Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 27, 2014, 09:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: body work on 4106 - Need help near Phoenix  (Read 2203 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2006, 07:29:13 AM »

well as good as our trip to seattle was there were some bad moments. coming home through L.A.we were hit pretty hard in the right side by a car entering the freeway.Luckly no one was hurt however it kinda wiped out all the lower bay door skin and tore the corner off my first baggage bay doorframe. The insurance company (theirs) doesn't know who to have do the estimate. I will try calling the big-truck body shops this week but would rather find someone with bus experince. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

Thanks        Tucson Cry

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:21:42 AM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »

I would make sure it is a bus company. MAK has a shop in the LA area, but I do not know if he still does repairs. Also, ABC Bus has a facility in the LA area. Hausmann is also there. You should not have any trouble finding a bus repair shop.
Richard

well as good as our trip to seattle was there were some bad moments. coming home through L.A.we were hit pretty hard in the right side by a car entering the freeway.Luckly no one was hurt however it kinda wiped out all the lower bay door skin and tore the corner off my first baggage bay doorframe. The insurance company (theirs) doesn't know who to have do the estimate. I will try calling the big-truck body shops this week but would rather find someone with bus experince. If anyone has any advice I'm all ears!

Thanks        Tucson Cry

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »

Tucson,

You may want to talk to Kevin Webb at http://gmbusguy.com/bodypanels.htm or Luke or Doug(tekebird),

to get an idea what those replacement parts will cost as compared to any estimates you get. 

Best of luck

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »

Thanks Guys...   I've been on the web today trying to find someone close (Phoenix) to do an est. I hear there are few boneafryed bus repair shops there. Dallas said there is a shop in New Mexico, Nova bus works, and MCI has a shop in L.A. Would rather not have to take the time off work to take it that far if I can keep from it. I'll keep looking, let you know what I learn

Tucson

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 06:23:23 AM »

Hi Tucson - I modified the topic of your post slightly.

Also - I was thinking about this last night-  I would call Rich @ International Bus Parts.  He sells the siding, and may have a pretty good idea of who may do this kind of repair closer to Phoenix.

IBP's contact info page : http://www.1800intlbus.com/htdocs/contact/index.htm

Hope this helps, Phil
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:27:20 AM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
WVObus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:22:38 AM »

Call Dick Wolfert at 727-856-6862, e dimantals GMC 's for parts and is more than fair on prices.  Even shippin from Florida woul still save you money.

John F.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 04:42:15 PM »

Thanks Guys...   I've been on the web today trying to find someone close (Phoenix) to do an est. I hear there are few boneafryed bus repair shops there. Dallas said there is a shop in New Mexico, Nova bus works, and MCI has a shop in L.A. Would rather not have to take the time off work to take it that far if I can keep from it. I'll keep looking, let you know what I learn
Tucson

Hey Tucson,

If you have to take the day off and drive it to LA, to get estimates charge the insurance company for it! Call them and tell them since it was their insureds fault, and it is going to take $ out of your pocket to take the day off, put fuel in the bus, wear and tear on tires and all other componets of the bus. That you will be billing them for all this ! Then if you take it all the way to LA to get estimates and decide to have it repaired there make them get you a rental car to drive home (and until the bus is done!) and back to LA that way you'll only have to make the trip once ! Insurance companies love charging high premiums, but will try anything to get out of paying what they owe! Tell them if they don't wish to pay these expenses, you'll have your lawyer contact them ! Don't let 'em BS you! They are responsible for making sure you bus is fixed to your satisfaction at the repair shop of your choice, and any costs incured in doing so!

Twice when I was trucking my Truck was damaged while I was in CA, both times I made the insurance companies pay my expenses to bring the truck home empty to put it in the shop for repairs! When my truck was backed into 3 times by the same doped up IDIOT in Bakersfields Flying J lot, they had to pay hotel bills as the hood was destroyed and the headlights had fallen out and there wasn't enough to temperarily fasten them back to ! They had an adjuster come out to the Flying J who tried to tell me they would either take it the Freightliner dealer in Bakersfield, or only pay the costs of repairs only if I took it elsewhere ! Well I told him if it went to the local dealership for repairs I expected downtime $, hotel & meal $, and rental transportation, OR a rental truck so I could continue to make my living ! They argued with me saying that wasn't gonna happen, well as soon a I told him I'd call my lawyer back home in the morning his attitude changed ! He called the dealership and found out they're bodyshop was backed up for 3 weeks to a month, and they couldn't even look at it to order what parts they'd need for that long and then they'd have to wait on parts and it'd probably be 2 months or more before my truck would be done there ! I called my bodyshop guy back home at home (time differance) and he told me he'd order the complete hood assembly unit (complete with grill, headlight bucket assemblies, and etc.) in the morning if I wished, and that if they weren't sitting there waiting by the time I made it home they'd be there right after I got home ! He also said that once I got home if anything else was needed they'd order it overnighted and that they could have the hood painted and assembled while waiting for any other parts and that he did't see why the truck should be down for more than 3 weeks maximum ! Well they decided it was cheaper (and would keep me happier) to let me take it back home at their expense than to pay for 2 months hotel, meals, car rental, and down time to have it fixed locally! So don't let'm BS you into anything ! They'll try but at the same time if you stand your ground and threaten them with a lawyer, they'll do what's right! BK  Grin

Sorry so long just wanted to make the point! Don't let them make you accept their way unless it's acceptable to you!   

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 07:51:56 AM »

Thanks for all the good input guys, I will be talking with all of the folks you guys have pointed me to.

B.K. I talked with the GMbusguy earlier this week, he really couldn't help much, as far as standing my ground I plan to. If they give me any static I plan to let them know what it will cost to have it towed to New Mexico for an est. and they can rent me a suitable replacement for the business convention I will be attending next month.

Tucson

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 10:28:38 AM »

That's the way to go! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Big Tom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 04:36:49 PM »

If you want a shop in Phoenix, try Desert West Coach, 1243 S. Seventh St, Phoenix 85034.  Phone 602-340-8287 or 800-491-8834.  Not sure if they do body work, but they would sure know who does if they can't do it.  Their business is buses, service a lot of entertainer buses.
belfert

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 06:02:33 PM »

Why tow the bus to New Mexico?  Why not have them pay you or a professional driver to drive it there?

I wouldn't ever want my bus towed if it was still driveable or easily fixed on the side of the road.  I've heard enough horror stories of bad tows to make not want one.  You may not want anybody else driving the bus for fear of damage, but the tow could just as easily damage it.

Brian Elfert
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »

Hey Tucson - don't forget to let us know how it goes on Monday!!   Grin 

Looks like the guys have some good ideas for you

Kind Regards, Phil

tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2006, 09:04:59 PM »

Sorry Cliff, I thought B.K. had pointed me to GMbusguy. I had already talked to him before I started this thread but he didn't know where to look for body work. Ive been trying in vain to get ahold of Desert West in Phoenix but all I get is there anwsering service. I'll be up there tomorrow and plan to stop by and see them in person. So thanks for that idea Tom I was already on there trail but was just thinking today" how can i get their address" so now I have it..........

Let you know what I learn                           Tucson

plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »

Greetings Tucson,

How is the repair going?  Any luck with the leads from the BBS on panel repairs near Phoenix? 

Kind Regards, Phil

Big Tom

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 12:04:11 PM »

Another place you might get some leads is by calling Massey's Diesel Service in Phoenix.  Don't think they actually do body work, but they service truck fleets and diesel RVs and do heavy mechanical repairs.  They are at 1417 S 59th Ave., a little over a mile South of I-10.  Call Tom Kszepka at 602-233-1700.  He is Service Advisor for the RV end and knows the whole diesel scene in Phoenix pretty well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: