Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:24:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DD alternator horror story  (Read 3374 times)
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »

Yes, as Van said. I made one several years ago for a friends 4104 (L6-71) so he could drive it home to CT. I used a piece of 1/4" flat stock.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 10:20:17 AM »

AND to further amplify the pucker factor:  Rick told me that the "older version of the 50 DN were worse than the newer models".  I didn't dig into that comment because he looks at the 50 as an end item and doesn't associate it with an engine or bus model.  The Knuts here could probably expand on that topic with much more useful info.  To me that meant that the 4104 and 4106 guys had more to be concerned about, but, as was stated, that may not be much.

I did pick up an interesting tid bit though,  Rick scoffed at the idea of having the 50 oriented properly for the oil cooled version.  He said that that didn't matter and that it would cool ok regardless.  I have read posts where the owner was cautioned to remove his 50 and put it back with the Huh pointed "up"....flat spot?  Considering that you need a crae to lift the thing in and out, not having to do that is some sort of really good news.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »

I did pick up an interesting tid bit though,  Rick scoffed at the idea of having the 50 oriented properly for the oil cooled version.  He said that that didn't matter and that it would cool ok regardless.  I have read posts where the owner was cautioned to remove his 50 and put it back with the Huh pointed "up"....flat spot?  Considering that you need a crae to lift the thing in and out, not having to do that is some sort of really good news.

John

If the orientation is wrong, the diodes may not be immersed in oil, so the unit would need to be downrated significantly

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »

Tony,

Your comment was mine and it still makes sense to me.  The re-builder said it didn't matter and his advice is counter intuitive.  I think he said there is an awful lot of oil going thru it and any diode in there will be wet often enuf.  But I don't know.  I do know that if I installed one it would have the flat spot up?

John, it ain't my lie

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: