are you to Mexico?   (Broken windshields are not uncommon on Mexican buses, so there may be some resources south of the border you could tap into, at least to get advice or to obtain gaskets.)
Just an idea.
John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »

I agree with the flexing but I'm not necessarily convinced that it's the reason windscreens are mounted in rubber (especially if some Class A's do have bonded windscreens - hard to imagine that a motorhome would flex less than a bus)

My bus has very large side windows which are bonded-in, but the windscreens (which are a similar size, possibly even smaller) are rubber mounted. The side windows are double-glazed units and hence probably tougher than the single-glazed windscreen though. Interestingly, my bus could be specified with either a single-piece or two piece windscreen. Presumably the customer made his choice by weighing-up the more modern appearance of a single-piece screen against the higher cost of replacing it in the future.

Back on the flexing issue - when I was looking at buses I went to a dealer to look at his stock and get advice. I remember in particular him telling me ''You'd be better off getting a bus with a chassis, son - monocoque buses are all very well, but you need to know what you are doing. Jack one up in the wrong place and the windscreen will fall out".

Jeremy

[Written before I read lurbus' similar comment about windscreens falling out]

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »

Clifford,

I have read that breaking windshields is an issue with 4 point leveling, and it is therefore better to have just one foot in front.  Is that the case?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

Ruthi,
What bodywork does your Dina have?   Is it Dina's own body, or is it a Marco Polo or Irizar or whatever?   I'm just wondering if there may be any other options for your windshields.   How close are you to Mexico?   (Broken windshields are not uncommon on Mexican buses, so there may be some resources south of the border you could tap into, at least to get advice or to obtain gaskets.)

The body is actually made by Marco Polo out of Brazil.  The first set of replacement windshields for my Dina said Made in Brazil (in spanish) on them.  When I hit the goose last year I needed another windshield and the new one is made for MCI by someone.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »

Removed

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:39:05 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: