Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:56:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine trouble  (Read 2209 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »

Alright busnuts!!!  My buddy bought a bus. Has a 6v92.  On the trip home the engine was trying to die when stopped at red lights.  He would have to go to nuetral and give it gas to keep it going.  He thought it was a filter so he changed them.  Later he started it and it rolled over once and made a strange whoomf noise.  He hut the key again and it started but with a lot of white smoke.  Still smokes white and it misses at idle.  Leaking from the exhaust twix the engine and the turbo is a black liquid.  Some thought it was fuel and soot.  I asked him the catch a half a baby food jar of the liquid and let it settle over night to see what it is, I have not heard the results yet.  He said the liquid is coming out of the side air holes on the engine block as well.

Give it up fellas what are we looking at here? 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »

I agree sounds like fuel..but how is getting back into air box drains? so is it oil leaking into airbox system thru the blower..?on the 8v92 when I had a miss I traced it to a broken return spring on a exhaust valve.but having more than one valve it just missed a little I fixed and adjusted lash got it to tight and had the black fuel sutt stuff coming out exhaust connection ..I got lash to tight!re adjusted and curred problem..fuel is not injected into the system before the heads..air box has a constant air pressure available to any cyl needing it..so if air box drains are leaking same liquid its before fuel is injected into system...is oil level on stick rising?...fuel passing piston into oil pan. Does it have a turbo and blower also like the 8V92? Just trying to reason thru hope this helps..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »

Bunch of different stuff could be the matter here... white smoke? what does the stuff that is dripping smell like? Ahh I don't know... keep thinking head Gasket(s), and leaking exhaust, I had similar symptoms on my old 692, need more details though.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

Coolant level low or decreasing? Could be a head gasket. Is it running warm or hot? Does the oil look milky on the dipstick?

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »

Definately nit gettin water in the crankcase.  I have nit heard back from him to hear if the fluid leaking was water or fuel or both.  The bus is only running at 145 degrees but he is only idling as he doesn't want to drive it.  I am thniking white smoke is steam and he is dumping water into a cylinder.  I asked if he was losing water and he was goin to check it.  I have not heard back yet. 

I will post the answers when he calls.  But fir now wouldn't white smoke be indicative of water tuning to steam?

www.snakebreaker.com
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »

Walt,
The dying at stoplights sounds to me like low oil pressure from either someone using the wrong oil, or thinned out with fuel.
Lots of other variables there as to what is causing the thin oil, low pressure symptom.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:49:07 PM »

I vote for oil change to a 30 0r 40 weight. Mine got kind of thin and I had black stuff coming out around turbo and would die when coming off fast idle. New strait weight help a lot.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 07:56:27 PM »

Wayne, sounds to me like he blew a injector tip and it went through a valve he is pumping raw fuel in to a cylinder that has no compression and the oil is diluted as BK says.
Could be a turbo but usually they won't miss at idle for his sake I hope it is the turbo

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »

Any news? Huh

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

I just spoke with him on the telephone.  He said he used a infrared thermometer to find the cylinder which was not firing.  He chnaged the injector and adjusted it.  The smoke is less and has changed to a blue tint.  He took the exhaust pipe apart and there was very little fluid in it.  In the suspected cylinder he found what he has confirmed, water.

www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »

BUMMER!

Where have you been Wayne?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »

Hello Johned.  I suspect I am no different than anyone else on here when it comes to running outbid time everyday.  I just for the life if me can't figure out how I got so busy.  I have what is known as gouty arthritis and have been stuck in bed fir 2 days high on pain medication.  My left knee looks like I cut it, stuffed a cantelope under the skin and closed it up.  Dang all to heck I just lost a whole weekend which I could have spent working on the bus wvo system.  Oh well I believe i am still lucky some don't have the ability to gripe so I do beleive I am lucky.  Setting here whining like a little girl. 

www.snakebreaker.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »

I wasn't going to mention that litle girl part. Roll Eyes  Get well soon guy. Cry Sad  Try to post more often when you are high on meds. Huh   

If you think I am loose clean and sober, well, let me tell you.......  I wrote a report to my boss after I had been up for seventy two hours.The project went famously well and I thought I had said that clearly but then after four hours sleep I came out of the bed as though shot and called the office....."in the burn bag, John.....in the burn bag.  Don't worry.  Get some sleep"  Never write down anything when you are in "sleep dep".  For your own sake.

Keep us advised,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 06:33:57 PM »

Johned I know exactly what you mean!   I do wish I could get over to my buds house.  Apparently he has already stripped the inside, installed 2 of the 3 roof airs and the painters are prepping it right now.  I thought I was busy.  He is getting after it.

www.snakebreaker.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: