Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A curious vibration in my RTS  (Read 837 times)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« on: August 10, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

My RTS has got a strong vibration that is felt throughout the coach. It only occurs while passing through 50-53 mph range either accelerating and decelerating.  In other words, when accelerating it starts when I hit 50 mph and stops by 54 mph and when decelerating it starts at 53 and goes away at 49 mph.

As additional info, it is a 82 RTS II with 6V92T/730.  The 2nd to 3rd shift point is 25-30mph under normal conditions.  The maximum limit of 2nd is 45mph.

I have read that it is a common problem for 2nd gear to drag a little in the 730.  Would this cause this type of symptom?  If not, any ideas?
Chris 85 RTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »

Have you joined the RTS group?  Lot's of info and knowledgable folks there.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RTS-bus-nuts/

1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:53 PM »

My RTS did that once. Turned out to be a tire problem on an inside dual that was out of round and underinflated due to
a leak. Actually broke the bead loose and the tire flopped around on the rim only at certain speeds.

The only other thing to check is the transmission modulator, It may have a weak spring or leak in the air line that could
cause the transmission to start hunting gears or lock-unlock the torque converter.

Do you still have the a/c compressor on top of the transmission that runs off the PTO pulley. I had a FLX that had a
bad PTO that rattled at certain engine speeds. It finally stopped turning when the gear cluster driving it failed and it stopped making noise too...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Sammy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:14:07 PM »

Check the driveshaft u-joints and the output flange and retaining nut on the trans too.
Take a look at the bolts that hold the d-shaft flange to the trans output flange.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: