Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 09:51:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater hose route question  (Read 1799 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »

Hello bus folks,  Wayne here.  1984 Silver Eagle Model 10.  I have a question about the heater hise route.  In the rear bay, right side back wall are three sets of hoses.  They are green maybe 1 1/4 inch,  red 1 1/4 inch and red maybe 3/4 or 1 inch.  I am assuming the green is for the air, red is for the heater.  The big red Hose comes from a ball valve at the motor and dissapears into the rear bay wall just inside of where the tag axle is located.  Coming back out is the smaller red hose and into a sheet metal pan that is on the roof of the bays and runs the length of the bays.  I am assuming it feeds hot water to the driver's heater.

If it is the driver's heater my next question is, does it circulate hot water all the time and the driver merely allows air across the heater coil upon demand?  If so I want to tap into that hose above the front bay and route the hose to the waste vegtable oil tank to heat that tank.  It would not do me any good if it is not a constant hot water circulation.

I thank you all for any and all advice.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

Wayne, not knowing how someone has plumb yours they are supposed to come from the engine go to the circulation pumps (2 one on each side) then to the 2 control valves at the front fwiw you are not going to have much up front without the pumps.
BTW Happy Birthday see how long you can hang on being 39 lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »

I got a chuckle out of that because I told a young girl the other day I was 39 and she couldn't beleive I was so derned old.  I laughed to myself because i was her age just the other day.  The poor girl has no idea how soon she will be in her 40s.

I am not sure I know what you mean on the pumps.  Does the water not flow from the engine's water pump?

www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:21:23 PM »

I'm only posting this for your information because we have a model 01. Ours does not have any cirulating pumps, at least not that I have found. The engine does all the work. I'll say this, with the new heater core and assembly I put in the front, it works great. Almost too hot, at least for me. I need to do some more work on it to get it like I want but we never go anywhere in the winter! Wink

Happy Birthday!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »

How are you dreamscape?  I might need to do the same thing about the new heater core up front.  I do travel in winter.  When I went to Ponca we never could get the bus inside temp above 55 or 65 degrees because the outside temp was 15 degrees with qa 20 mile per hour wind.  All three heat strips could not keep up.

Luvrbus-Where would the pumps be.  It seemes like to me the big 1 1/4 hose fed water to the bus interior heat at one time.  I am guessing the heater coil for interior is or was right behind the right side tag axle, between the tag and the fuel tank.  It is closed off and sealed with foam so I can't get in there.  At least I don't want to get in there if you tell me it is not needed.  Coming back out id a smaller red heter hose and I believe it goes to the front for the driver.  Tapping into that one would be ideal rather than run 70 feet of heater hose to heat the VO tank.  I might buy a 110 volt band heater and be done with it if it is too much of a pain to tap into that water source.

www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »

Wayne, they should be on the back bulk head behind the engine.
Van has 2 on his Eagle you are going to need one the water pump will not keep it warm you'll freeze your a** off in 0 degree weather no matter what core you have up front and adding another loop will make it worse with no pump.
Contact Van maybe he will sell you one of his as one will work for you if you have no luck contact me I have 2 on a 05 at my place here .

good luck

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:52:53 AM »

What you need to do is tell everybody that you are 10 to 20 years older than you are.....they are usually surprised at how good you look for your age! Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:55 AM »

What you need to do is tell everybody that you are 10 to 20 years older than you are.....they are usually surprised at how good you look for your age! Grin

That is the problem I don't look good at all.  I got a sergeant here who everytime I ask "How are you doing sergeant"  His reply is "Old fat and tired".  Unfortunatley I believe I  know what he is talking about.  LOL

Hello Luvrbus.  I believe I know where the pump would be located since your telling me it is on the back wall of the bay behind the engine.  It makes sense the smaller pump on the motor can't push that much water 80 feet to anf from the motor.  It also makes sense down sizing the hose halfway.  I guess if I went to the front and pulled the hose off and started the bus for a second or two I could figure out if the pumps are working.  If they spew water out then I would imagine they are working.  If not then I will get with van or you to get a new pump.

I have figured out that one better like tinkering with this stuff if he is going to own an older conversion.  Otherwise they might not be driving one for long.

www.snakebreaker.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

Wayne , Clifford is right, they are located on the rear bulkhead behind the engine above the trans(one each side). Do you still have the ball check valves to shut off coolant flow to the front? I am planning on the removal of the system in the near future, I have not tested the pumps yet, but would imagine that they are functioning as the heater does work.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »

Hey Van,  Yessir the ball valves are still there in the open position.  I am  sure some water is headed up front because the heater does work.  It was just now very efficient because the temp was only 15 outside.  The heat strips on the roof were worthless that is for sure.  I felt like a popsicle when along about Dallas.

www.snakebreaker.com
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:48 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:25:00 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

Hey Wayne, If it gets cold just head further south! Roll Eyes

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »

Hey Wayne, If it gets cold just head further south! Roll Eyes

Oh we came back south but it wasn't until south of Dallas before we got above 20 degrees.  for a flatland coastal boy it was cold.

www.snakebreaker.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »

Which coast?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

how about the middle coast Van ,I was watching a game show last week and the young man did not know most of the US is surrounded by 3 bodies of water he could be our next prez what do you think

good luck
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:01:59 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »

LOL! Grin Grin

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 06:54:20 PM »

President or Dictator?

Luvrbus - I beleive the pumps are disabled.  I found where the pumps are mounted, or at least I think.  Wire tied to both if the hose assemblies on both sides is a wire harness.  If that is the case no wonder I was frosty the frozen pheasant hunter.  They are not connected to anything and the ends are taped up.  I believe I am switching gears and I am going to buy a band heater to wrap around the WVO tank.  It can heat the oil using 110 v power from the generator.  I can regulate the temp and I can heat the oil while I am loading up the bus.  I can have it to temp before I leave.

www.snakebreaker.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »

Which coast?
sorry Van , I missed your question.  I live on the gulf coast about 50 miles southwest of Houston.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 04:54:34 AM by wal1809 » Logged

www.snakebreaker.com
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 06:49:48 AM »

Thanks Wayne, seems I have forgotten there was a third body of water around here LOL Grin. Any nominations for President will be respectfully refused  Grin Grin Grin

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: