Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 06:52:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ford 460 gasser  (Read 5953 times)
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »

hey fellas, a friend of mine is in need.

I have a friend who has an RV, (i know - sticks and staples) but its a fairly nice one.  Its a 1989 Safari Serengeti, made by Monaco, with a ford 460 carburated gas engine.  He got it out of storage Saturday where it had been for 6 months, got i fired up after checking all the fluids and tires.  Let it warm up for about 20 minutes, drove it to a gas station (15 miles) where he put in about 20 gallons of fresh fuel. He shut it down at the gas station, then after fueling, it fired right back up, said it was purring like a kitten which made him very happy.  Drove it to the turnpike, got on, and got about 10 miles on the turn pike of smooth 65 MPH sailing, it was humming right along, gauges all looked good, no concerns and the thing just started to chug real rough, no warning.  Went from hero to zero right now.  he pulled over and it died.  I drove out to meet him to see if i had any opinions.  It will turn over, but will not fire....it almost fires, i mean its right there, wanting to fire and does kind of but not enough to get it running.  I need some opinions and diagnosis to start the trial and error process of figuring it out.  No fluids leaking out anywhere....no tell tale signs that says "right here is the problem".  It probably ran for over an hour with no issues - then died.  She was then towed home.

thanks,

Greg

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:44 AM »

The first thing that comes to mind is a fuel filter, next is fuel pump.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:48:32 AM »

sounds like elect failure..check to see if you have consistent start...2ND ck to see if you have a steady fuel flow(could have stirred up trash in tank )and clogged filter or carb needle valve. 3rd ch choke pull off.(make sure choke is staying open when running) first three I would eliminate..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »

One of Ford's better ideas that RV has a booster fuel pump somewhere close to the fuel filter besides the ones in the tank should be on the drivers side change that pump and you should be good too go cost about 120 bucks from your local Auto Zone  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:58:58 AM »

The first thing that comes to mind is a fuel filter, next is fuel pump.
Another possibility considering it was setting through the winter, a rodent/bird nest clogging the air filter.  It might have been lodged in the air intake at first, allowing sufficient air flow.  Then broke loose and pretty well plugged up the filter.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »

Check for spark & that the electrical is operating properly.

Dad had a similar problem that was caused by a faulty ignition switch.
Cost us nearly a dozen tow bills & an equal number of useless tuneups for several years before I was forced to figure it out in the rain, 1500 miles from home at one of those gas stations you wouldn't stop at if you had any other choice. All while blocking the fuel pumps . . .  Grin

I'd also check the fuel lines & fuel flow from the fuel tank - may be some nasties in there - or a cracked suction line at the top of the tank.

BTW, since it is carburated, any rubber in the fuel system may not like the ethanol & have reacted with it.

Good luck & let us know what the culprit is.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:08:38 AM »

It is not a carburetor engine has a throttle body and requires fuel pressure

good luck

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:34 AM »

Oh, I thought that since he said it was carburated, that it had been changed. Lots can happen in 21 years . . .  Roll Eyes

But, if it is throttle body, Clifford is right. It needs fuel pressure to work.

Checking the fuel pressire should be one of the first things to do.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 08:08:03 AM »

I still have a 87 ford ton service truck and it has a carb and a choke pull off..choke stays closed when it fails and cuts off air 460.on 2nd choke pull off in 5 years. easy test just prop choke open.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »

What is an easy way to check fuel pressure? 

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:58 AM »

Greg, is that a forward engine or the 460 on John Deere chassis with the engine in rear (a pusher)

good luck

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »

Crank the engine over with a spark plug disconnected to see if you have "spark"

If you don't>>  It's most likely the "ignition module"

If you have spark, check for fuel>>  fuel filter was changed?

If you have spark and fuel..   Depending on the miles on the engine the timing chain/gear could need replacing.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:40:05 AM »

Fords were famous for ignition modules having problems. You do need to isolate the main problems first.   I believe you stated it had a carb and not fuel injection. Look down the throat with the air cleaner off and give it a pump. Gas should squirt into the throat. If not you can pour a little gas down the throat and see if that makes her fire. Then you'll be thinking fuel pump. If all is well then check for spark. The ignition module is fairly easy to unplug and have checked at a parts store. On pickups they were generally on top of the inner fenders. Good luck....

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »

I'm with the fuel filter/pump - They notoriously used small inline filters on those 460's considering the MPG - mine had the same size filter as a pickup, but they run 3 times the fuel through them on a MH - If it has the electric fuel pump by the tank and has been sitting for a while they can heat up or been contaminated (check to see if the fuel line is pressurized past the pump) - If not I'd try hitting it with a hammer and see if it will unfreeze it (has worked for me before) - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

Might be a long shot...but I had a friend who's pick up did just about the same thing. He stopped for gas and then got about 10 miles down the road before it started spitting and coughing and then died. Come to find out he was at one of those combo pumps with gasoline and diesel fuel at the same pump. You guessed it, he grabbed the wrong hose and put 10 gallons of diesel into his tank INSTEAD of gasoline.. He didn't realize it until after it had been towed to the shop.

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: