Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 02:20:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo evaluation......  (Read 1708 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »

I just read past post on turbo rebuilding...my question is...unknown turbo status...just bought a 60 series with around 300,000 on hubometer....it has a Detroit re man turbo GTA 42...what should I ck or is there a way to tell when it was rebuilt...what is normal life of a turbo??I have some turbo experience on race cars...but what is allowable in the real world..your knowledge is needed....engine assembly is on stand in shop now so easy to get to.....Bob..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

Bob, I need a little more info.   Did you buy a late style DDEC 4 engine 2000 to 2002?

The Reman turbo should have a tag on it.   Post the numbers and I'll post the info.   HP ratings

The early S60 turbochargers failed by snapping the tailshaft right at the compressor wheel.   As more power was required out of these engines a wastegate was introduced to limit and maintain the shaft speed.   

If you are concerned about the condition and lifespan of the existing turbo, you could replace the center section with new or have it rebuilt.   
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:28 AM »

it is a 2000 ddec IV has a controlled wastegate gate will get #s and post soon ....is a 12.7 ltr 60 series...came out of freightlinner has Eaton autoshift behind it....Model GTA42...PN.R23528065.....SN 06582G.B0203
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:53:35 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »

The turbo shop I use claims the waste gated Garrett turbos that Detroit uses on the Series 60 has some problems with compressor wheels coming apart. They recommend the Schwitzer it has a billet machined compressor wheel. The best price I can find on a Detroit reman is about $750. I can buy the new Schwitzer for about $900. For an extra $150 I'm going for the Schwitzer and at this time you don't need a core and I think a good core or used turbo has some value that may offset the extra $150.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:07 PM »

Hi Ken we need to visit...I.m still determining if I need to replace or if I'm within tolerance...have a few thousands play with dry bearings (been sitting for 2 or 3 years)so plan on putting oil to them and measuring play again..hopeing not to have to buy one..your putting a 60 s in what year prevost..prob with trans clearing tag axle?

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »

Ken, the correct specs are 3K Borg Warner K31's..    I have 4 new ones sitting on the shelf..

I've built a Zero Clearanced/ported >ceramic coated  unit for my S60..   It's all in the efficiency.
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:25:25 AM »

Robert, I'm putting a 14 liter Series 60 with an Ultrashift in my 40 ft 1988 Prevost. I think it will clear the tag axle and radius rod with no problem. The only issue at this point is drive shaft length. I may decide to lose the bus air, that would allow about 2 more inches of drive shaft. I really want to remove the bus air anyway, I just don't want to do it now because I'll need to add a compressor to keep the dash air working and I need to make that next year's project.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:43 AM »

Ken I have a 89 XL and it came with .a auxiliary air compressor for aux rear passanger cooling...have bracket and you could size hoses and design off of the drivers air I have in the new project....I plan on retaining it.but have some parts off 89 aux set up.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

Zero,

Agreed!  How do you make it more efficient?  Got pics of you porting and ceramic work that you can share.  Proprietary understood.

How much would a wet blanket/wrap add to the efficiency.  Would that shorten the turbo life in any way?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: