Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:12:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ford 460 gasser  (Read 5948 times)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »

Actually I've heard that WD 40 used to work well also years ago. It seems they have changed their formula and it's not so good now.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:02 PM »

Kyle,

Ether is so highly volatile that it can easily make an engine kick back because it ignites so fast. I've heard a few tales of it completely destroying an engine. Of course this only happens when too much is used.

Carb cleaner is much less volatile, never heard of it doing any damage, but it doesn't work on diesels - at least for me. Once the carb cleaner kicks the over engine the gasoline takes over. It works well to check to make sure the ignition system is working. If it won't kick over on carb cleaner you ignition is very weak or non-existent.

The amount of carb cleaner used in starting is so small there is no way it can damage the cylinder walls, it may even clean out the carb  in the process. I've seen mechanics flood a carb with it while the engine is running. Never saw the point and I don't do it.

I've never had any luck starting an engine with WD40. I don't even buy it any more since the formula and spray nozzles were changed.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »

WD40 used to use propane as the propellant which is probably why it worked as starting fluid.  They now use CO2 as the propellant.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

I can possibly see it if poor gasoline caused the engine to 'diesel' or run backwards after it was turned off.

I think the excess use of starting fluid can certainly damage an engine, but I can't for the life of my own engine see how it could shear that pin. There is too much other mass in the way that would have to move too quickly - the piston pushing the crank turning the cam (at 1/2 the speed) & then still have enough left to shear that pin . . . . ? ? ?

I can see broken rings, pistons & cranks, cracked heads or cylinders, bent connecting rods, or blown head gaskets. but not that.

But I have been surprised before & hope to again - just not soon!  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Rick 74 MC-8

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »

I'll bet that 360 smokes when you first start it when its only been shut off for 30 min or so. It also smokes costing down hill. The valve seals are gone the pieces drain back into the pan the can be small enough to get by the screen on the oil pump pickup. That is what locked the pump and broke the pin. Look in the bottom of the drain oil you may find some of the bigger pieces of the heat hardened rubber seals. The cam drives the distributor the dist drives the pump
 Ben there done that

Rick 74 MC-8

About 20 Miles West Of Chicago
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: