Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 08:30:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceiling insulation  (Read 4852 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:23 PM »

Well if we told everybody ten it wouldn't be a "secret" code now would it?  Jeez Louise

Imho....in my humble opinion

FWIW...for what it is worth

YMMV.....your mileage may vary

HTH.... Hope this helps

BFF....best friends forever  grade school stuff

WTF OVER..

FUBAR..

SNAFU...

WAG....wild @$# guess

SWAG super wag

SCWAG....super colossal wag

There must be a book of these somewhere.  I would google it but what are they?

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 11:39:22 PM »

Aunt,

what with the reverence everyone pays Cliffor

Yes we do...er except maybe Ace.  Now this may clue you in a tad.  One Xmas eve a Knut was traveling thru Palm Springs and said Knut lost his engine air compressor.  That stops you dead in your tracks and it did him.  The knut went on line and asked for advice and help/  Clifford answered and together they determined that the compressor was shot.  Clifford, with his wife, drove to Palm Springs WITH a compressor he had laying around and helped the stranded Knut change it on the side of the road.  Now Clifford is no spring chicken and God knows he has paid his dues but, like the Energizer Bunny.....he just keeps on giving.  Time, advice, encouragement, parts all of it.  Yeah, reverence is a good word, respect works, endearment wouldn't be any sort of stretch and....well you get it, right?  When that knut posted his predicament Clifford's bride said we can't just leave him stranded out there on Xmas eve".  They apparently are a matched set.  He robbed the cradle on that one, also . He is a Dog.

My take on it through observation, anyway.

John

And thank you Clifford for giving me so many nice things to say.  Feels good from this end.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:56 AM »

John, now THAT's funny! Smiley

My take on it...

why pay for something if it's common knowledge!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »

Antknee,
             Earlier when I mentioned the smell factor I didn't cover where & what all the smell comes from. I suppose you will remove the old AC vents. When you do there will be a dirt & all sorts of things mostly probably dead things that will have been inhabiting that area for who knows how long. You might get lucky & not get the SMELL but you will want to get rid of all that anyway. Now you're on your way.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »

Ant,

That is a great choice. Not only does it make sense, but Clifford recommends it. You are a smart man. Maybe you could save a dollar, but that would probably be penny wise, dollar foolish.

Let us know what you find.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Antknee

Nothin great has been accomplished without passion

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 07:30:02 AM »

JohnEd, did you just call me AUNT? it's Ant! sheesh.... But seriously Thanks for that bit of insight onto Clifford, makes me even more satisfied with my decision to follow his advice, now I know this is probably a dead horse but I will bring it up again, but not in this thread Check my new thread coming shortly.....

TTFN

Anthony Brown
82 Prevost Le Mirage
Jewell, Kansas

http://prevostconversion.blogspot.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:42 AM »

Ant,

You know that is kind of funny. I just about called you "Aunt" too. I thought it was pretty clever of JohnEd. LOL ROFL

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Antknee

Nothin great has been accomplished without passion

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »

Found this on Wikipedia:

Some types of foam insulation, such as polyurethane and polyisocyanurate are blown with heavy gases such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) or hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HFCs). However, over time a small amount of these gases diffuse out of the foam and are replaced by air, thus reducing the effective R-value of the product. There are other foams which do not change significantly with aging because they are blown with water or are open-cell and contain no trapped CFCs or HFCs (e.g. half-pound low density foams). On certain brands, twenty-year tests have shown no shrinkage or reduction in insulating value

Interesting, I wonder which type is in my bus, anyone know? Clifford?

I'm still taking mine out just researching r value and came across this  Smiley

Anthony Brown
82 Prevost Le Mirage
Jewell, Kansas

http://prevostconversion.blogspot.com
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »

FWIW, is for what its worth, dont know the others. JohnEd, I am not religious about TC, maybe about the bus itself,  Grin, but not that. Yes, I am convinced, as we have first hand experience with it. I do know we have ran the air, and had the heat on the bus, and it is like an insulated cooler in there. We didnt spray the ceramics inside on the roof, but on the roof itself, and it is on the sides and floor. A power washer takes care of the top. We left the original spray insulation, and added more where it needed it, as well as additional insulation too. We also put spray foam in side the metal tubing inside also. Left no places empty. Maybe overkill, but, ya only get one shot at doing it right. Everyone has their own opinions, but the best anyone can do is to ask questions, as there is a lot of help on here, but, then, do your own research.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 07:54:19 AM »

You guys are too funny Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin But, you are all a great bunch of guys. Thanks for all the great advice and help you give us. It is appreciated.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »

One of the LARGEST performance factors for that spray foam is "DOESN'T ABSORB WATER".  Quite emphatically.

I think open cell does and closed cell doesn't absorb water.  Wet open cell doesn't work well at all and remember that Knuts have posted that they thought there was a hole in the roof and it was leaking rain water and it turned out to be condensation.

Maybe you can post a better "findings paper" about the suitability of "open cell foam" in RV wall insulation applications.  Nobody has done that yetr as far as I know.

John

—Pla
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »

I noticed today on my XL the ceiling insulation is different than the sidewall below the window level..The ceiling is more dense and the sidewall seems porous(below window level)...ceiling is holding up very well and did except Kiltz oil base sealer;with no damage...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: