Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:39:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum holding tank  (Read 2999 times)
scotty_vince

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2010, 10:27:31 AM »

Is there any reason why I shouldn't or couldn't use an aluminum tank for my black and grey holding tank?
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:26 AM »

When I redo my black, fresh tanks that is what I am switching too.  I would like to know the answer to your question as well.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
eddiepotts

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »

Mine are aluminum. The only thing I would think about is what cleaning products you would put in them from cleaning. Stay away from caustics.
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:03:40 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 07:33:49 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

I have a 90 gal gray/black tank made of 1/8" aluminum, no issues so far.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Is there any reason why I shouldn't or couldn't use an aluminum tank for my black and grey holding tank?

Do you barf a lot?  You wouldn't BELIEVE how fast stomach acid can burn through aluminum!

If you don't let acids and caustics sit for weeks, you will be okay.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »

What Dallas said is true! I have been using my aluminum fuel tank converted to a black/grey combo tank for the last 5 years with no problems. It's kind of coincidental that this thread came up because I'm about ready to pull my tank back out and do some work to it. I am going to cut a large hole in the end cap and install a sprayer of some kind inside the tank which will be plumbed to a hose fitting where I can attach a water hose for spraying and cleaning out the inside of the tank after dumping! I was thinking about the possibility of using one of those twirly bird type lawn sprinklers mounted upside down from the top of the tank. You know just something to circulate the clean water to wash down the walls of the tank! It doesn't have to be high pressure!
Think I will use it this coming weekend and concentrate more about that when I get back!

Bottom line is, I haven't had the issues some people thought I would after 4 or 5 years and it actually has stayed in the bay and hasn't killed anyone on the interstate YET! Smiley

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »

I am going to cut a large hole in the end cap and install a sprayer of some kind inside the tank which will be plumbed to a hose fitting where I can attach a water hose for spraying and cleaning out the inside of the tank after dumping!

WHY?

I've been using RVs for well over 20 years now.  At one point I bought one of those rinse wands that you are supposed to stick down the crapper.  I think I might have used it once.  It's a sh** tank!  Who cares how clean the inside of it is after you dump?  Its still going to be a sh** tank, no matter how clean you rinse it. 

We try to dump the black tank after a move so that everything is thoroughly sloshed around but I simply don't sweat it.  Did I mention --- its a sh** tank.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »

My fresh, black, and grey tanks are aluminum. I built them from 1/8 sheet in 2003 with no problems yet. (Knock on wood)
Charles

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 06:12:36 PM »

Bob I know what it holds but being aluminum rather than the usual poly and thinking back about all the flack I caught because it was aluminum especially the way I mounted it made me think that I might not be getting it fully dumped when I DO dump it! Remember I have a ROUND fuel tank from a semi truck and although I have it on a slight slant, sometimes I think it may not be completely empty! Don't ask me why1 I just have a feeling because some times  it fill quickly and other times it takes forever!
I try to dump before we leave any site so we travel back home empty! When we dump we run clean fresh water thru it from up above but I would feel better if I got the walls wet where it would rinse down and out!

I may even weld a bottom to it when I have it out JUST IN CASE. I mean it has been 4-5 years so anything could happen!

Just doing some thinking!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »

Aluminum holding tanks and fuel tanks probably got a bad rap from the marine world. sitting in a salty damp bilge the seams/welds would get pin holes from electrolisis. Aluminum is a little harder to weld, it has to be really clean but should make fine tanks as you hear from experience.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »

I try to dump before we leave any site so we travel back home empty! When we dump we run clean fresh water thru it from up above but I would feel better if I got the walls wet where it would rinse down and out!

I'm just fundamentally lazy Ace.  If it was me I'd make sure I had moved around a bit every time before I dumped and use the time I saved (by not installing the flush system) to go to Walmart for some entertainment.  But fortunately we all do things differently - this would be a pretty boring world if we didn't.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32:31 PM »

Bob,

So are you referring to a sh** tank?  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Bryan
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 12:47:06 AM »

Ace neglected to tell you his Al tank is mounted right above his remote genset radiator fan - He did it this way so if the tank does fail he will know immediately - when the s*** hits the fan - We had a seminar on the installation one year in Arcadia - Seems no one kept notes -  But I still remember  Grin

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »

As my parents did before I bought it from them, I leave a little in my tanks as 'starter bacteria' for the next batch - No problems with clogs or odors for the last 15+ years with this camper.

Ace, you use more water than I do, so I'd expect your tank to be in good shape with minimal residue stuck to the sides.

We had a problem with our black tank sometimes filling faster than we anticipated - turned out to be a leaking toilet valve allowing fresh water to enter the tank - closed that valve & the mystery was solved.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: