Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 11:56:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Busted "drop box" in SC  (Read 4974 times)
Timnvt

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »

Hi Ya'll,

Haven't posted here much since the site was created.  I am broke down in Charleston SC and need help in locating a "drop box" for a mci5.  On a trip right now with family from Vermont to South Carolina and yesterday the gears went and left us stranded.  Anyone know of a good used "drop box" available anywhere in the Southeast part of the country?

Clarification. I'm in need of the device that transfers the power from the driveshaft to the rear differential on the mci5.

Email is terhune@wildblue dot net  cell 802-three two three-6347

Thanks,  Tim.

PS. Thanks David for the right name to call this thing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:50:18 PM by Timnvt » Logged

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »

Sounds like you need a drop box.  Anyone out there have one in the shed??

David
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 03:49:37 PM »

Can some of Eagles guys in SC help him out Eagle and MCI use the same dropbox I am to far away to help,Tim if it is ok with you I'll post about the drop box on the Eagles board if you don't get help here

good luck
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:57:18 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »

Call Ray Cox in Atlanta.  Give me a call and I will give you his number.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:32:36 PM »

Tim,
      I'm 60 miles from Charleston straight up I26. If I can help let me know. Try Jack's lead & call Ray Cox. I don't know anyone else who would have a drop box in this area. My number is 803-829-four two four two. Leave a message. I'll catch you up.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »

Goodson bus has boxes, new and used. Maiden, NC. 828-428-4102. Frankie, or Greg.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »

Way to go you Eagle guys,Tim if you can not find one on East Coast I know where one is at in BC but freight will be a killer  

good luck Grin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:08:23 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:42:13 PM »

Tim, are you on the side of the road? Or is it in a shop now? hope all works out well. Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »

Update----
         Tim's bus is at a shop in North Charleston, SC. He, his wife & 7 kids are at the Holiday Inn. We have 1 drop box located. It may have issues. We know there will be others to get a hold of come Monday morning. They just might be in NC or Georgia. We'll keep you posted.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »

http://www.jeansbussvc.com/Contact%20Information.htm

Try Johnny or Robbie at Jean's, They work on some Eagles there too.  They may be able to locate you one.

Telephone
    Local          864-242-1673
    Toll free  1-800 833-7518 

Hope your OK Tim, I guess you have a spare in Vermont Huh
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:03:27 PM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Timnvt

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »

Thanks a lot guys for all the leads and helps. Sounds like there are drop boxes to be had which is good news.  Not sure how much phoning and connecting I'll be able to do until monday. I was on the side of the road just south of georgetown sc.  Was able to locate a Landoll to have the bus transported to a diesel shop in Charleston.  I'll be checking with them Monday to see what arrangements I can make with them to install a replacement box.

Yes John, I do have a "spare" drop box back home in Vermont in the wreck.  If need be I would get myself home and somehow remove it and drive or ship it back down here.  And it may come to that.  But it would be simpler by far if a drop box could be had nearby and get this trip back into play while I still have my wife and kids with me.  That bus you helped me get parts from a few years ago had a drop box still in it.  I'm hoping I can contact the owner to see if it is still there.

You guys are the best.  Thanks.

Tim.

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
neverlearn

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »

David at Southern Oregon Diesel had (as of a couple of months ago) an excellent reconditioned drop box and 3rd member at $4k for the pair and about $575 for shipping to VA.  It is on a pallet and ready to ship.  Good Luck.

Anything worth doing, is worth OVERdoing.
1984 MC-9: Went from Passenger service to my driveway where it stores the components for its upcoming transformation.
6V92 HT740
Palmyra, VA
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »

Give me a call this morning I may be able to help/ 864-804-8077

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 05:30:19 AM »

These folks maybe able to help you great people to do business with.

Lewis Bus Lines   Augusta, GA   1-800-532-8517      
Talmadge or Joey Lewis
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »

These folks maybe able to help you great people to do business with.

Lewis Bus Lines   Augusta, GA   1-800-532-8517      
Talmadge or Joey Lewis

Just be careful that you get a good box from them. They are part of the Easter "lineup."

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 06:47:32 AM »

I recall you discussing that,  that is where I learned about MC-5 having a drop box.

Let me know if you need help up this way.

Thanks a lot guys for all the leads and helps. Sounds like there are drop boxes to be had which is good news.  Not sure how much phoning and connecting I'll be able to do until monday. I was on the side of the road just south of georgetown sc.  Was able to locate a Landoll to have the bus transported to a diesel shop in Charleston.  I'll be checking with them Monday to see what arrangements I can make with them to install a replacement box.

Yes John, I do have a "spare" drop box back home in Vermont in the wreck.  If need be I would get myself home and somehow remove it and drive or ship it back down here.  And it may come to that.  But it would be simpler by far if a drop box could be had nearby and get this trip back into play while I still have my wife and kids with me.  That bus you helped me get parts from a few years ago had a drop box still in it.  I'm hoping I can contact the owner to see if it is still there.

You guys are the best.  Thanks.

Tim.

usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »

John316 said:

Just be careful that you get a good box from them. They are part of the Easter "lineup."

John are you sure?  I have heard nothing but good from the Lewis family.

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »

Gary, I also heard Bobby Easter bought Lewis I would ask to be sure. 

good luck

Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

I don't know anything about Easter but Talmadge Lewis was very truthful with me when I purchased my Bus from him 12 years ago.  Everything he told me was correct about the bus as I checked with Calvin Cooper of American Coach Lines of Norcross GA who bought this coach new.  He sent me a copy of the maintenance records and everything matched.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 09:48:27 AM »

Nothing wrong with Talmadge JC he has always been upfront with me over the years also, now Bobby I can not say the same if Easter does own it and Talmadge is no longer there I would look elsewhere Bobby has never been one to sell used parts in the past.
I hope for Tims sake he did not lose the pinion drive gear that is the one getting hard to find and does not come with the drop box I had to send one to Bryon a few months ago to Georgia  

good luck
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:12:31 AM by luvrbus » Logged

John316

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 11:47:54 AM »

Gary (usbusin),

My statement was simply based on the fact that Easters and Lewis's are family. I am not sure if Talmadge still works there, or not. I was simply saying, that one needs to be careful.

God bless,

John

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »

I just love how people speculate on a person/s business from mere here say!
One should only announce their opinion from FIRST HAND experience rather that what their buddies buddy mentioned!

Although Bobby Easter does not sell a lot of parts to individuals via email or phone, he WILL sell parts in person! That way he knows the person is serious and I can't blame him! Too many calls turn out to be a waste of time!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 04:25:23 PM »

Ace I have bought parts from Bobby over the phone before he is smart enough to know when your on the west coast you cannot be there in person.
You are right it is best to be there in person then you know what you are buying and paying for and I will leave it at that.

John316

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »

And my point, Ace,  was simply if you buy from them make sure that the product is good.

And as far as Bobby, yes I have done business with him. And I KNOW what I am talking about. If he can pull one on you, he will.

God bless,

John

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 06:23:53 PM »

John I guess I'm from the old school! If you allow someone to take advantage of you, it's your own damn fault! YOU being the buyer, should KNOW what your buying before you exchange funds!

I take it you didn't know what you were buying as in good or bad and therefore it's Bobbies fault?

Buying anything site unseen is like rolling the dice with anyone anywhere. You know the old saying, "buyer beware"!

And for your information, I bought a whole bus from Bobby and felt I got a hell of a deal at THAT time! Would I do it again? Hell yes! Would I recommend him? Again, yes! I must admit, I DID have some insight on what to expect when going in on the deal from a friend that was also a previous buyer of a bus from him. Friendly he is not, but when your in business to make money, you don't make friends, you do business!

And to add, there have been numerous times when friends and even myself that have needed USED bus parts and I have called him personally and received GREAT response/s!

To each his own but I wouldn't dis a business on here say, like I previously mentioned especially when it may be the buyers lack of knowledge to begin with!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
John316

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »

Whatever, Ace Roll Eyes

Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »

As much labor as is involved in replacing the drop box or entire rear end, I would certainly open it up and take a good look before installing, perhaps replace bearings just because it's easy and relatively inexpensive.

Used parts are just that.  Usually, the best the seller can offer is that it drove in here and seemed OK.  It might still have been fifty miles away from being junk.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »

Perhaps I am speaking after the fact.
Many years ago a fellow bus buddy owned a MC-5A and the drop box failed.
I located a used one/rebuilt? for his coach had the bus towed to a local (Small Bus Company that ran Eagles) who installed the drop box.
The owner of this small bus company was the driver and mechanic and his wife also drove and ran the office and charter orders.
At the time the owner/mechanic stated that CCC Crane Carrier Corporation had new drop boxes that would fit MC-5 and Eagles.
CCC made heavy duty trucks for the ready mix concrete companies.
The above information about CCC is over 20 years old and don't know if CCC is still operating.
jlv

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:02 AM »

Yep JLV lot of military stuff uses the same drop box also and you will find them behind the Allison transmission in some applications

good luck
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:07:16 AM by luvrbus » Logged

zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »

That is an interesting piece of info.   While the guys were looking around for a drop box it occurred to me that I have seen what I think are drop boxes on the rear ends of some Big rigs, between the 2nd and 3rd axle, and as noted on cement trucks.  Seems to me buses try to use  truck parts if available, and eagle would be a likely candidate for that. maybe MCI as well.  Really don't have a clue but just want to promote the idea that we need to keep up on interchange parts as our beasts age.

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »

So what did Monday reveal?

4905 doc

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:32 AM »

And my point, Ace,  was simply if you buy from them make sure that the product is good.

And as far as Bobby, yes I have done business with him. And I KNOW what I am talking about. If he can pull one on you, he will.

God bless,

John
Sorry John,I'd have to side with Ace on this one. I too bought a complete bus from Bobby. was completely satisfied.  Smiley plus I have sent others there for parts. never heard a bad word.
Timnvt

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »

Well, Monday I locaated the shop where the bus was hauled, General Diesel of N. Charleston. Seems to be a decient shop and I felt good about having them work on it.

The bus moved!!! Could not get it to slip or chatter. Assumption is then having cooled down things are meshing somewhat. So, couldn't determine externally where the problem lies.

After taking in all the factors involved (8 people= 2 motel rooms /nite + 15 passenger van @ $100+/day etc) we decided to fly home and take the opportunity to salvage the parts off our wrecked bus and drive them down next week to be installed. After a good nights sleep we will see tommorow if we can get the old girl fired up and moved into position to begin the disassembly. I'm a great one for being able to take things apart so I believe we can do this.

Turns out that bus west of Greenville we'd gotten parts off of a few years ago has been crushed so no prospect there. However this discussion of drop boxes on other applications is a great idea.

I've been learning a lot through readiing everyones posts.  There sure are a lot of considerations to be weighed.

Tim.

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 06:05:34 PM »

Tim, I've been reading your posts and sure feel sorry for what messed up your families trip. I guess it's part of the insanity of driving around in 30 or 40 year old busses. But then again when it's all said and done you'll have a hell of a story that you all will be talking about for a long time. Hope you get what you need and get the ole girl rolling without to much pain. My bus always looks better in front of my house but then I can't wait to leave again!!!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »

Tim,

Glad you have stablilized your situation for the moment, for you and your family. I, too have a MCI 5C w/ 6V92, and look forward to what failed in your box. I really look & learn at mechanical failures, (also aircraft mishaps) as things happen for a reason. With the benefit of your information, possibly I can avoid a repeat.

Best of luck in your repairs & Hope your travels in the future are trouble free,

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »

Glad to know you have the options weighed out Tim.  Hope it all goes smoothly. Smiley

Gary '79 5C

When yours was changed to a 6V92, was the drop box removed since it is a shorter engine?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: