Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 11:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: May sell my MC7 & buy a Bluebird Wanderlodge, does that make me a deserter?  (Read 8386 times)
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »

After full timing in our MC7 for 2 years we are thinking about a Bluebird Wanderlodge. I know I'm still a nut but does a Wanderlodge still qualify as a bus?  Grin Grin

Secondly, other than the standard stuff, is there anything in particular I should inspect/ examine on an '82 PT40?

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Wanderlodges are buses, and there is a lot to be said for them.  They are not merely converted schoolies.  The company did a good job on them.  They are well built, generally have quality motorhome amenities, and there is a lot of support available online.  I like that they have propane which is something that is often missing from factory conversions like Prevosts.  They are not monocoque, so they are hefty, but there is therefore less chance someone will pretzel your rig while jacking or towing it.  I assume that a PT40 of that year will have either an 8 or 6v92.  It will also have all the same air systems that other buses have, so your future problems will be right at home here.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

I've always thought they would make a great coach, look good and are very well built. Lots of them on the road. Check out this

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/index.php

Have fun!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:01:18 AM »

Wanderlodges are what got me interested in buses in the first place!  Iconic styling and very much a converted bus, just at a factory.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »

Hello:    Wanderlodges are what interested me in the beginning but I was never able to afford one.  I loved the dash that looked like a 727 cockpit.   However I have had occasion to work on a few as an electrician  and the wiring and wiring runs are a bit messy. THey usually just have a bunch of wiring hanging. Look in the rear closet behind the drawers to see what I mean. THe terminal strips are done well but the wiring diagrams are lousy.   AT the time I worked on several coaches the factory had a couple of techs that were really knowledgeable about the wiring and could normally answer questions  over the phone..   now the factory is deserted and where are the techs and the info??
     The wanderlodge 40 foot unit is pretty heavy so I would expect fuel  mileage to be about 5  or below.   maybe a bit more with a 60 series.
     The smaller older units with the cat 3208FC  are nice if you can find one that is not wore out. 
       Still very nice equipment.
    Just thought of another story ..One of my electrician bus buddies was traveling with a friend who just purchased a used wanderlodge . THey stopped at a rest area and the wanderlodge would not start.  My buddy who was a crackerjack electrician spent a few hours and found that one of the many switches on the dash was shut off by accident and prevented restart..Like I said the terminal strips in the front of the coach behind the breastplate are impressive...
     One of the mci 7 selling points was the simple easy to operate controls and dash layout.
      My 72 mci 7 has been handcrafted by my wife and myself from the bottom up and is still the pride of our fleet...
    FWIW    regards and happy bussin   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »

The down side is the front engine, in my opion. I to looked at buying one. Or are you looking at a rear engine?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »

Tom, the FC model is a forward engine,PT model is a pusher and the WB is a 102 wide with pusher,I like BlueBird it is a good unit and everything is off the self for parts.Like you I don't like the FC you can't even hear the radios in that model

good luck
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:09:43 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

DOES THIS MAKE ME A TRAITOR?   Not so much that as a subversive.  I'll check with Nusa and get back to you. Shocked Roll Eyes Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cool

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 04:53:42 AM »

TOMY, what Clifford said. It is a rear engine just like my MCI.

Luke, The electrical setup doesn't bother me as much as the fuel mileage. 5 MPG! WOW! Didn't know that! This one has the 6V92T with an Allison 4 speed. I was hoping for better mileage, not worse. Both engine & tranny are recently overhauled (mileage wise, they did the overhaul & the husband passed soon after)  & they do have the documentation. You think 5MPG really???!!!

JohnEd, at least I know my class...    Tongue  I have been called worse!   Grin Grin

I guess the next question would be, what can I get for my MC7?

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »

sounds like you made up your mind...follow your heart;get it out of your system....then come back to a bus...really  Grin can't think of any thing negative of Bluebird..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:34:27 AM »

FWIW I know George Lowry bought a Wanderlodge after his GMC and it about drove him nuts.  I think he has a Monaco now.  But that's just one person and one unit.  I love the looks of a Bluebird dash and we looked at a couple before we bought the frenchy-bus.  What appealed to me about them was that they were built from the ground up as an RV and as a bus.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »

Tom,

Check with some of the Wanderlodge boards about the fuel mileage.  I doubt there will be an significant difference.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:12:14 AM »

Hello;  The bus that I was referring to had an 8V92T and the driver was a hot rod. He did not care .  The 6V92 is a more fuel efficient engine but it really comes down to how much weight you are pushing and how fast you travel.   I do not know what your mileage is with your 7. but with mine with the 318 I was between 5 & 6 but during most of that time my travels were interstate and having to get home and hauling a 24 foot trailer.
    I believe Jack is getting better mileage than I did with the same engine so how you drive matters.    Now I haul the saturn and with the Cummins I am usually average 7.4.  However I am not in a hurry usually; and I dont drive as many miles in one day as before.   
    If it makes you feel good go for it. 
      ANd I never answered your original query which was does it make you a deserter.  TO me it does not matter whatever you do you will always have the knowledge you gained and the friendship.   
     FWIW    happy bussin   mike   

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »

My only concern with Bluebird is that like many of the commercial conversions out there, they are very heavy.  I looked at some of the numbers on them and they had less carrying capacity than some class C's.  That was why I got into buses in the first place so as not to be running at max capacity all the time.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »

We bought a Prevost and are abandoning the conversion process and selling our 4107 conversion. . .and not one person called me a traitor. . .  to my face that is Cheesy, ha ha.  I think you're safe! 
Christy Hicks

Oh gosh, do I really have to list them all?Huh. . .ok, ok

1991 Beaver Prevost Le Mirage XL Limited Edition
1966 GMC4107 Sundance Conversion (for sale)
1986 MCI-9 shell, stripped, a/c installed, floors and walls insulated and windows skinned (for sale)
1978 MCI-8 shell, stripped inside, ready to convert (for sale)
1997 Jamboree 22 1/2' Sport, (not for sale)

see. . it's EMBARRASSING Embarrassed

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: