Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 06:28:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Balancing golf balls...  (Read 5006 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »

Well, I thought I better post this.

I've been extolling the virtues of using golf balls in tires for dynamic balancing. I've seen it done. My brother ran them in his Kenworth front tires and swore by them. We pulled them out after 50K miles and inspected the casings. There was no damage. The balls were somewhat misshappen due to the heat causing the plastic casing to warp, but he put them back in and continued running them until he sold the truck.

I have Centrimatics on my rear axle, but they don't make one that fits the rims I'm using on my steer axle. I have been intending to put golf balls in for some time, so, before our trip began a few weeks ago, I finally took the time to put 6 golf balls in each of my front tires. I had never balanced them since new, and they had ridden great for 30K miles, but hey, I figured they couldn't possibly be completely balanced, and it might help extend the life of the tires. When I pulled them, I found that one tire was already slightly cupped, so I was even happier I had decided to install the "dynamic golf balls" before the trip.

So I put them in and put the tires back on the bus, and we packed for the trip. We closed up the house, said goodbye to the cats and neighbors, and started out in the afternoon on our journey.  3 miles down the road, I got on the main highway and hit 50 mph, and thought the bus was going to shake apart!  The steering wheel was literally jumping in my hands. I played with the speed for about a mile, but it was apparent this was not going to fly for 1100 miles!

We turned around and came home and I spent the next hour or two removing the golf balls from my front tires, and we continued on our trip, sans dynamic balancing in the front tires. I had them balanced at a shop along the way, and was surprised that the tire that had started cupping required very little weight, but the one that was showing no signs of wear took several ounces. I'm thinking I may need to have them redone locally, and maybe spun while on the bus.

I may experiment with the golf balls again. Maybe try 3 instead of 6. Maybe try some BBs or something smaller than golf balls. I don't quite get it, but I sure didn't have the same results my brother did.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 11:31:02 AM »

Hi

This stuff worked real well in all my previous M/Hs

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:33:48 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I'm very interested in hearing your results.  I have been planning on adding golf balls at my next tire change, you may have saved me.

Keep us posted.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:25:25 PM »

Craig,

Like Jim, I was also planning on trying this.

I am really curious why it works for some and not others?

My coach tires seem to ride pretty good, but I am thinking about on vehicle balancing also, to smooth it out as much as possible.

What is the going rate for that service?

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
brojcol
Jimmy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:50:41 PM »

I used the same kind of stuff as the counteractbalance described above.  It was called Equal, but worked the same way.  The stuff worked great, but I do recommend putting it in with the tire off the rim, unless you want to spend three hours at the tire shop while they try to blow it in after the fact, only to get disgusted with the lines clogging and take the wheel off anyway...

Mechanic just threw a bag into the tires and re-mounted them.

My 2 cents worth.

"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »

Being that I've been an avid golfer for most of 25 years, and believe me I've dispensed more than enough anger at both golf balls AND clubs...but for the life of me I couldn't possibly be so angry with a golf ball that I would want to subject it 450-500 RPM's for thousands of miles....with the exception of one.....  Tongue

Now, there are a few folks I've played with, through the years who have never learned to count past 6 (although they seemed to be able to make enough money to own large homes and Lincoln or Cadillac cars) and have no compunctions about taking MY money home with THEM at the end of a game and I've heard of folks like them being strapped to wagon wheels on the prarie schooners that settled the western United States. Huh

But if I were to nominate a golf ball to serve an eternity in Hell on Wheels, knowing full well that the golfers among us are going to jump on me like white on rice, it would be Pinnacle.  Wink

If there was ever an invention of the Devil himself for the amateur golfer, it would be a Pinnacle golf ball. Those I could gladly sentence to rolling around in someone's tires for the next million miles. Grin

Awaiting the flack......

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:57:24 PM »

The next time aroud try putting 8 golf balls in the tires,it takes 12 to 14 ounces for these big tires of ours.Your short about 3.0 ounces.Starting with used tires is a gamble due to the wear issue already.Their have been those that have  put golf balls in their used tires,and have been quite happy with them,if fact they have trued the tire from the cupping signs,others have been not so lucky.The next time you put tires on the ole girl,install the golf balls then. HTH...Frank
Denny

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 03:09:18 PM »

I recently bought all new Michelin XZE heavy rated tries for my 04.  They cost about $450 each.  I paid $20 each to have all six of them spin ballenced.  It seems like money well spent for tires that are that expensive. I did the same with my last set and also rotated them every 20,000 k. and got over 80,000 miles on that set.  Maby it is just me but it seems like false economy  experimenting with golf balls
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 03:52:45 PM »

What I've learned from 1.3 million miles of truck driving.  First-use the best drums you can-like Centrifuse, Steelite, etc since they dynamically balance them.  Then like others, have ALL tires spun balanced before mounting on the bus.  I used Centrimatics on the front, and they worked well.  Tried on the back, didn't seem to make any difference.  But whatever you do, spin balance the new tires before mounting.  The best it to have them spun balanced on the bus, but there aren't too many that still do that.  Forget the powder, it can clump and is just not that effective.  Golf balls-my tire man says NO-because of possible interior damage to the tire-which they have seen happen.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »

Danny,golf balls in the tires are not something new,been around for decades.When a person buys tires and has them balance,don't believe for a moment that the balance is the first and last,because its not,and if you don't have balance hubs,then your whole assembly is not balance to begin with.My 4106 as well as my 4501 didn't come with balance hubs,even tho they are available.Pot holes,curbs and such will lose you a weight or too,not to mention the normal wear and tear of a tire will constitute the need for a rebalance.All tires should be balanced,not just the fronts,even tho you may not feel anything,it doesn't mean that the tire is balance,and will wear for not doing so.Dyna beads,packs,golf balls and other balancing media all do the same,and that is to disperse and balance the wheel,tire and hub assembly.If available in your aera,put nitrogen in your tires,a whole lot less water in nitrogen,maintains desired pressure a lot longer.If a person should use the packs,use Nitrogen,the water in air clumps the balancing medium.Best part about golf balls( used ) is that for the most part they are free for the asking at a golf course,hard to beat free.To each their own tho.....Frank.
phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »

I, too, just bought brand new Michelin XZE tires. I fully intended to install golf balls when I had them mounted. Well, one of my customers saw the tires in the shop and left me a tire bar to use for a day. I didn't really think I could mount them, but I did.I thought I had some golf balls laying around but could not find them so I mounted the tires with nothing. Now I am scared to drive on the new tires because they are not balanced. I don't want to cup my new babies. I also intend to take a serious look at the front end before these beauties go on the coach.

Tomorrow I have about a 120 mile drive to do in the Scenicruiser. I will be driving on my same old crappy tires I always do while my brand new Michelin XZE's sit in the shop,(the wife wouldn't let them stay in the house) and look pretty. Boy am I gonna look stupid if I have tire trouble.

I would like to hear more about balanced drums and on vehicle balancing if anybody would care to expand on these subjects.
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:46:15 PM »

Hi all,

ok so I am waayy over my head in this post. What would I have for hubs on a 1980 MC9? I have one front tire cupping the other is good. I have no balance issues at any speed. I am going to buy a set of steer tires this fall so I will get them spin balanced, but how do I find a shop that will spin them on the bus?

If you have to add fancy hubs after the fact, what are the costs?

Sorry for the ignorance, but enquiring minds want to know.

Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »

Phil- PUT THE NEW TIRES ON!!! You're not going to cup out the tires in 100, 200 or even 1,000 miles.  It is much better than risking driving on the old tires!  Good Luck, TomC

Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »

How does this type of balancing work?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 05:05:07 AM »

Just about any large truck garage will have the means to balance the wheel assembly. On the spin balancing, call around to the local shops and ask. My small town that I live in has 2 places that can spin balance. It would also be worth a small trip to another city to have this done. I have asked our tire man about balancing and he says that the golf balls work, but you are better off with the beads as they run to the area they are needed easier.

Dale
Mrbill4108

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 07:29:45 AM »

I'm using Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Put them in my front tires about 6 months ago when I installed new front tires and 1000 miles later still working good. 
Was going to put the powder stuff in but found this product and it sounded a little better then the powder.

Mrbill4108

79 GMC 4108A
S/N 228
Florida Space Coast
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 12:44:50 PM »

I am curious as to how you can tell it is still working good, or even working for that matter, since you installed it in new tires?
Richard

I'm using Dyna Beads from Innovative Balancing.

http://http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Put them in my front tires about 6 months ago when I installed new front tires and 1000 miles later still working good.  Was going to put the powder stuff in but found this product and it sounded a little better then the powder.

Mrbill4108

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006, 07:42:28 AM »

Well Richard, I can tell you how you can tell when it's NOT working  Cheesy  I could not believe how bad it shook the bus when they didn't work!

Evidently my 6 balls had some planetary type attraction force which kept them all clumped together
for some reason, which threw it completely out of balance. It also seemed like the two tires got
180 degrees out of sync so the two clumps really were acting in the worst possible way.

I'm suspicious that because the 2 tires were close to being balanced when I put them in that there
was not enough shake to dispurse the 6 balls evenly. I really don't think 8 will be better, but I think small beads like the dyna beads link might work well. I may try that.

Before I can experiment further with golf balls, I need to get a better tire iron for these big tubeless tires... and another can of ether  Wink

My other concern is that one of my drums might be out of balance. When I had them turned, there was a hard spot in one (don't recall which one) and we had to turn it a second time. I may end up replacing the drums.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 08:48:51 AM »

Sorry Gumpy, I should have been more specific. I was actually asking Mrbill4108 the question since he indicated he put them in new tires and they are still working great. If they were put in new tires, then how would you know that they were doing anything? I am really trying to understand how something like this works. It kinda sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.
Richard

Well Richard, I can tell you how you can tell when it's NOT working  Cheesy  I could not believe how bad it shook the bus when they didn't work!

Evidently my 6 balls had some planetary type attraction force which kept them all clumped together
for some reason, which threw it completely out of balance. It also seemed like the two tires got
180 degrees out of sync so the two clumps really were acting in the worst possible way.

I'm suspicious that because the 2 tires were close to being balanced when I put them in that there
was not enough shake to dispurse the 6 balls evenly. I really don't think 8 will be better, but I think small beads like the dyna beads link might work well. I may try that.

Before I can experiment further with golf balls, I need to get a better tire iron for these big tubeless tires... and another can of ether  Wink

My other concern is that one of my drums might be out of balance. When I had them turned, there was a hard spot in one (don't recall which one) and we had to turn it a second time. I may end up replacing the drums.

craig

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 09:32:21 AM »

Craig- would highly recommend you not use Ether to bead the tires since the chemicals and fumes stay in the tire accelerating the deteriation process-not to mention the danger.  If you're going to do your own tires, get a tire beader- an air tank with an air knozzle that creates a pressure differential that makes the tire bead up.  It's about $350.00 from Northern tool and worth the money.  Good Luck, TomC

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

Sorry Gumpy, I should have been more specific. I was actually asking Mrbill4108 the question since he indicated he put them in new tires and they are still working great. If they were put in new tires, then how would you know that they were doing anything? I am really trying to understand how something like this works. It kinda sounds like smoke and mirrors to me.
Richard

Richard,

Dynamic balancing is not smoke and mirrors, but I can't quote the physics behind it. Basically, though, the free bodies will seek a state that is equal and opposite the source of the imbalance. Same principal used by Centrimatic rings and others. The advantage of dynamic balancing is that it will change as your tire wears, or as you brake drums wear (which off-vehicle spin balancing cannot correct).

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 06:10:23 PM »

OK thanks Craig. I guess I believe it works, I just can not understand it. LOL
Richard

Richard

Richard,

Dynamic balancing is not smoke and mirrors, but I can't quote the physics behind it. Basically, though, the free bodies will seek a state that is equal and opposite the source of the imbalance. Same principal used by Centrimatic rings and others. The advantage of dynamic balancing is that it will change as your tire wears, or as you brake drums wear (which off-vehicle spin balancing cannot correct).

craig

pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

Since I was partly the cause of some of the discussion on this thread, I'll offer one more reason that I wanted to use the golf balls.

I've balanced many tires over the years and there was always a frustrating aspect to it. When tires are spin balanced, you can balance them until they are running nice and smoothly. If you change the speed that you spin them by very much, they are no longer balanced. They have to be balanced for the speed that they are spinning.

This is true of car tires, which is where I first encountered this problem, and it is true for heavy duty tires, as well. Aparently, the tire changes shape slightly, depending on how fast it rotates.

In any event, I figured that something that would adjust to the speed that I was running would do a better job for me. As it is, when I speed up quickly to 65 or 70, I get some shaking. Within 10 seconds or so, it begins to diminish until it is virtually gone. If I keep running the same speed, it stays gone.

We own a spin balancer for truck tires. It's about 4 hp or so. It does a good job, but it can't complete with weights that move to where they are needed. Whether it's golf balls or some other product, I doubt that I will ever go back to fixed weights.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
JerryH

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 05:51:25 AM »

Had these installed on fronts.  Eventually on the rears I hope.
http://www.balancemasters.com/themostarticle.html

They do make a difference.

Jerry H.
belfert

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 09:38:14 AM »

Had these installed on fronts.  Eventually on the rears I hope.
http://http://www.balancemasters.com/themostarticle.html

They do make a difference.

I'm shocked the state of California and the EPA would still allow mercury to be used for something like this.  What the heck happens if the tube holding the mercury were to break?  Nobody would ever want to work on that tire again.  Plus, you would have a mini hazmat disaster on your hands.

It looks like a great product, but the use of mercury is questionable.

Brian Elfert
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 01:40:40 PM »

Tom Caffery,

Man, that's brilliant. I would have never guessed that speed of the balancer plays a role, so I tried it today at work. The balance machine we have can be "tricked" to balance at different speeds and sure enough the tire balance isn't the same at different speeds. Now you have me questioning the balance of every tire I have. LOL.

Dale
n4rsn

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 02:54:21 PM »

Has anyone tried a copple of hands full of marbels??
I don't see why they wouldn't work.
Just a thought.
Steve
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »

R: Marbles - What if they break, running into each other, then you have shards of glass running around the inside of your tires at 500 RPM.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 04:59:54 PM »

Craig - try taking the golf balls out of the package next time - LOL   (sorry - I couldn't help myself)

On a serious note - have you tried having the tires trued? - I've found that can cause/exagerate an out of balance situation - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »

From my truck driving-this is what I have used and what works.  The Centrimatics with ball bearings in ATF in a metal ring that mounts between the drum and wheel works best. Balancemasters with mercury in a metal ring that mounts between the drum and wheel doesn't have enough weight to do anything-don't waste your money.  Equal-packets of powder that goes inside the tire works somewhat until the powder gets clumpy from moisture-course if you use Nitrogen, that will work.  Golf balls-according to my tire man-a definite no-no since they can do interior tire and wheel damage (that's enough for me!).  Any of these additional dynamic balancing devices should only be used with a statically balanced tire and wheel.  They aren't designed to offset an already out of balanced tire.  Good luck, TomC

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 05:52:33 AM »

From my truck driving-this is what I have used and what works.  The Centrimatics with ball bearings in ATF in a metal ring that mounts between the drum and wheel works best. Balancemasters with mercury in a metal ring that mounts between the drum and wheel doesn't have enough weight to do anything-don't waste your money.  Equal-packets of powder that goes inside the tire works somewhat until the powder gets clumpy from moisture-course if you use Nitrogen, that will work.  Golf balls-according to my tire man-a definite no-no since they can do interior tire and wheel damage (that's enough for me!).  Any of these additional dynamic balancing devices should only be used with a statically balanced tire and wheel.  They aren't designed to offset an already out of balanced tire.  Good luck, TomC

And not the discount you or your tire man, but I've never found one shred of evidence, nor have I been able to convince myself, that a golf ball in a tire can possibly cause any interior tire or wheel damage. I have personally inspected tire casings which had run 50,000 miles with 6 golf balls inside them. The only indication they were in there were tiny pock marks on the rim where the balls had bounced at low speed and left a smudge in the grime.

I run centrimatics on my rear axle. They don't make a set to fit my steer axle rims (which I found out after ruining a set they originally sent me).

I find it curious that people will scoff at golf balls and repeat how they've heard from someone else that they can do damage to the tire, but think nothing of putting a powder in there which could clump up and could potentially abrade the casing as it slides round and round at low speed and vibrates at high speed.  What's that stuff made of anyway? Glass beads? Sand?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

phil4501

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 07:44:35 AM »

It seems to me that golf balls or other balancing media would have to be the correct amount of weight, if the whell tire combo needed 6 oz and you put 8 oz of media in the tire it would not work right . Is this correct?
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »

It seems to me that golf balls or other balancing media would have to be the correct amount of weight, if the whell tire combo needed 6 oz and you put 8 oz of media in the tire it would not work right . Is this correct?

Politicly ? Or Unpoliticly ?  LOL ?

I've been avoiding this post like the plague, but I now feel I should at least share my fisrt hand experinces  ! Back when I was trucking I had a Frieghtliner that drove & rode like a dream ! But after 35-50,000 miles both front tires would start cupping on the inside, well I'd get it aligned, have new steers put on (moving the "old ones" to the trailer) have them balanced ! And again she'd ride & Drive like a dream ! (I was a faithful customer at TREADCO in Tampa, FL with an account and when I needed tires I'd drop the truck off an tell 'em to do what ever it was I needed done!) Well after having been thru this 3 times in six months & 100,000 miles the manager came out and talked to me one day while dropping the truck off and said he wanted to make me an offer I couldn't refuse !  Hey I'm dumb not stupid ! So I listened to his offer, they would take all 18 tires off my truck and put on 18 all new experimental Bridgestone directional tires, balanced, and with the (new at the time mercury filled balancers all the way around!) free! If I'd bring the truck by after every trip from FL to CA and back to FL so they could monitor the tire wear, and I could give them feedback on the ride and handling characteristics of these "new" tires & balancers ! I agreed (uh again I might be dumb but not stupid ! Anyone ever price a new set of 18 tires for a big rig ?) and they hooked me up with what at the time were "experimental directional Bridgestones"  and those worthless piece of crap balancers ! After the first round I returned and told him I hoped he had my old tires still around, wouldn't ya know it they were sold before I'd left with the new ones ! When he asked why I wanted my old ones back I told hime I'd driven on logging rds and had a better ride ! He couldn't believe it, I told him that the front end vibrated, the drives shimmied, and the tralier literally shook ! Again he still couldn't believe it ! He had 3 others trying out those same tires and they loved them ! Well I told him let's go for a ride and I let him drive, he made a comment about a shake before we hit 50 mph, I told him that was the trailer then came the shimmy, and once he set the cruise at 70 came the vibration (only vibrated at steady speed, if speeding up or slowing down it didn't vibrate at all! The shimmy was the opposite it only did it on acceleration or deceleration *down shifting, jakes on, etc* and the trailer shook all the time !) Well he was truely baffled as he had 3 others trying the same tires in different scenario's (I was the only one truely going coast to coast !)and they loved them ! Well the main difference was that when he put the others on he hadn't aquired the balancers yet so he hadn't installed them on the other 3 ! So we went back to his shop, where I left my truck again and they removed the balancers ! When I left FL the ride was smooth as silk and I was happy as could be, but after about a month the tires started cupping (but still riding smooth). He put a new set on the front,balanaced 'em, & checked the alignment, away I went they rode great, they handled good and again after 25-30,000 miles they started cupping again. He was baffled as were his contacts at Bridgestone, who asked me to bring it by a shop in CA where they did a 5 axle alignment on the truck (and were surprised at how little it was out of alignment!), they checked the tread , air pressure, rebalanced all 18 wheels, cut small slivers of tread of for analist to be sure the composition was right, and I don't remember what else, but the fact of it was at 30,000 miles or so the steer tires on that truck would cup ! Well I was home here in TN for a family reunion, and my uncle who owned 9 buses (it's his fault!!! I'm a busnut !) and I were talking and got on this subject, and he told me to put 4-6 golfballs in each steer tire ! I laffed my A** off at him and asked him how much he'd had to drink and said no seriously I've got some buses that no matter what they either go thru tires like mad or have a vibration and we've tried everything, but nothing except putting golf balls in the tires has helped !  I still didn't believe him, but he said he'd heard it from an old timer who swore by it and it'd worked for him and he was so convinced he said come on I'll have my mechanic put 'em in for ya while yer here today! So we took the tractor down to his mechanics house where he jacked up the front end broke the tire loose from the rims (still on the truck)and popped 6 balls in each tire! Well I got back on schedule running FL-CA-FL and never said a word about the golf balls(I was too embarassed, and didn't believe they'd make a difference!) Wow Mike was estatic when I hit 70,000 miles and no cupping (I was too, but kept my mouth shut!) ! Well when it came time to rotate those tires to the trailer and they broke'm down and found the golf balls I had to explain, Mike couldn't believe it but the proof was there and we both saw it there were 6 badly disformed golf balls in each tire but no cupping ! Long after I got rid of that truck I learned on another what the cupping problem was all along ! I had another one that was eating up the inside edge of the tires, and had it in the dealer 8 times in 10 months for alignment problems (different dealers 4 times) when my girlfriend and I weent to pick it up one saturday the service manager said hey look we're wasting our time constantly aligning this thing, and it won't be covered under warranty next time! Whoooa hold on Jack ! Boy Debbie come unglued on him ( she was a paralegal and was working on getting her degree !) Well he backed off, and we started talking again and he called the alignment guy up to see what his ideas were, and we were all talking and tossing ideas back and forth, when he say's do you pull the same trailer all the time ? (after telllnig us he'd test drove it and it still had the same shimmy around 50-55 mph it'd always had) Boy o boy Deb lost it again started cuss'n him like a dog and asked do I look like a frigg'n blonde to you or what ? Puzzled he said no, but why ? She said you just told me it still shimmys, but then you ask about the trailer which is at home, only a moron or a blonde would be dumb enough to believ the trailer could be causing it if you just drove it and it's still shimming and the trailer is 50 miles away form it! (good point wish I'd caught it! ) Anyway they had me take it to a frame & alignment specialist shop, which I did!  Upon picking it up the manager was real nice and polite talking to us and asking us if we'd mind taking him for a test ride so he personally could be with us to verify we were happy, sure no problem. Took it got on the interstate drove better than new (since it'd had this problem since new!) He asked where our trailer was and if we could go get it just to be sure! Hooked up and took him back to the shop handled great I was like a new father and Deb was all smiles too ! So when we got him back to the shop Deb started asking him questions like what had they done that the dealers had overlooked 8 times, and why was he so concerned about making sure we BOTH we satisfied and all. Well they told us that 9 out of 10 new trucks have the wrong Chaimber not sure on spelling) from the factory but they set them as close as they can which falls into the truck manufactures specs, but not the manufacture of the front axles specs ! So they literaly bend (bow up) the axle itself in the middle to bring it where it can be adjusted properly and the dealership shops are not properly trained in this (and the few who are, are just too lazy to do it *as was the case in our dealership!*) . Then he went on to say he'd been called by the owner of the dealership himself and was told to do whatever it took to make us happy or bring us back to the dealer where he'd exchange that truck for another new one with the stipulation that we'd take any future problems elsewhere !  Come to find out Deb had written a letter to the Frieghtliner Corperation about our issues and unhappieness (on her employers letterhead and as my representive), which had gotten back to the owner of the dealership and he didn't want the bad publicity and/or lawsuit! Now as far using golfballs I don't anymore I now use equal and have been totally happy! BK  Grin

Sorry so long but it shows not everything works as it should!

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »

I looked at the michellin tire warranty, If you put ANYTHING except air or nitrogen in their tire, the warranty is void.

Goodyear wasn't as harsh, but did reserve the right to void the warranty if they determine the added stuff damaged the tire.

I'm no tire expert, but if 2 of the biggest tire makers warn against putting stuff inside the tire in their warranty..... well, it makes me think they must know something I don't and it is not as simple as some would have you to believe.

To me, it is obvious that the tire designers had no plans for stuff inside the tire and made no provisions for measuring the wear of the inner casing.

BTW, BK made an excellent point about the alignment.

I have had tires that were regularly inspected fail from hidden damage and that was no fun. The cost to repair the damage was much more than a few tires.

My choice is to follow the tire manufacturers recommendations for my uses and to wish good luck to those who ignore the manufacturers advice.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: