Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 06:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1979 crown bus  (Read 5828 times)
Outlaw

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

this is in the seattle graigslist but i don't know how to get it here. can someone find it and post it here. it's a 1979 crown conv. needs the plumbing finnished. has a diesel and 5 speed. want's $6,000.00. not a bad lookin bus. i like it , even the color.lol. so does anyone know about these. what engine and tranny? are parts easy to find? any problems? thanks

Outlaw
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:05:51 PM by Outlaw » Logged

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 08:03:42 PM »

How's this:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/rvs/1737755311.html

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Outlaw

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »

thanks Bob, thats great. i see a few have looked, does anyone know about these busses? thanks

Outlaw  Smiley

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »

There are some on here that know about Crowns. Change the name of the thread to include the word Crown.

Also, I think there may be a Crown or Skoolie group on Yahoo Groups. Someone there would know.

That's not a bad looking bus. Fairly simple. Crown's are supposed to be well built, but I know nothing about them.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Outlaw

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »

thanks gumpy,will try that.

Outlaw

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »

Crowns are a very solid well built bus.
Check out this group.  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/crowncoachjunkies/
There is a good chance someone in the group will know that bus.

Kevin
Sweeney 153

Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »

It sounds like the seller may not know too much about it.   Most Crowns of that vintage have underfloor Cummins or Detroit 6-71, and all Crowns are built with standard class-8 truck parts available from truck yards or Napa.   They have aluminum body panels (so no rust there), and they are immensely strong and tough vehicles.   Some folk report getting 12 MPG with their Crowns, but about 10 MPG is more typical for the twinkie-shaped Crowns.   Best of all, they drive well because of their low CoG and mid-mounted engines.

Unless this bus is in first-rate mechanical condition and with all new tires, I think $6,000 is optimistic.   Remember, most incomplete conversions don't add to a bus's value!   Offer him $3,000 cash, and be prepared to go up to $4,000 if he squeals.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Most likely it has the pancake DD671T engine and a Fuller T905M 5 speed tranny....but don't assume...find out.  Road gearing could be between 72 mph and a low 58 mph....again find out.

It does have a trunk, which means the frame stops just behind the rear wheels.  To compensate, it does have a crush impact zone below the trunk.  I don't recognize the front right wheel type.

These busses were beefed up (even more!) around 1976 and weigh about 24000 lbs as a stripped shell.  GVWR is around 32000 lbs, with a 12K front and a nominal 20K rear.  Very big air brakes.

It COULD have the older Cummins 743 (Crown had a lot of leftover mills they just used anyway) or it could have maybe a Big Cam 2 Cummins, which would be perfect.  Find out which.

If it had a working Jake, they would have said soosss.  Probably it doesn't.  The flat windshields are GREAT!....cheap to change out.  As far as the interior, I haven't a clue.  To each their own.

Yep...like already said, unless it is in very good mechanical condition, the price may be too high.  Right now Crowns are going for just over scrap price.  Sad but true.  Yeah, aluminimuminummm body.

You will need to hire an expert heavy truck mechanic and just pay him for the 2 hour 200 item inspection.  The TRW steering box (hydralic assist) alone is around $2500 bucks.  You need more info.  HB of CJ (old coot)

sweeney153

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »

Just as a reference I have a1979 10 wheel highway Crown that I am trying to sell. I put it on eBay with a starting bid of $4,000.00 and didn't get a bid. That with a 671 turbo Allison automatic jakes 10 good tires etc. I started at a4k because i had it weighed at the junkie and he said she would give me $3900 13cents a pound for mixed alum and iron.

Just info to use in bargaining.

Warwick NY
1964 4106-2703 8V71 Spicer 4 speed
Outlaw

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »

thanks all, good info. i talked to the owner for a little bit. it has a 6-71 pancake, guess thats a mid engine. 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end. was a school bus. thats all i know for now.

my house maybe sold next wed. so i will be going after this. anybody know a good engine man around the Bremerton or Seattle area that can inspect this bus?

so you know about as much as i do. from seeing the pic's is it worth it? if it's in decent shape. yep, i will start at $3000.00 and go to $4000.00 if need be.

again, thanks for your answers. you all always come thru.

Outlaw

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »

Far as I remember  (allways suspect) Crown hardly ever used a 2 speed rear end on their later model busses.  If the Detroit does NOT have a turbo or working Jake, then the value of the coach is much reduced.

Some school districts really babyied their Crowns with loving care...others just ran the living heck out of them with hardly no maintainence whatsoossever.  If possible, ask if the owner has any SPECIFIC history on the bus.

Things like complete maintenance records (like airplanes) and a contact number of the last school bus driver who drove it.  It does matter.  My 1974 I owned had only 1500 miles on a 6 month old Cal State school bus inspection.

You might find a jewell that was practically overhauled before being placed out of service then sold as surplus.  Happened to me.  Another area to check out is the wheel and tire type.  You want 22.5 Bud wheels and newer tires.

Sometimes sellers will put on old split rims and tube tires just to get rid of them and keep the newer stuff for future projects. I would need a complete inspection BEFORE I would offer the owner $anything$.  Your call.  HB of CJ (old coot) (VIN 37317, 1974 Crown 10 wheeler Cummins 10 speed 85 mph)

Outlaw

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:01:57 PM »

thanks old coot.lol. 85 mph. wow, that's hauling. anything wrong with a 2 speed rear? do they get good miliage and better speed?

many yrs ago, yep, i am an old coot myself.lol. i used to drive a cabover gmc with two 327 chevs about 300 hp each with a 2 speed, 3 speed browning and 5 speed main. pulled a 40' flatbed with about 40,000 lb load. went real good but not alot of tork. anyways, i can't remember if it was great or not. my mine fails me sometimes, well maybe alot.lol. thanks for your return mess.

Outlaw

John and Colleen
Bothell, WA
CrownCoach79

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »

this is in the seattle graigslist but i don't know how to get it here. can someone find it and post it here. it's a 1979 crown conv. needs the plumbing finnished. has a diesel and 5 speed. want's $6,000.00. not a bad lookin bus. i like it , even the color.lol. so does anyone know about these. what engine and tranny? are parts easy to find? any problems? thanks

Outlaw

Well , I bought this bus. What do you think?  Grin
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:31:17 PM »

Sweeeeeeeeeet!
 Grin
Is everything else in the thread true? Like a 6-71t, 5-speed stick, and a 2-speed rear end? Grin
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »

Is everything else in the thread true? Like a 6-71t, 5-speed stick, and a 2-speed rear end?

Note that this thread is actually from 2010!

Dunno if CC79's post/pic is of the same coach, or if CC79 is Outlaw with a new handle. . .

More info would be useful.

Twinkie Crowns are tanks!  Great toy to play with!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »

Is it a 5-speed with a 2-speed axle (unusual for a Crown), or is it a Fuller Roadranger 10-speed which is a 5-speed box with high and low ranges?

If you join the Crown Coach Junkies forum on Yahoo (I'm a member there) there's probably someone who knows the history of your bus.   Look inside the right front wheel well for a 4-digit build number, or look on the frame rails for a 5-digit serial number, and this will help identify it.

It looks like you got a good 'un.   Have fun with it!   My Crown's one of the later squarer-ended 40-foot pushers, but they're all good!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
CrownCoach79

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »

Yes, It is the one previously mentioned in the post in 2010. I live in Bremerton WA and have eyed it from a distance for a couple of years. Finally I stopped by and called the guy and made an appointment to see it. It does have  a Detroit 6-71 that runs great with a Fuller five speed. The guy I bought it from, installed the 2 speed rear end. The conversion is very rough and bare bones but he did install a shower stall and stove and it has uninstalled holding tanks and a lot of potential. I did get it for substantially less than the original asking price.
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

Good because he was way high on his ask.  I live in Bremerton and that's the bus that got me hooked.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »

Nice looking bus!  While the curved two piece windshields look good, I'm glad to see you got the flat pane 4 piece windshield-you can have any glass place cut new glass when it is flat.

Two spd rear end is nice-but try not to use it too much for splitting.  Best way is to have it in low range for city driving and then just pull it up for highway.  Your bus is light enough where you probably don't need to spilt the gears anyway.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: