Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 08:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awnings - how do you.........  (Read 6768 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »

Will do Ed. I'm no stranger to tore up hands doing what I do. (presently 2 blood blisters and three cuts healing. All separate incidents. Three with gloves on.)  Tongue     Roll Eyes

Thanx again Van, It was good talking with ya. I went to that site and it looks like I have an older model yet!!! As I thought. It may be a predecessor to one of those shown. I just didn't see the same configuration to any of the hardware. I may try to take pix of what I have and post it, but basically, I think I can use the info of one of the models shown. Three of them look similar: Spirit, Fiesta or Simplicity Plus.
 I just need to find a deal on a canvas now.  Roll Eyes  Grin

Thanx again,
 Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »

Sorry bout the wrong link. I have seen quite a few dealers on eBay advertising 89 bucks for replacement material cut and prepped for installation might check there first Chaz, remember those three models you mentioned all have the same legs and the upper and lower mount hardware are interchangeable with one another Wink. You'll have it made in the shade in no time Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »

I have a carefree on my bus. If weather permits I will take some photos of how/where it is mounted. I am quite sure I have the installation instructions and can scan them for you if you still need them. It would be the weekend before I could do it. Just let me know.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 03:06:18 AM »

If you can add the aluminum protective cover, I would Highly recommend it.  Will add about another foot and will hold up much longer.   My vinyl is starting to go away up there being exposed all the time.

Also, I know it may be tough on to do on a buffalo, if you can get it over the front door you will like too.  Mine is not and would be nice if it was.

If you look on their website with the link provided by VAN,  the Pioneer can make it a hand crank so you won't have to worry about the spring.  So you may be able to add some length.  Just remember you are limited by the length of your rafter arms and being able to tighten them up. Smiley   But it looks like about 8' is all you are gonna get.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:30:13 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 07:47:33 AM »

Thanx Van. I'll check out ebay first. I'm just usually skeptical about stuff on there. If anyone has any experience with someone - good or bad - I wouldn't mind knowing.
The legs do seem the same but it kinda looks like that's where the similarity ends. But I'll be looking into it further.

I'd really appreciate that Barnowl!! Pix help a lot. But they can also take a bunch of time to do. If you're busy, don't worry about it. And as for the instructions, I'm curious as to how old yours are? The ones on the site Van sent are for newer models. If yours is one of those, there is no reason to spend your time to send them. I can get them there easy enough. I'm just thinking mine is a quite a bit older model. ( maybe pre Civil War.  Cheesy lol )

I think I would actually like to add that Newbee. But, again, I'm not sure I can. The "age thing" has me concerned. I also read something that what I think they do to the regular canopy's is "weld on" (as it were) something to protect the canopy when it's rolled up. I think they just mean they basically "melt" another layer of something on the first foot or so from the bus to protect it. "I think"!!  And as far as adding a foot or so with the aluminum protector, I would really like that but I am concerned about possibly having to shorten the arms/legs the way it is. I haven't done any final measurements yet, but I may have to do some "modifications". If anyone else has put one on a Buffalo, I'd like to know if anything like that has to be done.
 Because of the "step" on the top of the Buffalo, putting it over the door would be VERY hard to do. The end would basically have to hang out in the air. But a smaller awning could maybe be put there.
The spring doesn't bother me and now that you mention using a hand crank for a longer canopy, I understand why they have hand cranks. I was curious about that.  Roll Eyes
  Thanx again for all the help!!
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »

It's raining hard today so no photos possible. My awning was installed sometime before '96 because that is when the PO quit driving it. My guess it was installed sometime in the '80s.

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 09:31:59 AM »

Cool!!!!!!!! I would guess that is somewhere close to mine. And you still have the instructions?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??  Wow.
As for the pix, no problem. If you get time, that would be great. If not, that's OK too. I still need to get a new canopy anyway. I looked on ebay and there are a couple on there a little cheaper but no "steals". There is a company there selling "blems" but no pix. I'm a little concerned about them. But they are only running about 120.00. tempting.

Thanx again!!
    Chaz

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »

I THINK I found a brochure on my awning!!!!!!!  Here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-Carefree-Awning-Motorhome-Travel-Trailer-Brochure-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem518c334808QQitemZ350244521992QQptZMotorsQ5fRVQ5fTrailerQ5fCamperQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

At least that is what my canopy looks like!!

Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »

Chaz, You can retrofit arms, or covers to your roller. Carefree has the uniguard, or alumaguard. The owner/install manuals on the wabsite will be colse enough to get all the info. you need. And as said before WATCH THE FINGERS!!!! If it gets away from you it is like a meat grinder!! Good luck! Ericbsc
crown

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »

hi this guy is good to work with and he knows his awnings and rv parts he sells on e bay and has a place in fl. known him since 99
 he as even came to costa rica a few times he dont sell junk i known because he checks all fabric before selling the day i was there
he was throwing out fabric that was damaged i brought a few home with me if you want tell him john from costa rica sent you
e bay  tomsrvpartsclearance # 250258692587 crown

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:37 PM »

Thanx Eric and John,
  I emailed the guy you told me about on ebay to see what he has. Hopefully he will have something I can use. I appreciate the lead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Kudo's,
    Chaz

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 08:21:37 PM »

Chaz,

Sent you a big gmail attachment of pdf files. Pics will have to come later. Just ran out of daylight getting the manual to pdf.

Barn Owl

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »

Got it!!!!!!!  Thanx Laryn! It didn't want to work at first, but it came up. I just breezed over it but didn't notice anything about my one main question: Do I HAVE to attach the bottom of the leg at the floor line of the inside of the bus? I'm just wondering if the distance from where the awning is mounted to where the bottom of the leg is mounted makes a big difference. I know there are some adjustments on the pieces, just not sure of the parameters. I guess I will find out when I do it. I just wanted to have that figured out when I call in a couple markers from friends to come over and give me a hand. I'll look it over a little better tomorrow.
  Thanx again for doing that!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
      Chaz

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »

Chaz, they recommend mounting the lower leg mount at the belt line for rigidity, it will flex in and out if just mounted to the panel alone, adjust the leg length to accommodate the height of the roller. This is not to say the lower mount cannot be mounted higher if needed, as long as you add some support behind the area needed to prevent the flexing that will occur with the awning open and the weight is on the legs. If your side panels are part of the support structure, the height of the lower bracket might not be so critical. install the awning rail first then measure down( plumb) to accommodate for the length of the fully collapsed legs, so you do not end up short, you can then extend the measurement if needed.

I only had to extend mine 1 Hole to match the bottom, had I gone higher, just would extend that many more holes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:19:29 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »

When I get the pics to send I think it will help a lot. Needs to quit raining....arghhh!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: