Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 06:15:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V92TA in MC9 ( ex NJT ) Temperature Questions  (Read 1157 times)
Hartley

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:17:22 AM »

I have been fighting some erratic temperature sensors that I installed with my Cyberdyne LED gauges.

I finally got my mechanical temp gauge replaced in the compartment and it's working fine.

I started diagnosing the digital system and changed the sender and finally got readings similar to the mechanical gauge.

My mechanical gauge is installed in the original factory position on the right thermostat housing. This is also where
the right alarmstat and factory dash gauge senders are located.

My digital gauge is installed in the water pump housing where the 1/2" plug was located. I now have fairly accurate
readings between the mechanical, factory dash and digital gauges.

Here is the poser... The right hand radiator lines are much cooler than the left hand radiator lines.

There appears to be more heat coming from the left hand side of the engine which is also where the water pump is located while the right side is about 30 degrees cooler. This measurement was taken with an IR temp gun after many passes at different points along the tubes, pipes and cast housings.

In the same grain of that thought the left radiator is transferring much more heat than the right side when the engine temps are about 180 degrees.

My question is basically is the left side of the engine passing more heat than the right due to proximity of the oil cooler and water pump. Rationality says that it would since the water is going to take the shortest route to the radiator closest to the pump....??

I do know that when the engine is up at full running temperature both radiators seem to be passing about the same amount of heat and the temperature drop across the radiators is about the same.

Has anyone else noticed this or would it be considered a problem area to watch?

I have not had an overheat issue at any time. My biggest bugger right now is trying to find the voltage drop/increase when I turn the lights on that affects my dash gauges. I get a near 20 degree swing upwards and have checked and double checked the grounds and still have not found out where this wierd problem is located. Turn off the lights and everything settles back down.

The other thing that is bugging me is the oil pressure gauge. My mechanical in back says 27 psi at idle and 55 psi at 1800 rpm.
my digital won't even read and says "LO" most of the time and then will only show 25 psi at full throttle. Maybe its also related
to the grounding issue, I am still trying to find that....Huh?

Hopelessly Paranoid in Florida......

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:41:02 AM »

Dave,
    I have noticed that my left radiator tubes are hotter than the right. Maybe because the water pump is on the left? I have dual dash gauges with the senders installed in the thermostat housings. The right cylinder head usually runs about 5 degrees hotter.  I have talked to several people with dual gauges and everyone said they noticed the same thing. Maybe because the water pump is on the left side?.  Maybe the engine could be re-designed to have 2 water pumps like the old flathead Ford V8 LOL  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:44:46 AM »

Dave,

I don't know how MCI's handle grounding, my 4104 has a heavy (4/0?) ground cable from end to end and tied to the body at several places.

Several folks have had problems lately on this board with erratic instruments.

I  suggest that you run a heavy (at least #6) ground from the engine to the dash area and ground all your instruments to it.
Even a temporary setup will easily prove the theory.
Good luck,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:38:57 AM »

Dave,

I don't know how MCI's handle grounding, my 4104 has a heavy (4/0?) ground cable from end to end and tied to the body at several places.

Several folks have had problems lately on this board with erratic instruments.

I  suggest that you run a heavy (at least #6) ground from the engine to the dash area and ground all your instruments to it.
Even a temporary setup will easily prove the theory.
Good luck,

Len

I found the grounding problem, Turns out that the dash panel gets its instrument ground from the drivers side junction panel.
I ran a # 6 line to the frame down below in the auxillary bay and grounded the side panel and then ran new ground bonds
to the dash cluster. It's a Miracle.. My oil pressure digital gauge now works correctly and the temp gauges no longer fluctuate with
the lights switched on and off.. Shocked Grin

I find it odd that the side panel area is not bonded with a ground wire somewhere. It appears as though they depended on the mechanical connection to the sidewall where it's riveted to the end of the dashboard. Odd.....

A side note for anyone converting an EX-NJT transit. Before you throw out the turnstile mount open it up and grab the 24 volt to 12 volt
converter that is inside it. It's good for 7 to 13 amps @ 12 volts. Makes a nice power supply to run a backup monitor and other electronics.

More to come... Just gotta get moving again... Too HOT outside....

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:37:05 PM »

The board has crashed and dumped me 4 previous tries at posting this message....

Found the other cause of air flow loss on my Bus....

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »

Dave, I have been on and off the board all day with no problem. Maybe something on your end?  And what is the photo of?
Richard

The board has crashed and dumped me 4 previous tries at posting this message....

Found the other cause of air flow loss on my Bus....

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: