Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 04:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drop Box -the whole story  (Read 830 times)
Timnvt

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »

The whole story. 

Left Vermont tuesday 5am.  Felt vibration coming from rear of bus, but it didnít seem abnormal.  It usually does vibrate some.  Filled up with fuel in lower NJ mid afternoon.  Pulling back onto TPK seemed to be vibrating more than it should.  I was concerned about it but passed it off and continued down the highway.  Crossed the Delaware Memorial bridge and it got real bad real fast.  Before I knew it we had no power to the wheels.  I coasted off the highway to a safe place, looked underneath and my heart sunk.

The drop box was missing 4-5 bolts and had separated on one side about an inch.  Obviously there was no oil in the box.  Called a wrecker, he pulled the axel and towed me to a nearby bus garage where there happened to be two mechanics working second shift. By nothing less than what I consider to be a miracle they were able to get bolts into 4 of the 5 holes and pulled that box back together. Refilled the oil and by the grace of God we were back on the road less than 5 hours later.  In fact it seemed to run smoother than ever.

Now at that point we had to decide whether to turn tail back home or continue to DC and then Charleston SC for a special family get-together. We decided to chance it as it was a special trip for the kids and the disappointment would have been tough.
An hour down the road we parked for a snooze after which I checked and there was a puddle of oil on the ground.  Also checked the bolts and retightened them. I continued this routine of checking and tightening the bolts as needed and adding about a gallon of oil every so often.

Everything seemed to be going well until Friday morning at Myrtle Beach area.  The rear end was chattering and adding more oil didnít quiet it down like it had previously. We made it maybe another 20 Ė 30 miles and we again coasted to the side of the road. 

The current experience is that in gear (auto transmission) it clicks the gears as it tries to engage.  I can feel the teeth just not quite catching one another.  I did manage to creep in reverse to move to a better place on the side of the road.  When I left the bus Friday I think I had gotten it to catch in forward just as it was being winched up on the Landoll.

Thatís the story so far.

PS. One confession:  I did not inspect under the bus as I ought to have and as I normally do before heading out on the trip. Had I done so I may have saved myself a load of trouble.

Tim.

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:22:49 PM »

Sorry to hear that Tim one thing wrong with the picture it should never have bolts only studs with nuts and lock washers between the differential and the drop box with no silicone always use a gasket

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:36:35 PM »

what part of Vermont are you from?

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Timnvt

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »

Northeast Kingdom. About 20 miles south of Canadian Border.

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: