Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 04:48:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista windows for a 4108  (Read 833 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »

Hey guys,
  I have the fiberglass panels in my bus now. I looked into vista windows a couple years ago, and, as was told here, plenty of lefts, not many rights.  Grin  (error apparent)
   I still want to have transparent windows up there so I was considering Lexan or Plexi-glass. Has anyone else done this?? I would consider trying to find "glass" again but I'm all but SURE that I would be replacing the right side at some point also.  Roll Eyes lol
  Soooooo, which plastic would be best, and, if anyone else has done it, what is the best thickness and what's the best way to go about it? I have a new gasket and tool from Luke.
   Thanx guys,
        Chaz   

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »

Dang, no one has done this?? Looks like I will have to "Boldly go where no man has gone before".  Smiley
They have a little curve in them and that is why I am curious about which to use. I think plexi can "form" with a heat gun (which I don't have) so I may try fanning with a torch lightly.
Also, I'd like to use the one that will hold up to the elements the best.
 Thanx again,
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »

Chaz, this thread, http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=13647.0, has some mention of Lexan windows.  While the OP had a professional do the installation there is some discussion on how to work with the material.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »

Outstanding. Thanx Mike. That thread had some good info. I'd like to understand the "expanding" aspect of it more so I can get a good fit. If anyone has a rule of thumb that works, I'd be interested.. Otherwise, it looks like trial and error. I'm figuring just measuring the thickness of the fiberglass and go with that. I'm not sure if there would be a benefit for thicker or thinner.
  Thanx again!!!!!
     Chaz

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 06:09:40 PM »

The PO of my bus broke the glass in the destination sign on mine and replaced it with some type of clear plastic. He says Plexiglas but I have no way of knowing. The sun destroyed mine, it clouded up, cracked and warped, I filled it in last year. I guess it was 10 years old when I took it out but it should have been done much sooner. I think aircraft plastic windshields hold up better, so talk to someone who knows plastic before you start. HTH.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: