Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:45:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you use in your parts cleaner?  (Read 1747 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »

Hi folks, what do you use in your parts cleaner?
Getting ready to have my shop up and running...getting things ready.
Thanks in advance.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
michigan-express

1961 flxible hi-level 6v92 detroit allison 644

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »

hi--i have always used kerosene. but you have to watch if you are using a circulation pump---it gets really hot and could catch fire. it works really well and the smell is not to bad. i always keep the top closed when not in use. hope this helps. frank-0
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »

Call you local Zep dealer and order a couple 5 gallon Dyna 170 solvent..

Or find a local Safety Kleen driver and give him some Ca$h for a 30 gallon drum of solvent..
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »

Hi Jack. Much depends on your cleaner. If it's the recirculating type you can buy from Harbor Freight and such and there's no danger of setting anything on fire I've found that a pretty even mixture of gasoline and Diesel makes the best cleaner. For years it was used by every pit crew in racing.

Disposal, now there's the rub. Dirty cleaning solution is great for burning brush...don't fear the gas in it because those vapors disappear quickly.

I guess it all boils down to whether or not you want to get work done or be an Environmentalist. Stay away from Saf-t-Clean!  They charge a fortune to supply and re-cycle mineral sprits with a dye in it.

Best of Luck to both you and Diane,

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »

Jack, I used Safety-Kleen for years but their prices went through the roof and working on buses for a hobby I now use the filtered kerosene you buy from Lowes for 35 bucks for 5 gal easy on the hands and comes in a metal can that has good uses also. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 03:18:12 PM »

I have used stoddard solvent for years.  Does a good job and does not smell all that bad.  I have not bought any in a couple of years.  Read somewhere that it is no longer available. 

If it isn't I guess I will go with the kerosene.  I really don't care much for kerosene, as it seems to be a bit oily in my opinion and does not cut the grease that well.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:02:43 PM »

I don't use gasoline in the powered washer because of fumes.  Might turn myself into a human torch but where is the fun in being safe?  Kerosene is D without the quart of 30 wt / 10 gal(?).  I have used paint thinner/mineral spirits with success.  Solvent is odor free and flame proof but costly.

I use a high pressure water sprayer to knock the grease off and get it down to metal.  Then I spray it down with Easy Off oven cleaner with lye and not the gentle on th hands and fumeless. You want te stuff that disolves flesh and takes your breath away..  If it is really hot out, the paint will come off a axle assembly/diff.  Cool in the shade it only removes every stink'en trace of grease when hit with the water gun.  Paint it quick cause it is oil free and will rust quickly.  Lye is used for a degreasing treatment for rifle barrels just before they are blued.  How dangerous can an oven spray be?  Plenty, actually....use safety equip. as for everything else.

BTDT,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »

Good answers from all, thanks.
Someone I talked to said to use Purple Power.
Most say kerosene.
I had originally bought several gallons of odorless mineral spirits, then got to thinking that had some flameability.  Mineral Spirits is the same thing as Varsol, however I think it is Exxon that has the patent on the Varsol name.)
By the way, the parts cleaner is an air operated Ammco Brakes 10 gallon washer.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »

By the way, the parts cleaner is an air operated Ammco Brakes 10 gallon washer

Then you can clean with NITRO!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »

Jack, the filtered kerosene at Lowes is the 1-K very low sulfur the 2-K is high sulfur and is oily

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »

You guys might be surprised at how well Coleman Fuel works. I can't say that I know how well it does side by side with Kerosene but I can say that the smell is gone from your hands or gloves if you will in a very short time. Long story short I use it in my Taxidermy bird work & needed to clean some parts. Had some older Coleman so I used it. Was very surprised. And again I really like the smell going away quickly.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »

I don't have a parts washer, just a metal pan, but I use gasoline. Have all my life. Works great for grease. For disposal, I let it evaporate outside or use it on the brush fire.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 04:10:11 AM »

I use varsol.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 05:34:46 AM »

I just recently found out about a great cleaning product that is actually biodegradable. My boat mechanic uses it to cleanout all the gunk build -up in carburetors. It removes varnish buildup. Its called  L.A. Totally Awesome.  $ 3.15 at Dollar store for 1/2 gallon. It also works great on grease. Not sure how it would work in parts cleaner pump. Bubble bubble. Marc
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 06:16:46 AM »

I use gasoline or diesel or kerosene or whatever I think will do the job.  But, if it's environmentally friendly, It's not worth a darn (insert replacement word of choice).

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: