Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:03:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: what does your extended family think of your bus?  (Read 3027 times)
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

The reason I ask is that recently some of my siblings and in-laws etc who I had little contact with until recently became aware of my owning a bus. The responses have been pretty much all over the map. Some shake their head with the reaffirmed knowledge that I am indeed crazy. One or two have asked me what made me choose such a project though they say little else ( I tend to put these people in with the first group) and a couple have expressed interest and thought it was really cool and ask questions, good ones too.
My older sister wasn't surprised and said that it follows my history of tinkering since I was a kid. My brother wants one and is hoping I'll kick the bucket so he can inherit mine. One brother in law is further convinced that I'm a nut case.

So my question is, what have your extended family outside of spouses and offspring thought or said about your bus? Do they like it and want to go somewhere with you ( have you taken them anywhere?) or are you a tad off center in their view?  Maybe a little of both?

-Dave

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »

Yep Wink

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »

I stopped caring what the extended family thought about the bus........20 years ago and I've only had it for 5 years!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:12:00 AM »

Most people I tell are completely nonplussed, or at least perplexed and not sure if they heard correctly. There are exceptions though - I met a very pretty girl quite recently, and in the course of trying to chat her up I mentioned the bus. A mistake you might think - but no, she immediately said "Wow, cool, I can't wait to see that!".

Result, I thought.

As for my family...nothing surprises them anymore. When my parents first saw the bus my Dad tried hard to appear aloof and uninterested, whereas my Mum (surprisingly perhaps) was really into it and wanted to know all the details, and started to plan out the interior for me. The first time I used it for a trip (tin-tenting) they came down in the car one day (probably a 400 mile round trip) to see how I was getting on. Now it's been off the road for a couple of years whilst I slowly work on the conversion, and I doubt either of them really believe that it will ever move under it's own power again - but they did quite recently mention the idea of them hiring a motorhome for a driving holiday in Scotland - so I told them to wait until the bus was finished and do the trip in style.

My sister knows I have a bus but the concept just doesn't show up on her radar - she's never seen my house, never mind my bus. Which is a shame as I'm sure her kids would love it.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:56:38 AM »

Most of my extended family already thought I was crazy long before I bought a bus. As far as I know, they still hold that, and a lot of other erroneous opinions.

We have 13 grand kids and they all love the bus & us. I haven't figured out which one they love the most, though...    Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:16:19 AM »

We moved to Florida many years ago (long before our first coach) leaving all our family in Illinois. So we had minimal contact with them. Many of our family camp, so they thought it was neat. The rest were pretty much just indifferent until they saw it. Then they were amazed at what we had done.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:18:00 AM »

The only reaction I have gotten that wasn't on the positive side came from someone with a 5th wheel sticks and staples rig. Actually I sensed a little jealousy.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
cody

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:25:21 AM »

Mine really don't care what I drive, my older brother has a 2006 marathon conversion, my younger brother has a 2004 marathon so they all know buses, only insanity they see is why do it yoursself when you can tell the engineers what you want and sit back and relax while exactly what you want is being built.
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:30:59 AM »

My wife likes at least the idea of traveling the country when the bus is finished. But until I get further along and start on the interior, she shows no interest and would of settled for something smaller. She's the type of person that cannot imagine the finished product. For now she's patient and I know she will really enjoy it when nearing completion. Maybe someone can pipe in on how to get her more interested in it during the construction phase.

My kids, 19, 25 and 28 think its cool and can't wait till its finished. Some people, although they don't say it give me the preception that its probally a waste of time and money. Others just respond with "that's nice". Have some close friends that hound me to get it finished so we can all take some trips. Only thing in common with all our friends and family is me converting a bus does not surprise anyone. I can't sit still.
Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 05:33:59 AM »

Like the comebacks Grin much of the same responses....I play the game with the sticks and staples bunch but when something breaks on theirs they come and ask for help and even in a bad storm come and stay with us  Roll Eyes Have converted several to bus owners or wannabees...Kids and grand kids luv it  Paw Pas  Chucho (2 yr old Cash Carter)...so just smile and know your happy...Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:27 AM »

Most of our family thinks it pretty cool! The other comments I tend to ignore! Grin

I mean who cares what they think, it's like the Ford and Chevy thing, only ours is much bigger! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
NoRivets

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 05:49:26 AM »

I've had mine for 13 yrs and finally completed.   Now the comments at family events are:

Still got that bus?
Wow, that's a big project. ( eyes glazing over )
What kinda 'gas' mileage do you get? ( while looking away for another conversation to join ).
Are you taking the 'trailer'? ( when talking with mother-in-law about a trip thats' planned ).

99% of them are completely 'not interested'.  The 1% are just being polite  Grin

AZ
1980- RTS - 8v71N w/N-65 A-timed/ 4:10 gears
towing a Jeep Wrangler.  99.9% completed (15th Yr)
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:08:39 AM »

Just a list;
1. Older brother currently has 5 buses, two are motorhomes.
2. I have three currently, although 1 is going to new owner soon.
3. Younger brother wants one, but is using ours(and helps with repairs) until he gets one.
4. Wife loves the interior painting, remodeling, and second seat navigator.
5. Father in law thinks I'm crazy, after all I married his daughter.
6. Mother in law thinks 1 is all we need(they are sooo big)
I don't give a dam what they think. I wanted, I bought , and they are mine!!!

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 06:27:29 AM »

My family thinks it's cool.  They are jealous.  It helps that my wife and I have a reputation for competence in our family, and so whatever we decide to do is usually thought of as the right thing to do.  Lord only knows how that happened...   Roll Eyes

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 06:29:05 AM »

My family know I have a bus but only my son has seen it.
My son and I are the only ones that live here in the Memphis area.

My son was with me when we first looked at buying it. He said it was hot and smelled old. That was several years ago but now my son likes the bus and shows it off to his friends. (He also shows them my 65 GTO) He is 17 and it has been "cool" for him to hang out with the band at gigs and on the bus....

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 06:34:23 AM »

I care very much what the extended family thinks as long as it is positive! Grin  Otherwise not so much!

The only person I am really concerned with is the BOSS, or anyone else helping financially with the project (no one!)

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »

I thought I was the only one !!

My mother thought that it was a foolish idea (and told all her friends and family), BUT now that they are beginning to see what I saw when I first saw my first bus, and after building a few of them (carry cash to get home if someone buys it from you in an RV park), they are thinking that maybe ??

Being able to carry groups of friends, and enjoy the ride together, or being able to take disabled people comfortably (my first bus was built for a quad), now I am living my dream as I work on my latest project.

But yes, I thought everyone thought I was out of my mind, so I never talked about it, just "hid it" next to my house.

Now I can come out ?? (and play!)

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
john9861

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »

I only pay attention to the ones who are willing to make a monetary or sweat equity investment in any of my projects thus I find myself alone in all of these endeavors. It has been interesting to see the reaction from some as they see the coach begin to take shape.

John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

To show where I'm coming from-when I was around 6 or 7 years old, I remember looking at the Postman Cushman 3 wheeler with about a 5ft square box on the back and saying to the postman what a nice little camper that would make.  Then in Junior high (middle school now) and high school, I drew dozens of motohome floor plans of various sizes just for fun.  So basically, none of my close friends or family have been surprised at me converting a bus.  Most are very curious to see my truck conversion when it's done, since they were surprised at the build quality of my bus conversion (I compare it to a mountain cabin).  I'm a mechanical nut the just likes big mechanical anything.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:09 AM »

My family and friends are all over the board! Some people think Im nuts, some are not in the least bit interested, and some are very very jealous and wanting to help me work on it and want to do one themselves.

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Greg Roberts

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »

Extended family think it is amazing and cool and some have enjoyed trips across the US in the bus. Generally their eyes sort of glaze over at the size of the project and they are amazed at the features and so forth.

Back in 1995 I made a huge miss step by marrying a woman that had no faith in men and, for example, only believed in brick and mortar shops for cars and had to have a new car every 2-3 years because the old one surely could not be fixed. So when I expressed my desire to do a bus conversion she was completely non-supportive and certainly had no faith in my abilities. Of course I soon learned that she and I were not even close to being compatible and I also learned that she was not accepting of my handicapped (cerebral palsy and mental retardation) son. Who would have thought a school teacher would turn out this way. Between that and the bus, I had to pay my way out of that mistake with a down payment on a new house across town. Needless to say,  soon after I went and bough the Eagle 20 and went to work. Life can sure be er.... interesting sometimes. So everyone in my life likes my bus now. He he.

Check out my Eagle 20 here: http://photobucket.com/GregRobertsEagle20
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:08 AM »

Funny comment my wife and daughter made to me the other day. They frequent "Facebook" and I raze them about it. So now when I'm on the Bus Bulletin boards they ask me how's "Busbook".

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
Madmike

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »

Great Question! I will start from the top but there is a running theem

Wife- Hated the idea, argured with me every time i brought it up. Brought it home and she loves it. Even helped to work on her. Complains about every dime though.
Brother- Loves it! Flew up to help me drive it back, helped me work on it and is welcome to borrow it any time he wants.
Mother- Can not phatom why any one would want one, she is don't ask don't tell but the vibe is you can't afford it.
Father-does not bring it up, but i owe him money so it will be fun when he see's it. He is understanding though.
Step Mom-What are they thinking? Waste of money they don't have.
Step Dad- Has no use, will only cost money.
Father In-Law- Gave me the bus, paid to have it tuned up, wished that I take my little boys on adventures that will last a life time. His only regret, is not being younger so that he could do the same. He has wished me well and even followed me for the first 100 miles to make sure I was ok with it. (this is a person that has moved to the top of my list when i think of the bus and life with it)
Mother in law- thinks the same way as her husband!
What is wrong with my side of the family???

You can have this bus when you pry her from my cold dead fingers.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:59 AM »

Great Question! I will start from the top but there is a running theem

What is wrong with my side of the family???

Maybe you owe them money or something?     Grin   That was starting eat in our family, I talked my Dad into just giving my sister whatever he was going to loan her as she never paid anything back anyway.  I am the executor of the estate, it's coming off the top when I hand out cheques when Dad is gone, till then everything is cool...

Sounds like the in-laws are a bonus!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 12:53:36 PM »

Most of my camping friends think we are rich (ha) but they don't realize they have more in their Dually than we have in our bus...not to mention the ones with sticks and staples or as a Canadian friend called them   Le Toilet's  I really like this post Cheesy Wink

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »

Perhaps we should also have the companion thread: 'What do your neighbours think of your bus?'....

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »

parents thought it was cool when i brought it home, and really liked it when i offered to chauffer them and my 90yo aunt to a family reunion.  gave them lots of time to catch up, and more comfort than a car.  My brother put in 50A and widened his driveway, my other brother left the swamp around his narrow driveway, and my sister now thinks i'm rich and won't give me free haircuts anymore.  My grandson thinks it's cool (we're babysitting him this weekend-3yo), and my son offered his driveway to park in, but i don't think we'll fit.  i think they all still think we are crazy though.  Grin

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:26 PM »

That is funny...Most of the family is fine with it. The rest have the "glazed eyes" "Wow" look...lol.

It is even more funny talking with others. We will pull into places, get out and start picking people's jaws up off of the ground, and closing them Grin ROFL.

Comments that we hear (after they told us we could get into somewhere).

"I had NO IDEA that it was THAT big...I was picturing a school bus."

"Wow, that thing is huge. How many of you drive that thing?" Our response..."One at a time (two in heavy traffic, one to work the pedals, the other to steer)"  Grin Cheesy Grin

"That thing is huge...So is it gas or diesel?"

I could go on, but those are some of the more funny common ones. We love our bus, though!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »

Basically my extended family already knew I was a lunatic, so the bus came as little surprize to them.

It was very funny that when I announced to everyone that I was buying a bus conversion on the other side of the country, my brother and father both had the same reaction:  "You are crazy, you have lost your mind, when are WE going to go pick it up."   Both insisted on accompanying me on this adventure, and we had a fantastic time. My brother remains the only other person I trust behind the wheel (not even my wife).

My wife does not hesitate to announce to everyone that it is the best purchase our family has ever made. ... right before she launches into a listing of all the places we have been, made possible by having the bus.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: