Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 12:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WVO so far  (Read 6838 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 12:31:36 PM »

Wal,

Don't for a moment hear me putting anything down.  It is all discussion for me and it bears fruit now or later!!!!!

I had a friend with a Ford D that had a station top of his D tank with gasoline.  It ran "poorly" as you might imagine.  That led to having the tank removed and cleaned and new injectors and a new pump.  Had we only known that a solution was to siphon off half the tank and fill with WVO "for the WIN".  Too soon old, Amigo.  Too soon old.  Would have saved him $2,500 in needless repair bills from another supposed FRIEND.

Hap,

Drain oil has sulphuric acid and water and non-ferrous metals in it as well as dirt particulate.  It needs to be neutralized and dried and filtered.  The allowable dilution ratios will be determined by the ambient and the weight of the WMO stock.    It was common practice in the The Day to charge the fuel filters with ATF when they were changed at "reputable and conscientous shops".  ATF costs money.  Thery did that cause ATF has a lot of detergents for the injectors and, I'm led to believe, was and is synthetic oil that has a high scorch temp.  Bottom line is that a mech D will run just fine on it and live if the temp thing is taken care of.  I have heard that modern ATF has detergents in it that are harmful to the innards over the long run BUT waste ATF no longer has those detergents as they are spent.  Why KNOWS for sure about this stuff?Huh

write if you learn anything FOR SURE.

John ever in wonder

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 12:45:03 PM »

John, yes I was studying doing the atf and wmo. It would have been processed at my home in a couple tanks with a set somewhat like the wvo. But I stopped studying or seriously considering it when I realized how vulnerable I was to picking up fluids that were mixed with stuff that could actually hurt my engine. My brother makes bio and his wife works in a restaurant, Im supposed to make a trip out there this summer and buy a bunch from him at that time to supplement the fuel bill.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
NeoplanAN440

1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »

i wouldnt run wmo in larger concentrations!!!

i run hydraulic oil,atf on our mercedes and cummins,but on used crankcase oil i go not higher then 10%.

i have a lister single running as my back up generator.my main gen is a 12hp witte.the engine is very simple and can be taken apart in 1hr without problems.when running used crankcase oil higher then 20% ,i found a lot of carbon buildup.
also the synthetic oils tend to get you a lot of carbon and unclean burn!!

i still collect crankcase oil,but i use it for a waste oil boiler to heat my house via hydronic heating.
less hassle and worry to clean it.the oil burners have no wear parts that get affected by the quality of the oil.

the problem is the same as with wvo ,it takes some time to set up your collection route.also you need get some trust in the people that fill your collection barrels.lot of shops dont care if there is antifreeze with the oil,and you be stranded to clean and dry the oil.!!!!

now with the economy going  down,i can see the effects first hand on the quality my wvo has.
restaurants do short cuts,keep the oil longer in,or use more shortening.......
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 03:19:32 PM »

Neo,

The WMO fired  hydronic is a lagit subject for this board because of the number of Knuts that have Wabasto and other boilers.  How are you doing that?  Gun type?  Mods?  Heating oil?  Syphon or pressure fed?  OOOOO that is a good subject but I wonder at the periodic maint with the boiler.

EMAIL is good but lets see what the moderators say.  Mikey is such a narrow minded stickler Shocked if you know what I mean. Lips Sealed

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »

Here's a nice 7 KW Lister/Kohler

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
NeoplanAN440

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »

nice lister petter!

here is the lister cs i was talking about
NeoplanAN440

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 05:32:59 AM »

and its bigger brother
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »

I would just like to say I am loving this thread.  I hope it gets archived somewhere.  So far it has explained and covered tons of WVO systems and problems I had not yet contemplated.  I may never run WVO but I may, and I am enjoying the thread.  Good work guys.

wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

It has been a good thread.  I learned something about why one would use a surge tank.  I will be looking fir one tomorrow. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

Zub,

You don't need all the equip and installation you have been reading about to benefit.  If you can collect WVO,wash it, dry it and filter it you can "mix" it in with D and benefit hugely.  If you blend at 50% your fuel cost goes to half price.  In the heat of the summer, now.  No tanks, heaters pumps or fuel lines.....blending is the poor mans Waste Veggie Oil system.  Wash it and dry it with a bubbler running in salt brine and then let it sit for Huh?  Filter and test it using the "hot plate" method.  Store it in 5 gal totes with a shot of bactericide fuel additive and it keeps for a year.  Fill your first tank on 50% and lug along as many totes as you care to for the trip.  Hope to see you in Orygun next summer.....right?

Your drain oil is a know commodity to you.  If you aren't cleaning and drying that and diluting your fuel no more than 10% with it then shame on you.  I can't testify to this but long ago I was told that back in the day DD used to include the statement in their documentation that using "more than" 10% motor oil in the fuel would void the engine warranty.  So 10% was SAFE as far as DD was concerned?  The problem was feeding the fuel pump high viscosity fuel.....not that oil would foul the engine.  Not if it is clean, dry and neutralized.

Doing both gets you down of 40% of the cost of a gallon of Dino D.  Are we talking a long distance drive for summer or just more trips?

Find a site called "journey to forever" and get comfy cause it will take you a good long while to finish blissing out if you liked this post.  Log onto Blenders(they are certifiable so be careful there) and the other sites on Yahoo Groups that deal with WVO and BioD using and making.

Ever hear of a guy pulling into a service station and getting a load of pump gas by mistake?  Sure  you have.  Well the cure if that happens in the summer is to dilute that amt of pump gas with 80% clean WVO.  In the winterdilute it with 50% WVO.  Probem.....ALL GONE and you get to use the gas you were refunded and the cash for dropping the tank and cleaning it and replacing the DinoD that was in the tank. you know....when life deals you lemons you make blender fuel and keep on trucking.  Make a big stink at the station though and "mums the word"....right?

HTH,

John

—Pla
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: