Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 15, 2017, 04:28:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Tires  (Read 2042 times)
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »

Had new tires put on front and drive axle, moved tires from front to bogey axle.  Now the old girl wants to drift too the left.  What could have possibly happened?
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »

What brand and size? Did you have them balanced? Just curious because I've got to do the same thing soon.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:56:12 PM »

Sounds like it's time to have your coach aligned. I just had 6 new tires put on my bus and I too put my old fronts on the tag axle. I drove about 1300 miles right after having them installed and it actually helped my bus! It ran very smooth and tracked exceptional. Even going over bumps was smoother. I was asked after a few miles if I felt any difference and I told them no other than it being better!

My guess is, your now having more rubber on the ground with better grip. Don't think it's a balance problem because that would most likely cause a shimmy in the steering wheel. Sounds more like an alignment problem!

Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »

Ditto on Ace's advise.  I would recheck all the pressures and put a few miles on it  before spending the bucks to align it if it's not a serious issue.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:05:34 PM »

Yep, check tire pressures, and check that a brake isnt dragging for some reason.

Drive it a while...if it doesnt improve, alignment is likely in order.

Or, return tags to the front again and new front to tags....if it tracks straight, you have a tire problem.

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v71N MT654 Automatic
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »

JC, how long has it been since you had a 3 axle alignment just having the front alignment is not going to help much the boogie's gets out of alignment just like the front it will pull and for what ever the reason it is always to the left like others say you probably have more grip on the ground now with different tires on the boogies.
Have a 3 axle alignment done on your Eagle you will be surprised at the difference.
Drive it on some gravel that will show tire marks and you will notice the difference in the tracking if the boogies are out or on payment if you are leaving heavy dark marks when making a turn.
When the boogies on a Eagle are in alignment they leave very little marks on pavement when turning.
If your alignment shop needs the tapered ring to adjust the boogies or the shims for the front let me know I have some or Jefferson can overnight to you 

good luck
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:45:31 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:31 AM »

What brand and size? Did you have them balanced? Just curious because I've got to do the same thing soon.

Paul

Paul they are 11R X 24.5  H rated which are 16 Ply.  They are Kelly Armorsteel KRH all position tires.  Six of them cost me $2300.00 Mounted, Balanced and moved fronts to bogie.  Kelly Springfield is owned by Goodyear Tire Company.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:10:09 PM »

That's a pretty good price, Thanks for getting back to me.

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 06:51:07 PM »

I just bought four Kuhmos and ran about 3500 miles with them.  (I had recently bought Kuhmos for the wifes car.)  I am pleased with their performance.  Cost was about $390 each. FWIW
Dennis   

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

Try switching the front tires right to left, left to right on the rims.  If it still pulls to the same way, you have an alignment problem.  If it pulls the other way, you have bad tires.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: