Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 01:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generator fan  (Read 913 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »

Found a minor problem with the generator radiator.  I could see a dirty biuld up of dirt on the back side of the radiator, twix the engine and the radiator.  Well I took it out only to find the shroud was rusting out.  I cut and welded in new sheet metal but in the process things didn't look right.  The build up should have been on the other side of the radiator.  With the radiator out I turned the motor over to find the fan is pulling Air from the generator and pushing it through the radiator.  One would thnik it should be more conventional pulling air through the radiator and on passes the motor, not from the motor and pushed through the radiator.  There is a hole cut in the bay door with a grate installed.  Maybe the previous owner wanted the radiator air to exit the bay, thus pushing through the radiator and out the grate.  My question is does anyone have theirs set up his way and will it Burt anything?

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:14:52 AM »

Wayne most are setup that way to pulls fresh air in to help with the generator head cooling so 2 fans are not needed.I have a remote mount and mine pulls air over the generator and exits out the bottom through the radiator every body sets it up different just what ever you prefer  

good luck
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:01:52 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:16:43 AM »

I'm betting that is how it was designed otherwise the generator itself would not be getting cooled by cold air but rather hot air. Now keep in mind I can be full of hot air myself!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:06 AM »

I agree, probably done to keep the gen head and the compartment in general cooler.  I can't see it causing any problems as long as there is also an adequate air inlet for the compartment somewhere.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »

Thank you gentlemen.  It has never run hot so I am not going to fix what isn't broke.  It is kind of odd but then again so am I.

www.snakebreaker.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

That is the way our PowerTech was set up from the factory. When I discussed this with PowerTech's service manager he said it was as has already been explained, to pull cool air over the generator head. He explained that it was better to put air slightly heated by the generator head through the radiator than to pull much hotter air from the radiator over the generator head.
    We found that when we remoted our radiator to a location outside the generator compartment, the compartment temperature dropped drastically. This allows the generator head to run in a much cooler environment (and hopefully last much longer).  We did install 3 bilge blowers to remove heat from the compartment. They are mounted in the floor, but have vertical tubing on them to near the top of the compartment. This pulls the hotter air from the top of the compartment. Our compartment temp is usually only 10-15 degrees above ambient temperature.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »

Just make sure the the fan has the concave curve on the pushing side of the fan to be most efficient. 

I too have a remote mounted radiator with an 8" Fantech inline blower for compartment ventilation.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:05:19 AM »

Hello hightech. Your right.  The opposite side bay door has a grate as well with an aluminum air scoop forcing air into the compartment.  I guess it was a pretty well thought design, it just struck me as odd.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: