Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 04:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your opinion?  (Read 1545 times)
Ace

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2010, 02:25:12 PM »

Here's something that came up in conversation after discussing the thread about windows with slide openings and screens!

What is your opinion of installing a sunroof possibly in the bedroom and maybe even up front over driver and co-pilot?

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

A must have so far as I am concerned, nothing worse than a dark cave. Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »

Hi Ace,

I wouldn't want a sunroof over the front of my bus..I'm happier with the 5" of foam between  me and the heat of the sun. Takes me back to my days of flying low wing aircraft.  No thanks. My poor  brain has been fried enough.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 02:33:53 PM »

The old Scenicruisers had three on the upper desk and one on the lower.  Only problem is most were painted over to keep the heat down.
Aaron
PD-4501 #372 & #997

Aaron
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »

I wasn't thinking of having the glass plain but very dark tinted to keep the sun rays OUT! I was thinking more on the lines of air flow!

Some coaches like mine are built around being air tight. I mean even the front bumper has a seal on it to keep air out while moving and wondered how a sun roof being slightly open on the back side would affect it!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »

A Plaxton Elite:

Nice feeling of space but must make the air con work hard

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:36 PM »

Ace,I have 2 Taylor "hatches sunroofs" made for the marine world and love them you can open for air they don't leak, let light in and they are tinted for heat works for me.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:36 PM »

Why settle for just a window?

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:34:46 PM »

Ace,

I have a marine deck hatch in the rear over the bed.

It has two dogs to keep it shut and lets filtered light in.

Also has a stainless stay to keep it open.

The marine units can be pricey, but the quality is second to none.

One up front would also be nice for ventilation.

I also have two of the the original three skylights, I tinted them as they heat is terrible in the summer.

Cliff
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:58:06 PM by FloridaCliff » Logged

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »

Jeremy somebody stuck the steering wheel on the wrong side of that bus lol. I worked on a bus interior at BK's place the MCI has 2 huge sunroofs in it, one in front one in the back, very hard to seal from leaks, and picks up heat quickly, I'm not sure I would like them tho they are pretty to look out of, those ones are probably 3ft square or more, pretty big.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »

Clifford, Where do you have them installed? Any pictures for the uniformed you would be willing to share?

Ace, If you get the dark tint, you may want to go with mirror for a more severe reflection of the sun. Otherwise they might look pretty cool. What size are you looking to do?

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 05:18:25 PM »

Paul the bedroom and the bathroom I can email you a photo as many times as you been in my bus and never noticed how light it was inside they been there for years.
I saw a BlueBird a fairly new one that had the solar tubes for lighting it was neat  

good luck
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 05:34:15 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

I just don't make a habit of looking up when I'm in your Eagle! Roll Eyes I guess I just didn't pay attention. When you come to TBR 2010, I'll make it a point to check them out! Hee Hee

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:37:19 PM »

Ace, we have one centrally located in the kitchen for letting out smokey fumes, LOL and one in the bathroom over the shower for letting out 'Hot air' (let's let it go at that) Wink I treated the roof a little over 3 years ago and ran the white stuff over the exposed rubber gaskets for the skylights. We haven't had any problems with them leaking, only condensation after showering or serious cooking (boiling water) Grin Both are tinted and both are generally open when we're parked unless there is a typhoon blowing. We love them, but can imagine even tinted they would allow a lot of heat in if we were down south. HTH Will

usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »

We have two "skylights" beside the standard 14" square vents.  One skylight over the kitchen sink and one over the bathroom sink.  They are constructed of 5" diameter PVC that runs through my 5" thick roof.  On the top is 1/4" lexan plastic and the inside is trimmed with a ceiling-light trim-ring. 

You would be amazed at the amount of light that comes in through that small of a diameter!  This is the same principle of the tube skylights that are in houses.  We have one of those at home in our dressing-room and it makes a huge difference (no outside windows). 

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: