Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:24:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating Tom Tom GPS Maps  (Read 1010 times)
Fred Mc

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:41 AM »

Has anyone ever had any luck downloading the update maps for their Tom Tom GPS.

I have tried 2 different XL-330-s units and both error out downloading the info.

Very frustrating and Tom Tom support is less than stellar.

Fred Mc.
PD 4106
Gerry H

1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:12 PM »

Fred: My wife has a Garmin that she uses for work related travel and she has it uploaded from time to time with the latest maps. This last time she was told by her IT people that the newest updated maps now require more memory than her older GPS has, so they gave her a choice of uploading new info for the east coast area or west coast area with the Mississippi River being the dividing line. She chose the west coast since she travels there more often and left the east coast info the same. This may or may not be the case with your issue, but if you have an older unit, it could be the source of the error. Might be time to buy a new unit.  Cry

Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »

i've got a tomtom one that we've used for about 2 years.  We regularly update the walmart and a few other maps for it.  however, we are outdated and they want $80 to bring us up to date, and continue for another 18 months.  i think not.

your problem may be related to Vista? or a firewall with your antivirus.  i just know my connection works well, but i'm not sure how you are updating, or trying with yours.  Are you using tomtom home, the latest version, for updating everything?  Does your computer seem to recognize the tomtom?  does the "home" program seem to communicate with the gps and also connect to the tomtom web site?

send me a pm if you have more questions as this probably isn't really about buses.  Grin

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:59:49 PM »

My problem is solved. Looks like it is Vista.

As for this not being bus related I justified it as being bus related as I bought it primarily to use as a speedometer in my bus. Grin Grin Grin

Fred   
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:14:26 AM »

A couple years ago I bought a TomTom Go 730, full of bells whistles blue tooth etc.  I could never get it to apply the free map update that was guaranteed when I purchased the unit.  After replacing the first unit on warranty because it kept freezing, I was finally able to apply a software update but never the map updates.  I became so frustrated with it's horrible logic, it's bugs and total lack of customer support that I purchased a very cheap Garman.

The Garman is not without fault, but it cost 1/3 of what the TomTom cost, never freezes, updates flawlessly,  and has far superior logic when it comes to travel.  Lest I forget, Garman has outstanding customer service, and real people who speak English to assist you.  =)

In a word I'd advise anyone to NEVER BUY a TomTom unless you enjoy throwing money away.

YMMV
IMHO

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:19:30 AM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:53 PM »

Well, I have to agree with you on the service aspect. Despite the fact I finally got the updated map I came away with a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth.

muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:05:08 AM »

I went through this Tom-Tom mess about 2 years ago, I even paid the $70 to upgrade the software, after 3 attempts of trying to download this massive update............(it stopped during download all three times), I shelved it!  I even asked for the upgrades on disc.........evidently my clearance levels have expired...........TOM does suck!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: