Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:56:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40' Thomas Coach bus questins...  (Read 1093 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2006, 06:36:53 PM »

Ive got a chance to pick up a 1988 40' Thomas Coach bus for next to nothing. I havent seen it yet...hopefully tommarrow. The seller tells me it has a 3208 Cat diesel with an Allison auto with 125k miles. It has a rear bathroom with storage under the coach. Is anyone familier with this type of bus. The only Thomas bodys Ive been able to find on line are school bus's and the seller tells me its not a school bus type. The bus was purchased by the owner 2 years ago to do a conversion. A few seats have been removed, but thats as far as he got. Its been in storage since. He's paying a monthly storage fee and is anxious to get rid of it. The motor hasen't been started in a year. I realize that Ill probably be looking at replacing seals, tires etc., but was thinking with the low price for the coach, I could put the money into an engine rebuild, new tires, batterys and whatever else needs replacing and still be ahead of the game.

So, is anyone familier with the Thomas Coach body ? What should I be looking for when I go look at it (aside from my checklist, since its been sitting for two years). Keep in mind that advertised price is LOW and he told me on the phone, he's pretty much tired of paying storage and just wants to get rid of it..hopefully to someone for a conversion and the price is VERY negotioble.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:58 PM »

Expect the 3208 CAT to smoke badly when started, but it will clear up as it warms up. It is especially bad on cold weather.

Mine is in a dump truck with 90 K mi. on it and the oil consumption is negligible.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 07:26:49 PM »

Speakin of thomas buses, this one happend here this week, all the kiddies were ok.

http://www.wyff4.com/video/9643293/detail.html Shocked

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 08:55:26 PM »

Good buses-built on a chassis.  Thomas is now part of the Freightliner family, so you can get them repaired there.  I think the most important thing is to check out the transmission.  If it is the AT545, then pass on it since they don't have a torque converter lockup, and do alot of slipping at highway speeds.  They worked well around town, but not at highway speeds.  If it is the MT643 or similar, then OK.  The 3208 is a decent engine, but don't expect alot of power.  The non turbo only put out 210hp and 450lb/ft torque.  Even the 250hp turbo only put out 600lb/ft torque.  For a light weight bus, though, it would work.  Nice thing to is that they have more ground clearance so if you're going off road, will not bottom out as much.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 09:01:12 PM »

dosn't Boogiethecat have a crown?
                                                  Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »

Just had a long discussion with the seller on the phone, and he talked me out of buying his bus. He explained that it needed a ton of work and after he started tearing it apart, he realized it wasn't worth his time as a conversion. Gotta love honest people....

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: