Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 07:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is going to be first . . .  (Read 1828 times)
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »

to put one of these in their bus?

730 hp   2582 lb-ft torque   16 liter                Now that is an engine!!

http://www.scania.com/media/calendar/2010/pressroom-new-scania-v8-truck-range/new-scania-v8-truck-range-pressroom.aspx?tab=5

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:28:46 AM »

Then you would need a bigger cooling system too.

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:22 AM »

Looks like a powerhouse but a pretty narrow power band at 1000 to 1400 RPM.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »

The graph is a little misleading, the torque doesn't drop to anywhere near zero at 1800rpm . . .

The 'big' one drops from ~2580 to ~1990 ft lbs.

The little onedrops from ~1850 ft lbs to only ~1475 ft lbs - what a dog . . .  Grin

Where do I sign up to get a free test unit? I could use their beefed up transmission too . . . .  Shocked  Cool  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 08:59:25 AM »

I was on a tour boat in Long Beach Ca that had taken out their twin Caterpillar 3408's and replaced them with the Scania 16 liter @ 530hp @ 1800rpm-which is a continuous rating.  Since I've seen the Cat 3408 in a 4501, the Scania would be a natural replacement.  It is a sweet engine.  Only problem-US transmissions only go to 2200lb/ft of torque-so you'd have to use the Scania transmission also.  The main reason that the trucks in Europe use such large engines over US trucks, is that many countries have 80kph (about 50mph) speed limits on trucks.  AND they cannot go any slower then 10kph less than the speed limit when going up a hill.  So very large engines are used to get up hills.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:49 AM »

Telling my age here but my Dad had 6 of the 14L 350 hp version of the Scania V8 engine in his Mack trucks from the factory in 1970 that engine has been around for a long time

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »

The European rules don't make much sense.  They tax the heck out of fuel to discourage consumption and to fund social programs.  Then, they make a law that trucks can't lose speed on grades so trucking companies put great big engines in their trucks that suck down fuel.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »

I've never actually heard of such a law myself - and it sounds totally impractical to enforce too. But that isn't to say that it isn't on a statute book somewhere - contrary to popular belief there really is no such thing as 'European laws' - each country has it's own laws - for instance trucks have a 60mph speed limit in the UK, whereas it's 56mph (90kph) on most of the continent. I believe some countries do have an 80kph limit, but I'm not sure which ones (Switzerland probably!). Most trucks and buses have speed limiters fitted nowadays (mine included), whereas not very long ago it was very common indeed for coaches to be bouncing cars out of the fast lane at 90mph. Then there was a rash of bad accidents, after which it became socially-unacceptable for coach operators to allow their vehicles to be seen breaking the law so blatantly.

Scania do of course build buses as well - maybe if you tick the right boxes on the order form you can buy one with 2500 ft lbs of torque and be a blatant as you like.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:40 PM »

be as blatant as you like.

Well not in mixed company and only after eating a lot of beans. Huh Roll Eyes

I thought Scania would have a superb reputation here but I heard a rash of bad things about them.  Is that the VOLVO D?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »

I thought Scania would have a superb reputation here but I heard a rash of bad things about them.  Is that the VOLVO D?

John

Scania and Volvo are direct competitors - according to Wikipedia the two companies did try to merge once but the monopoly regulator wouldn't allow it. Wikipedia also says that Scania became a public company in 1995 after the Saab car division was sold, since which both Volkswagen and MAN have become large shareholders.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 08:58:57 PM »

Thanks Jeramy. 

It was Volvo that I heard bad things about and am not sure they were accurate or deserved.

While in Europe I saw a lot of MAN trucks.  They looked quite heavy duty.  I thnk they are sold world wide.

Imagine the Swedish Gummint nixing a merger to maintain competition and keep everybody honest.  Imagine!  You couldn't do that in our country cause some liberal in congress that was in the pocket of big "bidness" would cry foul and start lamenting gummint interference in free enterprize.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
WVA_NATIVE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:25 AM »

Amen brother John, Amen. Can I get a hallelujah.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »

I took a river boat cruise through Germany in 1998 (very pleasant).  At least at that time in Germany the truck speed limit was 80kph and the buses were 100kph.  This is where I found out through direct talking with truck drivers about large engines and not slowing more then 10kph from the speed limit on grades.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: