Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:53:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A curious vibration in my RTS  (Read 846 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: August 10, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

My RTS has got a strong vibration that is felt throughout the coach. It only occurs while passing through 50-53 mph range either accelerating and decelerating.  In other words, when accelerating it starts when I hit 50 mph and stops by 54 mph and when decelerating it starts at 53 and goes away at 49 mph.

As additional info, it is a 82 RTS II with 6V92T/730.  The 2nd to 3rd shift point is 25-30mph under normal conditions.  The maximum limit of 2nd is 45mph.

I have read that it is a common problem for 2nd gear to drag a little in the 730.  Would this cause this type of symptom?  If not, any ideas?
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »

Have you joined the RTS group?  Lot's of info and knowledgable folks there.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RTS-bus-nuts/

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »

My RTS did that once. Turned out to be a tire problem on an inside dual that was out of round and underinflated due to
a leak. Actually broke the bead loose and the tire flopped around on the rim only at certain speeds.

The only other thing to check is the transmission modulator, It may have a weak spring or leak in the air line that could
cause the transmission to start hunting gears or lock-unlock the torque converter.

Do you still have the a/c compressor on top of the transmission that runs off the PTO pulley. I had a FLX that had a
bad PTO that rattled at certain engine speeds. It finally stopped turning when the gear cluster driving it failed and it stopped making noise too...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

Check the driveshaft u-joints and the output flange and retaining nut on the trans too.
Take a look at the bolts that hold the d-shaft flange to the trans output flange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: