Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:45:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Awnings - how do you.........  (Read 6901 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 07:06:43 PM »

OK, barring rain tomorrow, I'm going to give my awning a shot. A buddy stopped by today and we sized it up. It looks as tho the largest outside aluminum "arm" piece if you will, (the piece you see when it's stored. sorry, I don't know the proper name.) needs to be cut down. That piece is over 6 feet long and from where I need to mount it at the top to the floor line, it's only about 5 feet. Van's picture shows that piece.
We laid it out on the ground and it seems that since the awning is very adjustable with all the sliding parts, we "should".......... again......... "should" be OK. I'm just a little concerned about cutting that much off.

(Wow, Rain just started beating down. Maybe it WON"T happen tomorrow! Undecided)

Oh, and where I bought my "track" for the canopy, the guy told me that I should extend the track past the ends of the canopy at least a foot. He said it helps support the ends on the canopy when you are driving down the road.    Huh    Huh  I dunno. I'm thinking maybe one hole would do it. Whatcha think??
  I bought enough s.s. screws to put one in every hole and they are spaced about every 4" to 5" or so. I thought that would be enough. And on top of that, since I have a Buffalo, and it's a 20' awning, the front arm will be between the "D" window and the "odd ball" shaped window so I don't have room for that much track in front of the awning. If it is that critical, I can weld a little tab under the track on either end, to help support the ends.  Thoughts??

Oh and one more thing, the canopy that is on it  - that I am definitely going to replace - is only about 6 feet long. Hope that doesn't screw me up. I need to go with a 8' canopy.
  Thanx again guys!!
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »

Sorry you don't have photos from me. My phone line took a lighting hit and I have been out of internet for a week and Verizon still has not got me fixed as of today. I am posting from work which I have to do during a break. Also I had to buy a new camera last Friday because the on/off switch came up missing on the old one, and wouldn't you know it......Not one of my children know anything about it! On top of all that it has rained on me just about everyday I am at home, and the sun shines everyday I am at work. For some reason the awning gods don't want me to help you Chaz. I will still get the photos, but it has not been easy to this point. As for mounting goes, it is my opinion that you can attach it to just about anywhere you want to on the side of the bus. The bus skin is strong enough to handle it. Mine has not been attached anywhere special.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »

Well, My Buddy, Rusty, and I got it on this weekend. At least to the point where I think I will be good. I still have to get a new canopy to finish it. But it's up and looking pretty good.
I mounted it to the floor line ,but to do so, I had to cut 18" off the aluminum arms that is the exterior part you see when it's closed. (3" wide and heavy) I will only have 6" of over lap but I intend to make 2 thumb screws holds per side to "hopefully" help hold it. I'll weld on 4 small 3/8" thick blocks, tap them and insert Heli-coils for extra holding strength in the aluminum. I'd use Riv-nuts if I had them.   
Bottom line, I certainly did not want to cut that much off but I had no choice if I were to mount it to the floor line and it's pretty tough to go any lower.  Roll Eyes Then, while drilling at the floor line, I find out that there is some sort of framing or layers of framing there that lag bolts will not screw into so I ended up taping it for regular bolts. There was a lot of meat there. I'd say, at least 3/8" to a 1/2" thick. I'm also mounting the center pole so I can remove it, as well as the lower mount, so my bay door will open and stay open.
  Thanx for all the help guys. I too will get pix when it's done if someone needs to see how I did it.
     Thanx again,
             Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 09:42:17 AM »

I got an awning coming but I can't figure out how to get the old one off!
I know I'm not the slickest slide on the playground but..............  Huh Huh Huh
I assume the end caps need to come off but I've tapped on them as hard as I care to and they won't budge. It has some years on it. 20-30 maybe, I don't know.
  Any suggestions?HuhHuh
Chaz

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »

Chaz,
   First what brand is it and model if you know?   Spring inside roller is under tension, have you released all the spring ternsion?  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 03:36:10 PM »

It's an older Carefree. Oh yeah, springs are as limp as............ well, let's not go there.  Roll Eyes

There are three 1/2" long sleeves that look to be rivited on the outside of the end caps. I think they help keep it from unrolling when up. I don't know if they go thru or not.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »

OK, Carefree owners, your turn.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 07:44:57 PM »

Chaz, did you take out the screw that holds the end cap to the leg? I'm lost now, is this another awning? Grab some pix of the beast so's we can take a gander Wink
 P.S. Take one of the awning you just put up too ok? Smiley
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:46:29 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 06:51:40 PM »

Took photos today for future readers/searchers. Front, rear, top mount.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »

Here are the pix of the awning parts. It's my understanding this is an "original" Carefree awning.

As you can see, I modified the bottom of the arm for two 3/8" locking knobs. Maybe over kill but I don't like things to break.  Wink
Now that it's mounted, and I don't have to worry about messing up any paint, I think I'll have most of it sand blasted and powder coated to match the color I want to paint the bus.

So how do I put the new canopy on?? Do I have to beat those caps off?? I hope it's easier than that as I tried tapping pretty hard - to the point it was distorting - and it didn't budge. And I don't think there are any parts available for it either.
  Thanx guys,
     Chaz

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »

Got my new canopy a couple minutes ago and still no one knows how to put it on? Dang. I guess I'll just try beating on the caps harder. I can't see any other fasteners except the rivets holding the round spacer/rings/studs/ whatever. I don't want to drill them out if not necessary as I don't know if I have any to replace them with.

Thanx Guys,
  Chaz

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:18 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:11:55 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:51 PM »

Thanx Dallas. I can't see if they go thru or not but since you think they do, I'll take the shot at drilling them out. I'd just rather not open that can if it isn't necessary. It just seems odd that a person would have to go thru all that to change a canopy. It is, what I'm told, an "original" Carefree so maybe that's just the way they did it in the beginning.
As far as rivets, I'll let ya know. I'm sure I would have to buy a box just to get 6. And I'm not sure where to go. Goggle will probably be my best friend.  Grin

Thanx again for the info and offer!
    Chaz

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »

Drill the rivets out of the cap knock the cap off and there should be 3 rivets that locks the spring and they usually go through the fabric unless you have the plastic lock.
Wow blood tore up hands and a trip the ER to change a awning doesn't get better than that Chad lol sure glad I have Zip Dee's

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:49 PM »

Wow! Mine is a little newer, but just the same the newer ones have the slot molded into the cap like ours, drill the rivets, and make sure the thing is unsprung . LOL! FWIW I don't know how old the Carefree co.is, but last weekend was the 100th aniversary of the RV Grin Grin good luck Chaz and keep us posted(it ain't over til the large lady sings Grin) Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: