Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 09:23:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rejuvenating rubber seals  (Read 3676 times)
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2006, 07:02:31 AM »

Hi all,

I would like some ideas on bringing my window and door seals back to life. i used a product a long time ago on pool equip. that was a bright blue, and it was incredible for bringing back seals. Would vaseline work or start degradation? Are there any products for this on the market?

Thanks for the help.

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:29:34 AM »

Hi

I collect Old Scuba Diving Equipement - I use Silicon Spray to keep all the old rubber parts soft and supble.

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:39:48 AM »

Don't use petroleum jelly.  It degrades rubber.

Try glycerin.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:47:38 AM »

Truck supply shops usually carry a product called Rub-R-Lube in spray cans or 1 gallon cans.

It is to treat rubber seals and all kinds of stuff. Made specifically for rubber products.

In the printing business there is a spray product called " Rubber Roller Cleaner and Rejuvenator " It also
will maintain rubber of most types including natural rubber.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 08:30:17 PM »

I had the same concern a few months ago regarding some rubber on the bus. I needed to clean the rubber first and get all the 20 years of grime off. I know it sounds funny but I put the old rubber in a five gallon bucket, and then put on quart of the oxy clean poweder like stuff from the dollar store. It foamed up big times and I let it sit for several hours. I then rinsed off the rubber and did it one more time for another day. As a natural born cynic I thought no way would this work. Much to my suprise the rubber was not only clean of all the grime and build up over twenty years it was also rejuvinated. It worked great! Shocked

I spent five bucks and rejuvinated the old rubber seals. Try it. The local rubber hose supply house suggested a product from 3m that was $35 a pint and I think my stuff was cleaner and looked better.  They also suggested an industrial quality citrus cleaner?

Good luck!

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: