Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 12:34:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to acutally build my beast?  (Read 1293 times)
BucketList

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »

Well... after driving a couple or three, and MANY hours of research, we have decided on a Silver Eagle, Model 20. (I wanted a "Big Foot", but hard to find and expensive.) Now, due to the source of funding for this big adventure (or FOLLY meebee?), coming later than expected, summer in Florida is now upon us. As anyone who has been here knows, it is TOO hot and sticky to even THINK of building our beast here.
So, we have decided to take said Eagle on the road to the Carolinas, Tennessee, or Virginia and work on it where it will be cooler.
Here is my question of the week... Does anyone know of a campground in those States where we can rent a trailer, fifth wheel or cabin, AND be allowed to play with our new toy for a couple of months?
Any leads or tips will be GREATLY appreciated. Also, if anyone wants to talk me out of this before I write the "big check", I am all ears! ROFL Shocked

They were right! Size DOES matter!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »

You really should ask BK if he might know of a location or two.  I think one of the best places to have your roof raised is down in Fla  That is step number one, me thinks.

There  have been two Iggles on this board that had been stripped, re-framed and re-powered and raised and even widened.  The converter was selling what looked like extremely well done work and a ton of appliances and too much to mention for pennies on the dollar.  Their next step was a floor and insulation sprayed.  They had everything.  That would have been your deal of the year.  Advertise your needs here and other places.  Those Eagles in process might never have been bought.

Good luck,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:22:18 AM »

You may want to get near Elkhart, Indiana.  That is where there are a few RV salvage places.

Also consider where and how you will Tag and Title it.

Also you may look around for warehouse space you can rent.  That way you'll be out of the weather. Smiley

Keep us posted Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:16:17 AM »

Does anyone know of a campground in those States where we can rent a trailer, fifth wheel or cabin, AND be allowed to play with our new toy for a couple of months?

Most campgrounds frown on bus restoration on the premises, I doubt if you will find one that is willing to endure the process.

BCO

muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:33:15 AM »

If I had it to do all over again............first thing I'd find is a shop big enough to house the bus and room to work in!   Converting outside I figure cost me at least two years time, allowing for rain, snow, and the cold working in the heat would be a blessing after that......!   Florida sounds ideal!   Just find a building that allows you room to work and "live"!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »

Given that it's going to be 90 degrees up here in Dundas, Ontario, Canada today - the 24 of May, also known as Canada Day, Queen Victoria's Birthday for those of us over 50, and the great May 2-4 weekend (we kids call a case of beer a 2-4 up here), I shudder to think what it's going to be like when summer gets here.  The long term forecast I heard today was possibly a record number of high heat days this summer.  Since we are about 1500 miles due north of you, Tennessee or the Carolina's may not get you very much relief.  I'd be looking around Sudbury, or Manitoulin Island, or maybe the UP of Michigan - you could visit Cody!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »

Given that it's going to be 90 degrees up here in Dundas, Ontario, Canada today

I got snowed on yesterday in Reno, Nevada!  But then, isn't Al Gore closer to you than he is to me?  He seems to be the primary source of hot air . . .

As far as where to do the conversion, call around to find a storage yard that handles large vehicles and boats, and will let you do the work there.  There will certainly be places to stay nearby.

Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »

I am between Nashville & Knoxville and it looks like it's gonna either be a HOT or WET summer. That working outside trying to do a bus is the pits. A Big covered area like a barn or building would be best mainly due to weather.

You will also need to be near to the sources for your metals, parts and all the little stuff that will have you on the road chasing it down for days.

I have the camping space, power and basic stuff here and we don't care about stuff being apart. However we don't have any rental trailers or things like that.
It's all out in the open. Suppliers are mostly in Nashville or Chattanooga which is a days run out and back. Some stuff like metals are available locally but not at
big city prices. Places like Indiana are also in a day trip drive as well as Kentucky.

Good Luck on your project.

Dave...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »

Purchase a piece of land with a pole building on it or have one built.  Sell it when done or keep it for a home base.  The pole build may cost 30K but you get that back someday, sooner or later.  Insulate the pole thingy like a friend back in Pa did and you can live in it summer or winter.  He did 6X6 walls and used foam block of that dimension for thew walls and covered with plastic siding. The ceiling was a few feet of fiberglass.  Was chilly in there in the 100 degree summer till you had the door open a few min.  I guess the concrete floor was the heat sync. but whatever the explanation it sure worked.

Don't rent if you can buy and then sell.  $300/mt is reasonable rent most anywhere and $300 will service a $45K loan and the interest is deductable.  Don't hold me to the finer points.  You don't have to get very far out for the value of land to drop unless you are in Ca.

I hope to do exactly that for a place to stay when in Orygun for my summers.  I surely do want to full time but  need a patch of earth and a roof over the Pre some of the time.

John ruminating

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

It's usually better to build equity than pay rent.

John has a good point, find a piece of dirt & put up an appropriate building - you will be miles ahead in the long run!  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »

Sometimes I forget how fortunate I am. Thanks for reminding me.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: