Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:13:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof air conditioners  (Read 3800 times)
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »

...  If it works as claims I would like to put it ove rthe front windshield.  ...

In most states it is unlawful to put any sort of film or covering over the front windshield at all -- even if it is clear.

FWIW.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 09:45:56 AM »

To clarify front window film..I have a 89 prevost with 2 small windows on top..they are covered completely...on the lower glass I sat in the seat and spotted a line of site out of the front window and put film 3 inches up above that site..It is not in the line of site and is like a band on top of windshield...clear UN tinted glass everywhere I look...I did lite tint the drivers side side window and the entrance door window no more than you have on your family car....even with the tint on the drivers window(band)you can see Thru  it to see overhead signs and scenery..has mirror appearance from outside....Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »

... 2 small windows on top..they are covered completely...on the lower glass I sat in the seat and spotted a line of site out of the front window and put film 3 inches up above that site..It is not in the line of site and is like a band on top of windshield...

The small upper windows are probably OK most places.  However, what you've done on the lower portion is illegal in many states.

Some states allow a tint band at the top of the window, as you've done.  However there are various rules about how wide it can be (often no more than 6" -- even on a bus window), and some states allow it only if it is part of the OEM windshield.  Also, almost all states control the percentage of tint, not only here but also on side windows.

While what you have done may be safe, and you may feel justified, states usually do not allow drivers to make these decisions for themselves.  Fines can be steep, and your vehicle can be red-tagged (prohibited from moving) until you correct the violation.  It behooves you to know what the rules are in your own state as well as any states into which you take the coach.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.Blogspot.com

cody

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »

amazing
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »

Sean is right as far as I know.....I know, it gets boring.  No slice there Sean....really.

I mentioned that you could put that stuff over the drivers window and be able to see fine.   I WAS NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU ACTUALLY DO THAT.  Sheesh!  Only that it is THAT transparent.  Of course I actually have driven with the fronts fully covered but it was only for 15 miles and everyone knows you absolutely cannot kill anyone in that short a drive.  It is clear!  Obviously not legal without even looking it up.

By the way Wayne.... This shrink film doesn't touch the glass. It is attache at the perimeter to the frame or wall. It rides high and is above the glass as much as the frame. Now, what I suggested was that you put a strip of 1/4X1/4 or bigger around the perimeter of the window frame.  Then stick the film to the wall so the film doesn't contact the frame at all.  My frames are aluminum and where the film touched the aluminum I got little rivers of condensate running down the wall.

I was stopped so very often in that Z car I built back in the day.  Many times the cop only wanted to know where I had had it painted or where I had gotten some of the body parts/panels and a couple cops only wanted to tell me that it was the finest Z they had seen and "you know you are driving a TARGET, don't you?" I did! Cops and seventeen year old's couldn't stay away.  I had a heat problem as we all do in So Cal.  I tried that really dark tint on the side windows but ripped it off when I nearly rammed a guy in a parking lot who was cruising thru without lights.  I just had this funny feeling I sometimes get and slammed on the brakes......tint GONE.  I did put mirror on the side windows down to my eye level for as much protection as I could get and still not obstruct my side vision.

With a black dash I wanted as little sun on it as possible.   I sighted the window and outlined the edge of the hood and front fenders on the glass.  I cut out some film that shape and put it on.  All I was missing was the view of the hood and I didn't care.  Got a ton of shade from that move.  

With the top of the windshield I sighted straight out and found that the "stock kit" was perfect so I put that on.  I ended up with a windshield that had a horizontal "slit" that sure as hell looked illegal to me.....but it worked really well.  I pretty much knew I was safe regardless of the law.  I had read that it was totally illegal to put any film at all on the front.  Took about ten days till my next stop by the CHP.  He wanted me to look him in the eye and tell him the thing passed smog cause he heard her scream off the line and down the on ramp.  He said he had seen me race and leaned that I was in "showroom stock class" and he knew that had to be a lie.  I not only looked him in the eye but whipped out my smog cert and recommended the shop to him as well as "that" tuner.....Paco.  I did caution that Paco was really talented but also straight arrow and would not falsify a cert for any one....ever.  So what does this have to do with tint?  I asked the chatty officer what he thought about the tint and how much I had put on.  He smiled and said "please step out of the vehicle, Sir"  After I did he reached in and rested his billy club on the drivers spot and sighted over the top.  "Clear view of the roadway, your OK" he said.  I thanked him and mentioned that I had read the reg that said NO FILM and he laughed.  Said that the Legislature was working on a fix but his instructions  were what he showed me.

The Lt on the SDPD that lived next door and his/our buddies gave me a sticker to put on my rear window.  It was for the California Law Enforcement and Peace Officers Association.  They said that they had followed me on a few occasions and I was not nuts but with a car like that my days were numbered and it was only a matter of time. That was a big deal n that group and cops don't do that sort of thing for civilians.  No more stops after that....not one.  And I deserved to have my PP whacked at least a couple times.  Ladies love outlaws.  I got the SC Lex but I really do miss that Datsun.

Now if you meet the letter of the law in the state in which you are registered, I think you are good in all states....as a visitor.  Even pulling two trailers in a state that forbids that and that is a conspicuous BIGGIE

USE THE TINT

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

"amazing"   Say's it all.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 03:08:25 PM »

Now if you meet the letter of the law in the state in which you are registered, I think you are good in all states....as a visitor.  Even pulling two trailers in a state that forbids that and that is a conspicuous BIGGIE

Actually, reciprocity applies only to driver license status, not vehicle configuration and equipment.

So, for example, my Washington license allows me to drive coaches up to 45', whereas in California, a special license is required above 40'.  License reciprocity means I could drive a 45' coach in California.

However, a 46' coach is illegal in California, even though such a coach would be legal in several other states.  You can't bring a 46' coach into California no matter what state it is registered in.  That would include, BTW, a 45' coach with, say, a motorcycle rack on the bumper.

Now in practice, these laws are seldom enforced on a primary basis.  I personally know several people who have driven 48' coaches through California on more that one occasion.  A friend of mine also has a 45' coach with another 4' or so of hydraulic quad rack on the back.  But make no mistake, any officer who wants to can stop these folks, cite them, and even red tag them.  In California specifically, BTW, there is no such thing as "jurisdiction," so a park ranger, transit cop, tribal officer, or university cop can stop you on, say, I-80.  In fact, if you do something bone-headed right in front of them, they pretty much have no choice.

Do what you want with this information (including be amazed by it) -- it's your nickel.  I don't post these things here just to read my own writing, but rather because I would really not want to see any of you faced with what could amount to a several thousand dollar problem based on not being informed ahead of time.

-Sean

cody

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 04:17:11 PM »

Reciprocity extends far beyond only drivers licenses, for example, wisconsin vehicular law does not require security, or as of a couple of years ago it didn't, however, michigan recognises that fact, tribal laws are also recognized by the state of michigan in regards to vehicular codes. Possibly in california there is nothing recognizing jurisdiction but it certainly does apply in michigan, most counties cross-deputise with other law enforcement agencies that are licensed by the state, a tribal officer in baraga county may or may not have police power in any other noncontiguous county, it depends on whether they are cross deputised or not in that particular county, in many counties in other states the right of 'hot pursuit' is not allowed or recognized, some county officers must abandon pursuit at the county line in many areas.  Up to a year ago a michigan state trooper couldn't enter a tribal reservation to arrest a suspect without a tribal officer present or a national officer such as the FBI present to effect the arrest and hand over custody.
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

Reciprocity extends far beyond only drivers licenses ...

How far reciprocity extends is up to each individual state.  At this writing, only driver license reciprocity is universally recognized, insurance reciprocity is widely recognized, and vehicular equipment reciprocity is hit and miss -- mostly NOT recognized.

Many states take an "I will if you will" view of many kinds of reciprocity.  For example, my current home state of Washington is happy to recognize CCW permits from any state that also recognizes Washington CCW permits.

... Possibly in california there is nothing recognizing jurisdiction but it certainly does apply in michigan,

Not possibly, Dan, fact.  California does not have limitations on jurisdiction; a peace officer is a peace officer, period, and has all powers of all peace officers anywhere in the state.  California also recognizes sworn officers from neighboring states (Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona) within a certain distance of their state lines, to facilitate interstate pursuits.

My current home state of Washington, however, does impose jurisdictional limitations.  For example, tribal officers generally have no jurisdiction outside of their reservations except in regards to tribe members, unless they are also deputized or sworn by another agency.

I am well aware of Michigan's jurisdictional limitations.

Note that my last post did specifically state I was talking about California.  Visitors, new residents, and even some long-time Californians are often taken by surprise when they get pulled over on the freeway by a tribal officer, cited in town by a park ranger, or arrested in Beverly Hills by a Los Angeles cop.  As long as we were talking about states with restrictive vehicle laws (and California is pretty restrictive), I thought I would pass that little tidbit along to the bus community.

-Sean
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:35:42 PM by Sean » Logged

cody

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

amazing, absolutely amazing and I'll leave it at that
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »

amazing, absolutely amazing and I'll leave it at that

oh go on Cody and let er rip Smiley

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
cody

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2010, 05:35:58 PM »

No need, everyone here knows I'm retired from state law enforcement lol.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »

Well, this thread wondered quite far...

Let's all take 5.

Tempory lock down
Sorry
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: