Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 03:21:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transporting a Bus  (Read 3736 times)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:12:57 AM »

No kidding on the 8 bucks a mile Shocked. I am sure there are a few unemployed busnuts here with the experience that could use the extra cash and drive your coach to your destination for a fraction of the commercial outfits, provided that the bus is up to the trip Wink, just another alternative Smiley

I would be interested in that, IF and ONLY IF I knew that the coach were up to the trip with no glitches.

If it's in that good condition, again, the owner can make the trip over a long weekend.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »

Thanks for all the info.  The bus is in good condition, I have had a shop service it, change all the fluids and air cleaner, new starter and compressor, several air leaks fixed, and new tires.  With that we are now going to move the bus ourselves.  I am a bit nervous taking it on such a long run for its main voyage, but from what you all say and having had it checked out by the shop already we might as well make a go at it.

Hope all goes well, it should be a good adventure.

Kevin
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »

Sounds like you've done your prep work, just as we did.  Hope your trip (shorter than ours was) turns out equally uneventful.  

Now, a very strong suggestion -- get yourself road service/tow coverage.  Before our trip, we joined FMCA to get Coach-Net.  Didn't need it on the inaugural trip, but I have needed it since when we had a coolant leak.  It's very cheap peace of mind.  

You might research other threads, Good Sam has coverage (but, apparently deluges you with mail for the rest of your life, and the lives of your decendents.)  Some of the insurance companies have tow reimbursement programs.  The reason I like Coach-Net is that one call does it all.  You do have to explain to them that it's a "Greyhound-style" bus -- they sent a toy wrecker to get us the one time we needed it.  Lost several hours waiting for a heavy-duty wrecker.  

Another resource is the Bus Ride (Magazine) directory of bus garages.  Gives you a great list of phone numbers, and if you do have an issue, you'll know where you can take/haul the coach.  

Truck places don't understand buses.  One of my transit clients had their buses maintained by a national trucking company (their parent at the time, so I can't reveal who) -- and the mechanics there didn't maintain bus air conditioners, they maintained the "refrigeration system."

Arthur  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:33:43 PM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 05:38:15 PM »

Good luck, and remember if all else fails, there are plenty of bus nuts along the way that might be able to lend a hand, and last but not least there is all of us here on the board rootin for ya Wink have a safe trip! Smiley Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »

........... we might as well make a go at it.

Take lots of tools and a cell phone.     Grin Grin Grin Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
redbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »

Take the computer so you can let us know how the trip is going.

Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 07:25:16 PM »

And most of all, give us a report when your journey is complete!
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »

Bummer,   Shocked   was going to ask if he was in a hurry for it.  Roll Eyes  Would have been a nice trip down the Pacific Coast Hiway for a couple months....

Grin

Just saying,,,,

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I am checking out coach-net right now.

Kevin
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »

Most Importantly  TAKE ALOT OF PICTURES!!!!!

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:15 PM »

Make it a journey, not a destination. Enjoy the ride! I know I sure did when I picked up mine, pretty cool feeling for sure!

Where in Texas?

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
DMoedave

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »

Good for you guys! My favorite t shirt sez ATTITUDE! the difference between ordeal and ADVENTURE! Have a fun safe trip.

we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

We are moving to Midland, Tx in West Texas.  I agree attitude makes all the difference in the world.  We are very excited for our adventure.  Planning the route right now.

Kevin
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »

We are moving to Midland, Tx in West Texas.  I agree attitude makes all the difference in the world.  We are very excited for our adventure.  Planning the route right now.

Kevin

Very close to us in Abilene! Close in Texas is a two day drive ya know! Grin

You have a bus nut for a neighbor!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »

ATTITUDE! the difference between ordeal and ADVENTURE!

And, when things seem to be piling up on you, all you can do is say, "this is simply a test, it is a TEST to see JUST HOW MUCH I can take before screaming!!!!" Grin

I'm thinking a good sense of humour doesn't hurt either,  Wink Cheesy  Pretty much, when going through a so-called "adventure", we try to keep in mind that "we'll look back and laugh about all this some day!" 

Boy, have we had some laughs Huh.

Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: