Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 08:14:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of Buying an MC8  (Read 4733 times)
WVA_NATIVE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:08 PM »

Fear can be a good thing sometimes. You need to be careful when buying a bus. The general rule is to not buy the first bus you look at. But to look at a lot of buses and as you keep looking you will start to see things you would have missed before as you learn what your doing. We sometime let our emotions get the best of us when we see these old girls and that can cost you a lot down the road. The best thing you can do is get a good mechanic to go over any bus you are thinking of buying. If the mechanic says it might be a good one then ask the owner to insure it so you can test drive it. And if the owner will not insure the bus so you can take it out with the mechanic for a test run you will have to make a decision on what you want to do.

WVaNative
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »

There is no need to make a owner buy insurance for you to test drive read your policy your covered for a test drive never saw a policy where you were not covered for 14 days in another vehicle.
ToppDog you are looking at buying a 32 year bus no inspection is going to find everything wrong it is like buying a house start with a good foundation, drivetrain engine, transmission, differential, and brakes check the radiator cores by seeing if the fins are loose check the engine rails for breakage and if you like the bus buy it and enjoy.
Owning a Eagle rust doesn't mean much to us we just repair it and go on with bussines.Buses are like wife's you take one for better or worse understand buses are easier to get rid of than a wife you can sell those for scrap or give it away

good luck on your venture

Life is short drink the good wine first
ToppDog

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2010, 08:17:01 PM »

Interesting... Would that also apply to a mechanic I wonder.  I don't have a CDL to test drive it as is.  I wonder if that would still apply if I had a CDL permit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:19:29 PM by ToppDog » Logged
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32:23 PM »

Lets put it another way. Where is the bus and can you give me their phone number? For that price I would take a chance.....

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 04:47:13 AM »

Unless you really have a strong desire/reason for fully converting for yourself,  and have a shop and skills to do it rather shortly,  or dont mind jumping into steel tenting  I recommend the already converted in a good shell since you have a 4-year old.

Important thing is to get to using it as soon as possible!   Advice i received here and from George Meyer's when I was contemplating like yourself. 
Even if you have to hang sheets for walls and strap in a porta potty and an air mattress.

There will be no shortage of things to work on with your son and you can go have some fun sooner.  Plus you will most likely spend less overall Wink      And you can also convert it later if you desire.

Do it your way safely Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 05:43:56 AM »

Everyone on this BB have their own priorites and what works for them may or may not work for you. Read all the replies and decide which apply to your situation. One thing that I think you will find that all agree on is have it inspected efore purchasing it. Even if the inspection finds a few things, you will at least know what lies ahead. Also, as already mentioned, there will always things pop up that were not found in an inspection.  Good Luck.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ToppDog

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »

Well, the day before I was going to have a mechanic inspect it, someone drove up from Portland & snatched it up after looking it over for 20 min.  Cry  So, I think I'm going to take the advice you guys gave & hold out for an MC9 or an MC12.  There seems to be a lot more of them around for parts etc.  I did like the looks of that 8 though...  Grin
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 02:43:41 PM »

Don't write of prevost XL in the 80's vintage...lots under 15 for seated coach...My understanding you Don't need a cdl for a bus used as a RV as long as you don't get paid to drive it..Indiana rules...I have never been challenged In any other state,an yes I have been stopped and inspected..Happy bussing

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »

Get the magazine, even if your not real serious.  you will be more ready when you find that deal.  And it'll be the highlight of your month Smiley,  that is not family that is Shocked

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 01:35:43 AM »

Don,

That might be the greatest bargain ever.  Very few here can make that determination.  Actually, that's because it takes TWO.  First get it to a DD dealer and have it run on a dyno and examined by an experienced TWO CYCLE PROFESSIONAL having all the diagnostics at his/her disposal.  Second, get it to a charter bus garage to have the chassis evaluated by a professional.  $3-400 for the DD guy and $2-300 for the one with bus creds. are numbers I have heard and all consider that very smart money spent. The people here should be able to clue you on how much to expect in charges and also of paramount import is where you have the work done and by whom.  Give your location and they will supply directions.

Almost everyone here is trying to tell you that the MCI8 is an inferior platform.  They are suggesting a 9 or 12 will cost a similar amt and be superior from a construction standpoint.  Also consider that the availability of spares/used  parts is an issue.  For my money a good converted 8 would be a good choice if all was well but when you consider the prices today doing your own conversion on an old platform isn't a good idea.  Under the best of conditions you can expect to only recover a fraction of the actual "equip costs" for a conversion and that is quite the sharp stick in the eye for a labor of love done correctly.  Gumpy is the absolute authority on this and you MUST visit his sight and simply read about the coming adventure.  He has done it all and thoroughly documented every step in his site.  .BUT, you will be supported and advised through the entire life of your adventure by these folks regardless of your decisions.

My warmest wishes to you on a happy and fullfilling adventure,

Your friend,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
ToppDog

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »

Thanks a bunch!  I agree.  There seem to be a ton of 9's out there, & spending time here & reading up on other sites/books is teaching me a lot.  I'll know a lot more by the time I'm able to seriously consider buying that first bus.  Wink

You know how when you're thinking of buying a new car, then all the sudden all you see is tons of that car on the road?  Well, I've been seeing a lot of buses lately.  Grin
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »

There is no need to make a owner buy insurance for you to test drive read your policy your covered for a test drive never saw a policy where you were not covered for 14 days in another vehicle.

On my policy I am covered for at least 14 days if I buy a car.  Lucky I asked about motorhomes because I found out that motorhomes are not covered unless I specifically buy coverage.  No grace period.  I had to scramble to get my bus covered by insurance just a few days before I was flying out to pick it up.

I assume I am covered for test drives of motorhomes, but I don't really know.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 11:01:20 PM »

Personally, the simple elegance of an eagle easing into a park with the big detroit rumbling is enough to make me want to relive my wedding night, but a lot of people prefer MCI or other buses, I like iggles lol.  Ive had kids look up at me at stop signs and ask if there was anyone famous onboard, I always quietly tell them it's the Swedish Bikini Team and watch as they try to peer into the windows lol.  Life is good lol.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: