Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 01:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need engine now! - solution found?  (Read 1334 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »

We found out that the engine shipment got mixed up and nothing is on the way and it isn't what we thought  Angry  Angry.  Frank needs a good 6v92 today. we are in Arcadia and might be able to go get one close by.  any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 04:31:51 PM by white-eagle » Logged

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:08 AM »

i just got a question by phone, so let me add that this is going into a '61 flexible.  the current bad engine is a "green" 6v92 out of a cement mix truck, so it's mechanical, not ddec.  we already have a new transmission for it.  that's where this problem started.

my phone is four 4 zero two 2 five 8ninetwosix if anyone has questions or rapid suggestions we can follow up on.

Tom

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »

We have a local guy, jim horvath, who agreed to rebuild the existing 6v92.  frank decided that's a better idea than buying another unknown engine.  so for now, we're getting the engine ready to deliver to Jim, then we'll put the rebuild back in, and Jim will start it, finish the tune and make sure it runs perfectly.  We've all got our fingers crossed.

Tom

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »

Please document how this process goes! Take pictures and share it with the rest of us who have 6v92! It would also be nice to document the real costs as you finish. Bids are just bids but debits from the account are the real deal!

Thanks

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:09:24 AM »

Tom,
   That sounds like the best plan.  Might cost a little more, but Frank will know exactly what he has and it should last him & Betty as long as they drive the bus.  Tell eveyone we said Hi.  We are leaving John & Lois' this morning to go to Palmetto Cove for the SE Busnuyts rally.  Hope to see ya'll later in OH.  Jack
PS: Tell Sis her sister said Hi!

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »

Tom, the guy needs to run the serial number I see you said a green engine.
I don't think I would put a lot of money into a 6v92 that the serial number is not above F 83425 cooling and cracked head were problems with the green engine

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:49:53 AM »

Anyone can paint an engine any colour they want.

As noted, the serial number is the determiner, not the colour of the paint.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »

BW,

I agree wholeheartedly.  But, color sure can be a "red" flag and Clifford ALWAYS has his nose to the wind for us.

Thank you both for "sage" advice.

I have heard that many times before....about the green engines....SNs.  Not enuf valves and overheated and cracked brand new reconditioned heads and I think the crank setup was inferior.  Took a while for it to sink in that there were two versions.  I wondered why the truckers liked them and why Bus Knuts spoke fondly and then the " AH HA... ..OOOOO....so that's the reason" moment.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: