Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wrico 12kw genset  (Read 1292 times)
TomC

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »

Just took delivery of my 12kw Wrico genset for the truck. Dick has a 13 kw powered with a 4 cylinder Kubota advertised, but with the heavy duty Newage alternator end, would have been to long for my compartment.  Looking through the Kubota engines available, they are making a new 3 cylinder, the D1305, which has a longer stroke then the old D1105, and puts out only 2hp less then the 4 cylinder.  So Dick ordered a D1305 and custom made one up for me.  Instead of 39" long, it is 35.5" long-that will have enough room in a 39" cabinet!  Plus I like the idea of the 3 cylinder.  It is one compact generator.  The dimensions are for remote mounted radiator.  Dick provided the electric fan for the radiator-while it looks good and is a low amp draw, it is rather bulky.  I'm going to have to figure out where to put it, or do I just use the same type of squirrel cage blower I'm using on my bus now?  Also, he provided a small squirrel cage blower for the compartment ventilating.  I wanted to mount that inside the compartment, but it has a 100 degree heat limit.  So looking at Graingers, Fantech makes inline bathroom ventilators that can withstand 140 degrees of heat.  And since they are round, can use the 8" for 500cfm.  I have an 8" on my bus that is 295 cfm, and it works well, and is quiet.  Plus I can easily duct the 8" fan.  So now the fun begins with building, insulating (I want this as silent as possible), and installing the genset.  But-I still have to get the interior wall and ceiling wiring done, then insulation sprayed in, then 1/4" plywood over, then the windows, then the....... Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »

Nice! What color is a new Wrico?
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

Here is a 12" fan 1" thick that I have been looking at.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1362&catname=electric

Ray D
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

Ray,

In 1990 I got a used rad fan out of a nissan Pulsar.  2 actually.  One has run for 20 years and is as quiet and horrific loud as I choose with the reostat.  It sat for many years running slow to keep everything dry.  Always went to ROAR  when I got home but cooling the interior never took more than 2 minutes.  Best $5 bucks I ever spent....those were 1990 bucks though.

You can use them for aux trans coolers or differential coolers or whatever.  They are designed to runoutside on the front of the car in all weather so they must be tough.  An overlooked commodity as far as I can tell.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »

I played with the 16" fan today.  I was amazed that it only pulls 250 watts @ 120vac! I got a speed controller and it can reduce the fan rpm to just about zero if you want.  Up at full speed it REALLY pushes some air and is a bit noisy.  But for campsite use, or night time use, the controller will bring it down to a more reasonable sound level.
What I would really like is a thermostat that would automatically choose the lowest speed for the fan keeping the generator running at 180 degrees.  Anyone heard of that?  Good Luck, TomC

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »

The new Wrico is painted dark green.  Good Luck, TomC

edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »

Tom,

"Also, he provided a small squirrel cage blower for the compartment ventilating.  I wanted to mount that inside the compartment, but it has a 100 degree heat limit. "

Is that 100 degrees C or F.   I am surprised that Dick would sell a product that does not fit the application.

You could also baffle the air as it exits the generator compartment and use your squirrel cage cooling fan to do double duty.   80-85% of the air through the radiator and 15-20% through the generator compartment.   We have put a few together successfully with that concept.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »

I talked to Dick about that yesterday, and while the fan has a 100F degree limit, he has used it in the engine compartment measuring up to 400F degrees.  He said it wasn't a problem.  But-I'm probably going to use that small squirrel cage blower for else things and get an 8" Fantech inline ventilator since I've had experience with it on my bus and is a very quiet ventilator that can be ducted (the squirrel cage blower is rectangular).  Good Luck, TomC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: