Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 08:35:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back from a 3 week trip  (Read 1286 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »

Got back Thursday from a 3 week trip. Pa to Tx into Az a few hours in Ca then Ut and home. Hit snow west of Denver on 70. Pulled both passes ( Vail and Love Land? ) at 45mph without pushing it. Towed a Wrangler and my MPG  averaged 8.68 for the trip. We had strong winds most of the trip and very few from behind.  Bus ran fine, just a few more bugs to work out.

My electric wipers run to fast, I had a delay from JC but it would not work. Does anyone have a source for a good wiper delay?

Thanks Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

Congrat's on a successful trip. Good to hear your equipment ran well. Got pix?...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »

My electric wipers run to fast, I had a delay from JC but it would not work. Does anyone have a source for a good wiper delay?
  Thanks Tom Y

Tom,
   You might check with International Bus & Parts in Apopka, FL  800-468-5287 (I think that is the number)  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »

Hey I'm just a little curious, how do you guys figure your MPG? I know this has been hashed over and over in the past but I'm lucky to get to get 6 mpg IF 6 which is usually a mid to high 5 and when I see 8 plus, it makes me think something's wrong with my, 1, set-up (tuning) or 2, my wonderful silverleaf vms 120 is wrong AGAIN!

I guess coach weight compared to coach weight could be a small factor but is it really THAT much of a difference?

Again, just curious!

I run a ddec 2 hooked to a good running 8v-92 turbo

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »

He has a modified MCI MC-5C, which is already a light, short, narrow bus for an MCI, shortened 5 feet so lighter still, and a Cummins L10 fourstroke and probably some ridiculous highway cruising gear.  I get about 6.5 in my more standard MC-5C (which is a sister Navajo Transit bus to Tom's).

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:54:16 AM »

I figure MPG by dividing miles driven by gallons used.  My mileage sometimes get off from generator usage.  (The cost and space for a second generator tank isn't worth it for me.)

I don't have a exterior fuel filler on my bus.  I have to open a side door and dump fuel directly into the tank.  I can see exactly the level of the fuel.  I always fill to the same level within probably a gallon or two.  This isn't like a car or pickup truck where different pumps will fill the tank to different levels before shutting off.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »

Great news Tom!  I'm glad you had a good trip.  Isn't it great to have that kind of power going up and over those high passes!  I love mine, that is for sure!  Keep that thing rolling and continue to enjoy all your hard work!
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:13 AM »

I just don't understand how everyone figures fuel mileage .It is simple  i get 6 going and 5 coming back.  That makes it 11 mpg.

It is easy see

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:52 AM »

Ace - You may be almost twice as heavy, 2 feet taller and have the aerodynamics of a brick and that does not include engine displacement difference - You're getting better than me though, but I think you have seperate tank for the genny - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »

Ace, I check mpg with each tank. I was playing with my Flux Capacitor, but not much ( more bugs to work out). Per tank high 9s was the best and 8 was the low, 5225 miles driven some gen use but not much. I run 63 mph and have a 3.38 rear, about 27,000 lbs. I am disapointed as .9 mpg for towing seems high.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:01:53 PM »

Tom,

Good for you on your successful engine conversion/replacement and recent mpg. I have slowed down with my 5C (6V92TA, 644MT trans) to 63-64 and am achieving high 7's close to 8 mpg. That is mostly on the east coast flatlands FL - NJ.

I might be blowing by your area next month, I need to travel to just west of Minneapolis mid June. I am planning a stop over near Pa/Oh line.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »

Gary, Shoot me an email if you are coming this way. Theres a good chance I may be gone out West again.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »

Niles, you really think I'm getting what some would call GOOD fuel mileage? My VMS 120 says from our most recent trip 5.6 -5.9 mpg. It has said as low as 4 mpg.
That's running an average of 68mph and pulling a 20 foot all aluminum stacker trailer without a car lift, lightly loaded with 1 golf cart, 1 Harley and some hand tools.

It's as high as the bus so I don't think wind on the nose of the trailer is/was much of a factor. In fact I almost forgot I was pulling it at times!

You say I'm getting better than you? That's hard to believe! Smiley

BTW...where have you been hiding? Lakeland misses you and your tab needs to be paid before they will let me back in the door! LOL

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »

Ace - I probably forgot to tell you that Pat sold the Fowler avenue store to an Oriental fellow a few years ago - so I DON'T even have a tab anymore (and I shouldn't have paid my last bill  Angry but I did) - Pat still owns Lakeland, and since I'm helping "Jackie Chan" with a building permit and another tenant of his with a Wet Zoning, I'm sure I can get you a freebie or two - If I'm in the area before I leave for the summer I'd love to take you and Susan out to the "B" - As far as mileage, How about 2+ mpg going over the passes in the Rockies this summer - Does that make you feel better about your 5.6 to 5.9 - Thought so  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: