Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 06:26:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Radiator Hose 4106 - We are Stranded  (Read 3453 times)
Madmike

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:26:58 AM »

I am in Milwaukee and headed south to St Louis and NEED UPPER RADIATOR HOSE.  2 3/4" flex hose.  If anyone knows where I can get one please call me 720-345-8229

You can have this bus when you pry her from my cold dead fingers.
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »

I'll Google a NAPA or Auto parts store.

Where exactly are you?

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »

I am in Oak Creek WI.  The mechanic is going to try an patch the hose because they cannot find one.  I do not have a computer and my wife is kindly typing this right now.  Thanks!!

OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »

Good Luck!

Been there, done that!

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »

NAPA  in South Milwaukee 414 762 6272...See if that helps...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:53 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:23:43 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »

Thanks, I will check these out!!

LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »

I guess when this problem is solved, I would LOVE to know the part numbers of the new radiator hose so we can go buy one and throw in it the "spares" box.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:23:19 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 04:21:53 PM »

Radiator hose has been the subject of several threads. 

Dallas has given you the correct answer, but let me expand (based on 34 years at Gates).  First, every application I have seen on a bus consists of metal tubing connected with short pieces of straight hose. 

The straight hose should be of a "wrapped" construction.  This hose has a texture like fabric on the outside.  Do not use hose with convolutions or smooth hose.  The smooth hose has knit reinforcing and it pretty pliable but not durable for tons of miles.

The convoluted hose is generally advertised as being able to fit a lot of automotive applications with one size.  It is terrible stuff.  Don't think about using it on ANYTHING if you can help it.

This is not a place to cut corners.  Get something like Gates Green Stripe and you will be good to go.  Some folks go for silicone hose like that used on commercial trucks.  We don't need that much hose.  It is terribly expensive and hard to seal in many cases (even with constant tension clamps).

For me it is hard to rationalize using the type of hose we do, since truck and bus applications are really less demanding than a car.  Automotive applications routinely run at temperatures over 220* and at pressures of up to 25 pounds.  Our applications rarely get over 210* and pressures are more like 7 psi.  The main difference is the huge mileage that trucks and buses accumulate in a year's time.  Our buses don't accumulate that kind of mileage, but we might as well use the same type of hose that trucks and buses do.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
eddieboy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »

Are you still stranded.  i am just across the border into Illinois.  I might be able to give you ahand.
Ed

Ed Spohr/1962 PD4106/8V71/4Speed/Zion,Ill/Far North East Corner of Illinois
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »

silicone will leak on "old" fittings/surfaces.  If it is free it is really the best.  You can make it seal on any old rusty pipe by mixing up some JB weld and spreading a liberal coat on the DRY rusty  pipe.   Then fit the hose on the pipe but don't tighten the clamp.  The hose is sorta snug....right.  After te JB has cured tighten the clamp and you are good to go.  The hose comes off like it was installed on a new pipe and the fix is semi perminent except that a screwdriver prying under the hose ruins things so you need more JB.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »

First of all I want to Thank Everybody that helped by posting.

I was driving my 4106 from Marquette MI to St. Louis. The upper hose started to leak so I took it to the OakCreek WI Frieghtliner dealer. They could not find the hose and tried to repair it. They charged me $350.00 for some antifreeze 2 hose clamps and a piece of hose. The patch did not work and we only made it about 1 mile from there shop. They closed at soon as we left so they would not look at it until Monday. We would still be stranded on the side of the interstate if it was not for a very nice guy named Terry. He chased down some hose, went to a muffler shop and had a pipe bent and flaired so that we could get down the road. It worked very well and have not seen a drop since he worked on it. Sad thing was, he spent his whole Saturday helping us and we only could give him the last of our money. I know after parts he probally made 80 bucks. He even let us keep a 20 for food on the way home. I now have a new friend and have changed my attidue towards strangers. Thanks again Terry!
I do have the part number for the hose and I will post it on a diffrent message. It is made by Gates and Napa has them at there distribution centers.

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:51:16 AM »

The Freightliner dealership sounds like a place to avoid for sure. Indeed a rip off.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »

I am VERY SORRY but it was the Kenworth Dealer in Oak Creek.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: