Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 15, 2014, 08:04:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairgrounds Burnett, Texas  (Read 1505 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2010, 06:28:18 AM »

Well fellas I am sitting in a lawn chair in Burnett.  Wicked drive up here arriving some time around midnight.  My poor old bus struggled through Devil's Backbone.  I was really keeping my thoughts on the pedal and not giving to much fuel when climbing hills, I just let it down shift on it's own.  There was one where we went down to 35 mph. 

I heard from a guy who had a 6v92 and traded it for an 8v and said it was worth every penny.  Here I go thinking.  I am going to run this one until I retire.  Then I might pull this engine and go with the 8.  I want to travel north through Wyoming and what not someday and right now that would be a slow go.

I was able to keep the engine heat to 180.  I noticed it would the heat would go up if I put my foot in it.
Does everyone with a 6v have the same trouble?  It makes me think my engine is gettin tired.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:32:42 AM »

Wayne,

You should try running some hills with an 8v71n like we have. I just put on the four ways and keep the rpm's up knowing I'll get to the top and then I can go back down at a safe speed. Grin

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:16 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:46:22 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 07:25:44 AM »

Yup, we just made a run yesterday from Yakima to Portland and i had to run the 4 way flashers a couple of times.  I even pulled over once and let traffic go by. Turns out there was a truck lane just around the next corner. I have an 8V71 with a 644 Allison and i do not usually let it shift by itself just because of what Dallas said. I watch my tach and my temp gauge, then i watch my speedo. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:45:33 AM »

Not your engine Wayne time to clean the radiator or install a different fan Eagles do not run hot if everything is up to par how many blades do have on your Eagle fan what I am saying move air and it will run cool. FWIW a 8v92 is a better engine, keep it in mind a 6v92 is just a 9 L engine you are not going to win very many uphill battles with one.? where did you find a hill big enough to slow you down going from Brookshire to Burnett one of my daughters lives 20 miles from there in a place called Oakalla man does Coopers BBQ sound good not far from Burnett at Llano. 

good luck
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:41:40 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
NeoplanAN440

1995 MCI 102 D3 running WVO Neoplan AN440

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »

that how a 6v92 does.
mine will show me that we reach a grade before i see it!! (haha)
if i have to pull a grade ,i will see higher coolant temps ,but no overheating trouble.
i have to keep rpms above 1600-1700 (manual downshifting the atec),other wise i will fall in a hole powerwise!!!!
you have to keep rpms up,is key.

the hill driving with a trailer,is my reason to collect all the parts to change to a cummins.
if my bus would be bigger i would even  go the s60 route.
not to get faster on the interstate,but to be safer on step grades.
even with the 4 ways on,you dont feel safe crawling up raton pass ,or even the small texas canyon in AZ.
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »

Not your engine Wayne time to clean the radiator or install a different fan Eagles do not run hot if everything is up to par how many blades do have on your Eagle fan what I am saying move air and it will run cool. FWIW a 8v92 is a better engine, keep it in mind a 6v92 is just a 9 L engine you are not going to win very many uphill battles with one.? where did you find a hill big enough to slow you down going from Brookshire to Burnett one of my daughters lives 20 miles from there in a place called Oakalla man does Coopers BBQ sound good not far from Burnett at Llano. 

good luck

hello luvrbus,  I took 71 from Austin to 281 and turned north to Burnett.  There was one hill around Bee Cabe that slowed me to 35.  I am sure it is because I did not shift it down manually.  Once I started doing that I only slowed to around 47 to 48ish.

I thought the same thing on the radiator.  I do beleive I will take it out and tame it to the radiator shop and ask them to give it the go over.  I never overheated, I went 190 once.  I locked the pedal in and it stayed At 180.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

Mine goes real slow up steep grades too. I wouldnt trade mine in though, from what I have been told mine gets better gas mileage and can take wvo easier then the 8vs It is a trade off to go up hill slower. But I came across this article http://www.rv-coach.com/current_category.200/News.48/news_detail.html and want to try the filter out for the cooling system. Has anyone here used it?

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

Wal,

You need a fan like this.  It solved all my overheating problems.

Here is the topic that got me going on this fan back in 2006.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=4808.0

David
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:14:29 PM by David Anderson » Logged
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

Looks like David has been talking with the guys at Atlas Radiator in Corpus lol I have a 32 inch like that on my 8v92 hold on to your cap as you walk by. 

good luck

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:34:55 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »

Dallas I had to install a 3 speed clutch on mine most of the time it is set on low, high is just too much

good luck

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »

Boy that thing must really suck! Wink  Grin Grin. I need to get one of those, although my ac Shocked fan works pretty good and keeps her at 185, I like that new one, would be a big improvement  Grin 

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »

Wow David, that is a serious fan! Maybe that's what I heard when you left after your last visit! Roll Eyes

What is the rating on that puppy?

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: