Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 11:21:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is getting very, very old  (Read 6471 times)
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »

Does the book have any directions for replacing the windshield? I had to replace mine a few years ago and the book had a very good explanation in it. My only problems were that it has 6 panes in it and none of the glass folks around here would touch it, not to mention the glass was not available new. I wound up doing it myself. How is it that someone like me that has never done it before was able to install it when none of the pros knew how? Makes you wonder.

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 03:31:58 PM »

Ruthi

I had cracked windshields when I got my bus and ordered replacements -- the passenger side went in fine but the drivers side did not fit. I'm not talking about a little did not fit I mean there was a 3 inch gap on the left of  the windshield and when you would drive the flex of the bus would "walk" the windshield right out of the opening. I could tell stories about driving a spicer and holding the windshield but back to the point. I took one of the cracked windshields and checked that it was still the proper shape (not flexed or deflected) and used it to build a frame which I attached to the bus and built another frame that bolts to the first and holds the windshield in place. I put masking tape around the edge of the windshield and the cavity that windshield fits into and filled the void with PL roofing adhesive caulk which is black. I then trimmed all the excess off when it was dry. Now if I need to change a windshield it is 6 bolts to remove and masking tape and roofing adhesive. As frank (slow rider) noted one evening in chat -- I may never find out how easy or hard it is to change a windshield if it never breaks. I have pictures and can give you a detailed explanation of how I actually did the frames.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »

Bryanhes, you are too funny, you made me laugh. Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 03:57:24 PM »

Ruthi,

I figured you could use a laugh at this point  Grin

Bryan
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:40 PM »

for sure, Grin

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 04:22:08 PM »

Ruthi,

Its been a while back that I spoke with Ken. I meant to ask him but forgot. Did you guys leave the hump under your cap on the Buffalo?

Bryan
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »

yes

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »

I have to once again thank all of you for your support and help. You guys are all great. I appreciate the help and suggestions from all of you. Where else could I learn about 100 mph duct tape, lol. When I know more, I will let you know. Ruthi

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

Ruthi have you, Ken, or the installers called Carl "Fritz" Raines about the windshield problem?
I guarantee that Carl has had to replace many of them!
FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »

BK, I dont know who you are talking about. But.........if we put it back in the way it was originally, there is no way it could be replaced if broken in the future. After the front cabinets are built, because you have to be inside and outside to get it in, from top to bottom. So now, we are thinking what else we could do for a solution to that problem. As I said, this is getting very old.  Undecided

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 11:16:04 AM »

Ruthi,
   Any chance of designing the front cabinets to be removable?  Just a thought.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 11:32:57 AM »

Hmmmm I will mention that to Ken, but, sounds like a pain. We will have a lot of cabinets and openings for all out electronics, etc, and that is a lot, also the tv. I dont know how solid you could make them if they were removable. Also, so far, we cant even get both the windshields installed without one getting broken. If one got broke on the road, who knows what would happen. We never imagined that the windshields would be the biggest problem with the conversion. I am glad Ken is leaving to work as he needs a break from the stress. I think we both got too stressed with this the last couple of weeks. When you see 450 dollar windshieds getting broken, not to mention labor cost, it gets pretty stressful. You can hear the money going,     ca-ching! Grin

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »

Sorry for the troubles, Ruthi. I am not sure what else to say Sad.

Thanks for the explanation, Jack. Makes sense to me.

Now, I have never seen a Dina up close in person. But, is there any way you can modify the front end so a MCI D windshield will fit? Or is it not even close...Reason I ask is, D windshields are 200 delivered, and many coach lines have them lying around. Or, it could be a J or E, might be close. I don't know, but I am just throwing out desperate suggestions.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: