Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 10:22:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many rooftop a/c's?  (Read 3362 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:12 AM »

Welcome Mike! 
It is always better to overbuild in the first go round than to try to add later.  Roof airs almost always require cutting the roof and roof supports and welding in new supports.  Not very easy or desirable to do that after you put in a nice new ceiling!  I have seen as many as 5 roof airs on some Prevosts!  I figure one roof air per living area.  1 for the driver and front living area, 1 for the kitchen /rear living area, one for the bathroom/bunk area and 1 for the bedroom.  Definitely have it spray foamed.  That was some of the best money I spent!  With as many people as you are going to carry, and since you could face a great range of temps, you should build for the worst mother nature can throw at you.  Go for 4 rooftops.  This also means redundancy!  If one goes out, you're still probably fine.  Don't forget that when you think about heat.  I have 2 propane furnaces in my bus.  It gives me the option to run smaller furnaces in the places I want heat.  Good luck and keep asking questions.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 06:08:07 AM »

There are a few other factors that will determine how many ACs you will need. How well is the coach insulated? Poorer insulation allows more heat to transfer through the walls/ceiling. The ACs have to remove this heat.  What color is the coach painted? Darker colors absorb more heat, which has to be removed by the ACs. How much glass and/or awnings. The more light that comes in through trhe glass, the more radiant heat that the ACs have to remove.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:40 AM »

BG6: I admit to an interest in the portable units from the standpoint of no possibility of a leaky roof. Are these like window a/c units you would put in a bedroom window? Any more info on them I'd appreciate it.

No, these are a standing unit with a length of dryer duct to pump the heat outside.  You put them where you want them, move them from room to room, etc.  They are about 24 - 30 inches tall, 18 inches wide and a foot deep.  I don't see any reason that you couldn't hang them on the wall if you wanted to.

I've been seeing them at my local Costco for a month or so for something like $400 each, and they are at the big hardware places.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are also at Walmart, so just call around and you'll find them.  DO NOT say you're putting them into an RV -- if one goes bad, you don't want someone saying that you caused the problem.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 04:29:19 PM »

I believe it was Jerry Liebler who said that the portable units are grossly over rated in terms of BTUs.  Do you have enough space for a number of these?

I have two roof tops and I need one more up front.  I have tons of glass up front and one roof top isn't cutting it.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 06:52:24 PM »

Go with 4 if you are going to be in warm climates. I have 3 and wished for one more. Live in florida No less than 15kw on genny. Marc
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

Welcome to the group!

We were getting advice to put on only two a/c units.  Soooo glad we had 3 installed instead.   Been very happy w/ that setup.  We have a 10 Kw Kubota from Dick Wright ( Wrico ) - excellent unit.

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:23 AM »

I realized another big variable. What are you used to? I have noticed that the older you are, the less cooling you need. 75-80 feels good for some. However, others are used to 65 or less. That is the way with us. When we are running the air, we want it to be around 65 up to 70.

We can do that, because when the air is running the genset is running. If we were running a couple roof airs off of our inverters and batteries, then we could do with less. At night we often need just one to keep things cool.

So what are you used to? Cooler, or warmer?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: