Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 22, 2017, 05:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics  (Read 1687 times)
cody

« on: June 03, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »

I've got a couple of boxes of graphics that I got from trina in elkhart, they are from all kinds of S&S units, I've got mount rushmore and a bunch of squiggles and swirls, I've never played with graphics before but I did see where some are marked right and left, however, their not marked top and bottom but I really don't figure that matters much cause a squiggle is probably a squiggle nomatter where it is, my question for the graphics wizards is on application, I've cleaned the bus to within an inch of my life, now I see some have protective backing and protective overlays on the front where others only have the single layer, the single layer of protection I can figure out lol, I'm assuming lots of soapy water and a sponge with a squeege is the proper tools?  My plan is to tape the graphic to the side of the bus or the back and step back and look, then leave tape in place to mark location while I soap up the side and start to roll out the squiggle, any tips or shrieks of horror will be greatly appreciated, I've got a mixture that will make the old cadillac that johnnie cash sang about sound familier lol.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »

Cody,

Try using a little soap, water & Isopropyl alchohol.
I am feeling lazy today Cody so here is a link that is pretty good on applying.
http://www.signindustry.com/installation/articles/1999-ApplyingVinylDreams.php3

Can you believe there is also a forum for vinyl graphic guys? What is the world coming to, lol! Here is a link for a solution that a guy uses. I have not used it but seems to be a pretty good mixture.
 http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,2720.0.html

HTH,
Bryan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:55:04 PM by bryanhes » Logged
paulcjhastings

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:46:52 PM »

Some dish soaps leave a film under the vinyl, it seems to be the heavy grease cutting ones(must be the surfactants that they use in these) DO NOT put too much soap in your application fluid, just enough so that you can position the graphic.

Also a bondo spreader is not a good squeegee for applying vinyl films, a proper squeegee is much stiffer see pic.

Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »

Also a bondo spreader is not a good squeegee for applying vinyl films, a proper squeegee is much stiffer see pic.

This is the tool that is used to apply the aluminum tape used on fiberglass ductboard. Should be able to find one at an HVAC supply place.  (that's wear I found mine)  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »

The application fluid is called "frog juice",  its made especially for applying vinyl graphics!  Cody, the slick paper on the back peels off, find a nice cool shady place to do this if the graphic is large,  sit up a table by the bus........peel the backing off..........take your frog juice and really soak the back of the graphic,  then again apply the frog juice to the area that you are going to apply it to, take your graphic and lay it on the final area where you want it!   Take the squeegie starting in the middle and work your way out to all outside area's moving the bubbles out!  It takes awhile to get the hang of it, if you have rivets in the graphic they make a small rivet brush you just work it around the rivet head, you can use heat but you have to be very careful not to damage the vinyl!  After all of the bubbles are gone and the vinyl is adhering to the surface start removing the application tape its either one piece or several strips, take your time if the vinyl starts to pull just rub that spot and usually the heat from your hand will help it stick to the surface, just keep removing the tape until its gone!  If I can do it..........it has to be easy!  I've lettered, hundreds of race cars and fire engines its a neat how this stuff works.  It's all computer generated now........ Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 04:29:24 PM by muddog16 » Logged

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »

Please don't turn your Eagle into a Winnebago. Shocked

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:18:23 PM »

Cody,

If the next time I see you, your Eagle has a bunch of curly swirlies and says "Cougar Mountain Shasta Beaver Highlander" on the side.

Your going to have to park one space down.................. Wink   Smiley

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »

I was kinda thinking of something simple and tasteful like a pair of glasses with spinner inserts that would spin in opposite directions as it went by but libby said nope, so now I'm thinking of a big windup key but I don't think she'll let me do that either, I really don't know what was in the boxes, just got a pile of stuff to go thru. I do appreciate the guidance and thoughts tho, it really helps.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 04:51:19 AM »

so now I'm thinking of a big windup key but I don't think she'll let me do that either

Years ago, I saw a bus that the owner had installed the old MCI dash handle used to close the door in the rear bumper.  He told people that was his hand crank to start the engine.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: