Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new tire brand selection  (Read 5097 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

Cooper seems to be getting out of the truck line.  they're second line Roadmaster is all i could find, even calling Cooper in Findlay.  they also don't seem to have a lot of truck tire dealers available for any service work.  This is just based on what the customer service rep said, what he could find in the area for dealers.

BK had me convinced to buy Kumho, but i can't find a price with installation around here for my bus.

They guys who wanted to sell me Toyo's said they can't get truck tires right now, problems with production?? 

they then suggested General or Continental as an extremely good bus tire, almost or as good as Michelin, and i wouldn't have to pay for Michelin on the side of the tire.
Continental is the only web site i've been to that makes a big deal about buses.  with pics of buses.  granted they are fancy new tour buses like BK's, but they still have to have tires similar to what i need - quiet and safe and economical.

Any one using them or know anything about using continental or general (owned by continental).  The General's are $350 balanced and mounted and fet.  Continental's are about $410.  i don't want to buy just based on price.  no one has mentioned Continental good bad or otherwise.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:28 PM »

Tom,
Shoot if I could get General's or Continental's that cheap around here I'd be running them over Kumho's any day! (as long as they are made in the US and not at the plant in Mexico! They had a lot of problems with the quality of the tires coming out of Mexico just before dad and many others lost their jobs to the Mexico plant. {but on a side note dad and "some of the others got an extension on their jobs while HUNDREDS of trailer loads of tires were shipped into the Mayfield plant to be quality tested before being distributed! And less than 30% passed! This was all auto tires made in Mexico, and as far as dad knows the truck/bus tires are still made in Mt. Vernon, IL!)

After FET and mounting & balancing my last Kumho's cost me $420 out the door! FWIW.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »

i've found prices much lower in ohio, or maybe it's just that i was getting tourist prices in texas and florida.

i've been posting the prices just for comparison in case someone does know a better place to get tires mounted.

Don't know where the tires are from, just that i'll be checking dates prior to install.  No 2 year old tires for me.

Tom

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 08:56:50 PM »

I can honestly say that I never had any tires last for 8-10 yrs on my truck because they were long past worn out.  For what it's worth, I can say that I have seen some 25 yr old casings on rail container chassis that were still going down the road  but this was many yrs ago and don't remember who made the casings.

My friend hauled railroad chassis in the last few years and the tires were junk on them.  A local tire dealer had a full time guy at the railroad yard fixing and replacing tires on the chassis.  My friend would often grab a chassis and have to get another one because it had a bad tire.  He also had tire failures on the road pretty often.

I wouldn't doubt if the railroad were using better tires back then, but not today apparently.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 04:27:27 AM »

Tom, Another Eagle owner got a great price on Toyo's last year at Diamond Truck Center, Howe, close to Sherman TX. $2400 for eight, mounted and balanced. That's where we're going to get ours on our way to TBR 2010. If my memory serves me, they were 11R 24.5. I"m sure the price will be up by the time we get there.

Tire talk is close to politics, every one has an opinion! Grin

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »

ok, we've finalized our purchase.  We ordered Continental hsr2 tires, 11r24.5, for the front.  about $410 installed and balanced.  I'm sure it will be more because i wnat the old ones put on the right side drives. 

Their website is the only one that seems to pay attention to buses.  i know that doesn't make their tires run well, but it does show me that they are interested in getting more fleet business.  I've got a big mouth and am internet savvy and if they end up being bad tires, all of you will know it.

i'd rather have excellent tires.

Tom

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 04:16:23 AM »

guess the Continental update will have to wait.  Kaufman Tire, which has a bunch of locations in Ohio, Florida, and  Georgia, said they could do a wheel alignment.  i talked to the alignment guy.  all he wanted is specs.  After 15 min, he informed me he could see the left wheel was out by 1.7 deg, but he had no idea how to "shim" it back to 0 deg even with the instructions of the Eagle site.

I think his boss just didn't want him spending a bunch of time when he could be making easier money on trucks.  in any case, i declined to put new tires on until i can get it aligned, now that they at least confirmed why it's pulling right and wearing on the side of the tires.  on the good side, no charge by them for confirming what i told them.  on the bad side, camber still out, no new tires, and 8 gal of fuel wasted.

another good side.  we were babysitting my 3 yr old grandson who got to "drive the bus" and blow the horn on a beautiful day.

more later when i re-read the instructions myself and then try to find someone or tools to do it myself.

Tom

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 04:23:19 AM »

Plenty of people in the south that can do the alignment! You should always make plans to do work on it B4 you go home! Floridians need and want your money! Smiley

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 04:26:32 AM »

Bro,
  If you can wait until next winter, there is a company in Orlando area that i have heard a lot of positive comments about. I think the name of the company is J0-San or something like that. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »

ace, i got my bogies done in Lakeland where they work on buses quite a bit and i did leave some cash in Florida.  Guess i really should have gone to Webster where they really do know Eagles.  next winter, i'm going to suggest the guys in Lakeland get a scale so they know rather than guess when the bogies are adjusted right.
i just have this opinion now that frame/suspension issues are better in webster while engine/transmission are better in lakeland.  jmo  Smiley

unfortunately, i don't want to wait until i get back (if i get back, hope fuel doesn't go up much more) for JB to do the suspension.

Tom

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »

Uhh Tom, although Lakeland does mechanical work, they DO have a good source for doing alignments! You just have to ask! Smiley
Webster? Uggghh! Beware of being ripped! BTDT

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 07:08:58 AM »

Tom, have a 3 axle alignment done on your Eagle very few shops can do one but it is worth the money to you if you can find a shop.
 I have mine done in Eugene OR at Dick Kaiser's and I buy my Toyo Tires 12rx 22.5 in Oregon where I pay no sales tax, mounting or balancing fees and fwiw they are on sale every June.
The Toyo is the best tire I found for a Eagle for ride and handling like buying ice cream and I think you got a good tire

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »

Now Clifford, usually your suggestions are great and very wise.  However, i just can't see the wisdom in driving from Ohio to Oregon and back at a cost of at least $4k, just to save $500 or so on tires. and there has to be somebody in the vicinity closer that can do a good alignment of front axles.

wonder if MCI which has a facility about an hour south, could adjust the wheels and alignment?  Any thoghts out there about it?

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »

Tom, that would not be a smart move I was just pointing out if you are in the area Oregon is the place to buy tires.
 With a 3 axle alignment make sure the place has the tapered spacer before letting the shop tear it down or you maybe there while waiting on parts. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »

Lots of people in the Great North West read this board.  It isn't only "international", as Hargreaves Smiley will verify.  So, if you are reading this in Australia, please don't think Clifford was making a suggestion that was directed directly at you. Huh Roll Eyes Wink Grin  Lots of people fit a stop at Kaiser's in Eugene into their trans country jaunts,  They have a solid rep that extends well outside our vicinity. Kiss

John the Eugene resident Grin Grin Grin Cool

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: