Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 10:52:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulling the Engine on a 4106 - Pictures & Video  (Read 7644 times)
tanman496

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »

where did you get the Hitch

Mark
eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »

he made it. it's written in the post....

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 NA, DDAllison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.
Wants Paint Smiley
Previously owned by Wee Willie Ent.
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 06:12:11 AM »

where did you get the Hitch

Tanman,

Yup, as eagle19952 pointed out, I built the hitch.  Take a look on the first page of this post, 3/4 of the way down, I created a new reply just about the construction of the hitch.

I'll say that it has worked really well.  I've had zero issues with it.  Keep in mind, I still use a weight distribution setup......

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2012, 07:30:08 AM »

The tongue weight is what you need to keep at a minimum on a GM they will tow the 7,000 lbs Greyhound did it for years and they were not tied to cradle anywhere 

I have a hitch from a Canadian GM that we are going to install this winter on a GM 4106 there is really not that much holding the cradle on GM kinda scary to me lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
RnMAdventures

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 05:01:05 AM »

There may be more info on here about the hitch, but it sounds like he built it homemade and it works well for him. I am not sure if the test of time or circumstances can say it's all good yet. I honestly do not know what is standard with doing a mod like that. Something that is untested or engineered for that application installed on a 25k lb bus plus a 8k lbs trailer that is rolling on the interstate at 70 mph with a lot of other folks is a scarey thought. Just breaking it or cracking the bulkhead is minor, but losing control on the highway is another matter all together.

I know there is a lot of things like that on the highway. I have a 4106 and I have went through the process of looking at my towing options. The only safe option I could see was towing with a tow bar with all four tires on the ground. Even with a tow dolly you still have the tonge stress.

Most of you guys have a lot more years at this and know a hell of lot more than me. This forum is full of self converters and doing something like a hitch modification is one of the things that are done. So what is the right way to do that mod? Has an engineer done the calculations on what is safe with theses old 4106's?

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: