Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
January 19, 2018, 03:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver vs Green 6V-92  (Read 1494 times)
chuckd

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:47:31 AM »

I did not want to hi-jack a couple of threads out there, so here goes a couple of questions.  I have used the search feature but did not come up with the answers desired.

From previous threads I know the serial numbers for the conversion from Green to Silver on both the 6V-92 an 8V-92, but I cannot find what are the changes that Detroit made in going from Green to Silver?  (other than the color  Smiley )

Second question, in a recent thread about needing a 6V-92 quickly, one of the posters warned against trying to overhaul an early Green engine as they did not have some of the upgrades of the Silver.  My expectation of what was meant is that the overhaul would not be cost effective with the early engine.  Recognize, I never want to upgrade, but is it accurate to say if you want to rebuild a 6V or 8V start with the Silver series?

Thanks

Chuck
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »

My understanding the silver has more metal(beefed up) in stress areas and creates a more resilient engine..prob more to it but in general is a more durable engine...that should start a flood of responses....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »

Gee, Don repainted my 8v71 green.  If I had known, we could have done it silver.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
cody

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

I always thought yellow would be a great color for a detroit lol.
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

Well went to some diesel engine boards and found out the following:

Silver engines had beefed up blocks, larger oil galleries, better engine cooling because of increased size of galleries and number of same, so called dog bone heads with better sealing.

Common wisdom was to not bother with rebuilding a green engine.

Chuckd
Shorty Prevost
Stillwater Mn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: