Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 01:45:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Q. expensive washer re. Drop box third member removal success  (Read 1368 times)
Timnvt

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »

Finally got the whole business removed from the wrecked donor bus.  The book says to remove the drop box first, then remove the pinion ring gear third member.  I took it out as one unit but I had to remove the air distribution apparatus mounted on the forward wall.  No blood or skinned knuckles.  Had the bus wheels 18 inches up on blocks.  Strapped the unit onto a steel plate strapped to 10 foot long tractor fork extensions supported with blocking.  After extracting the gears from the differential housing, we lowered it to the ground and managed to remove it from under the bus straight out the back squeaking it out under the engine.

Next project, pull the engine.  Won't be needing it in THIS bus anymore.

Thanks for all your help folks.  All the ideas and information YOU provide mades it possible to continue in this madness.  Smiley

Now to transport this hunk of gears to Charleston!

Tim

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:46:25 AM by Timnvt » Logged

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
neverlearn

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »

Good Job!
Advice presented to me which I will repeat here includes the recommendation to replace the bearings in the drop box and that overpriced washer ($55) on the input shaft - considering the amount of work involved to get to this point, it is easier to do now than later.  If you prefer to outsource the internal work there is a company called Transaxle which can confidently perform the work. 

Anything worth doing, is worth OVERdoing.
1984 MC-9: Went from Passenger service to my driveway where it stores the components for its upcoming transformation.
6V92 HT740
Palmyra, VA
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 05:00:56 AM »

That's awesome Tim!

Now if Greyhound still shipped, Undecided

Or you could check it if your flying Cheesy

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Timnvt

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

What's the overpriced washer? I do have some movement in the input shaft.  Probably should have those bearings replaced.  But what is the washer you recommend changing?

'66 MCI5 6v92 w/HT-740
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »

So, what are you doing with the rest of that bus?

I'd sure like to get my hands on those side docking lights  Wink

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
neverlearn

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

I was told that the washer is under the yoke, and that it is available at Jefferson's:
"Jefferson's# is I Believe is 405-272-0213 and if I remember its Ed that does MCI"

Anything worth doing, is worth OVERdoing.
1984 MC-9: Went from Passenger service to my driveway where it stores the components for its upcoming transformation.
6V92 HT740
Palmyra, VA
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »

Greyhound DOES still ship!
I bought an old chair off ebay last year, too big for USPS, UPS and Fed-Ex, had it shipped Greyhound, worked out really well!  Now I do not know if there is a weight limit on what they will ship.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

Tim, The washer will be under the input flange, before the bearing. Once you have the input out you should check the idler for play also.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: