Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: towing/baseplates/brackets  (Read 1655 times)
bergdoll

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2006, 10:47:26 PM »

hello all, got my bus skinned & a few windows in & am now working on getting my bus on the road...getting new tires this week,
and i have a 2006 PT(manual shift) cruiser i am going to tow.  i am a little concerned on some of these "brackets/baseplates that attatch to the car, as one i've seen the installation instructions on 'require' some cutting/drilling, removal of the whole front grille!?!
anybody out there tow a PT cruiser (2006) & what bracket did/do you use & how difficult to install? i have a blue ox tow bar & hitch on my bus, but since i just got the car & haven't been anywhere in my bus but to the dump, & now the bus & car want to take a trip together...
any info/help/references would be greatly appreciated.
                                     bobbybergdoll@yahoo.com

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:04:35 AM »

Bobby,

Are you sure you can tow a PTC 4 down? 

Reason I ask, is that I was under the impression it could not be, and on the way home last week, I met a fellow in York, NE who converted a skoolie, and tows his PTC (don't know year) on a dolly.

I have installed the Blue Ox base plates on two different Explorers. On both, I had to do significant deconstruction of the grill/bumper area, and drilling of holes was required, but not difficult. On the recent 03 Explorer, it required only two holes, one through each side. The bottom holes were alread there. It also required a sensor in the grill be relocated, which presented no difficulty.

The older 91 Explorer required more mods to the air dam, and more holes, if I recall correctly.

But my experience with Blue Ox is that their equipment will match up pretty well and is pretty easy to install.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:01:31 AM »

You can go to the Blue Ox website and check the installation instructions before you buy it.
http://blueox.com/

Here are the ones for you '06 Cruiser:
http://www.aemfg.com/pdfs/BX1968.pdf

I just installed one on an '06 Honda CR-V and found the instructions very thorough.
I am 99% sure your stick Cruiser can be towed.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
busguy01

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 02:58:32 PM »

I have an 05 PT Convertible, stick shift that I tow with BLUE OX. I use the removeable "horns" that leaves a clean front end when not towing. The installation is TOUGH! You must drill (hole saw) the front facia. Tows like a dream. Don't even think of using towmaster - the base plate looks bigger than the car - even when not being towd. If you are in the area of Pender, NE, they have a free RV park with hook ups you can stay at while they install your base plate. A great way to go.
JimH

Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Port St Lucie, Florida
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:08:53 PM »

After looking at both Blue Ox and Roadmaster, I bought Roadmaster brackets. Roadmaster brackets are much easier to install than a Blue Ox baseplate. I've got a Blue Ox tow bar and use a Roadmaster to Blue Ox adaptor. The adaptor is a bar that ties the two brackets together and has the "fingers" for Blue Ox towbars. About $60.
A Blue Ox baseplate is a big complicated affair....unlike Roadmaster brackets. Roadmaster brackets are usually less expensive than Blue Ox baseplates (fixed brackets are) too....not much less. Removeable brackets are sort of expensive. On a large vehicle, Blue Ox baseplates may be more robust....? On a PT Cruiser, or my 3200 lb Jeep Cherokee...it won't matter.
Both Roadmaster and Blue Ox have "towable" recommendations on their websites.  Easily find out what is towable and what is not.  I don't recall seeing a PT Cruiser towed...however...it may be. 
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »

For dinghy towing try this:

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/

Close to the botom of the page, on the right side,"dinghy towing".

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: