Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 02:53:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT70  (Read 1061 times)
robert

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2006, 06:56:26 AM »

Hey all,

i am looking to bid on a fire truck on ebay. The Fire Dept says the motor is an 8v71 and the Tranny has a stamp on it that says "HT70"
I am wanting to change my 5 speed spicer to an Auto. I have a model 10 with a 6v92. Will this HT70 work well with a 6v92? Thanks for the help

Thanks, Robert at www.tamihall.com
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:29:47 AM »

They're missing a number.  Should be a HT740 for a 4 speed, or a HT750 for the 5 speed.  Can use it on any engine with the same bell housing.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JerryH

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »

Richard:

Ok, first off.  When you note you've got an HT-70 ... everyone will tell you you're wrong ... you;ve got the wrong number, etc.  You are NOT crazy, you DO have the right number.  When I phoned Allison asking about my "HT-70" with my "8V71" in my "MCI, MC-8" ... they told me I was mistaken and was missing a number.  After my repeated, "No, it's an HT-70." ... It took in an in-person, "Wow, no sh*t ... never saw that before."  I had at least 3 or 4 mechanics from Allison looking at the bus.  One took it for a drive with me in the buddy seat, checking it out.  SO, no ... you got the right number.  Smiley

That said, I would avoid using the HT-70 transmission.  This mid-70's (evidentaly) Custom Coach spec'd transmission was most commonly found in off-road dump trucks, fire engines and the rigs which push the airplanes back from the airport terminals.  Those vehicles aren't so much interested in a smooth shift.

This 6-speed auto is a hard shifting transmission until you learn its nuances ... and is NO longer supported by Allison.  The Allison dealer suggested that "IF" I had transmission problems down to road, to swap it with a HT-740, or try and find a decent HT-70 in a junk yard for parts.  They were kind enough hoever to provide certain important photocoped pages of the manual on it, as I could not find anything elsewhere on it.

The HT-740 is likely more common and user friendly for your application.

Good luck,
Jerry H.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 07:38:52 AM by JerryH » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: