Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:07:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1979 crown bus  (Read 5759 times)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »

Is it a 5-speed with a 2-speed axle (unusual for a Crown), or is it a Fuller Roadranger 10-speed which is a 5-speed box with high and low ranges?

If you join the Crown Coach Junkies forum on Yahoo (I'm a member there) there's probably someone who knows the history of your bus.   Look inside the right front wheel well for a 4-digit build number, or look on the frame rails for a 5-digit serial number, and this will help identify it.

It looks like you got a good 'un.   Have fun with it!   My Crown's one of the later squarer-ended 40-foot pushers, but they're all good!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
CrownCoach79

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:29 PM »

Yes, It is the one previously mentioned in the post in 2010. I live in Bremerton WA and have eyed it from a distance for a couple of years. Finally I stopped by and called the guy and made an appointment to see it. It does have  a Detroit 6-71 that runs great with a Fuller five speed. The guy I bought it from, installed the 2 speed rear end. The conversion is very rough and bare bones but he did install a shower stall and stove and it has uninstalled holding tanks and a lot of potential. I did get it for substantially less than the original asking price.
Uglydog56

I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

Good because he was way high on his ask.  I live in Bremerton and that's the bus that got me hooked.

Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »

Nice looking bus!  While the curved two piece windshields look good, I'm glad to see you got the flat pane 4 piece windshield-you can have any glass place cut new glass when it is flat.

Two spd rear end is nice-but try not to use it too much for splitting.  Best way is to have it in low range for city driving and then just pull it up for highway.  Your bus is light enough where you probably don't need to spilt the gears anyway.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: