Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 05:20:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting question  (Read 8315 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »

This is a great topic!!! I am hopefully going to have my bus sandblasted (just the top half where there is paint - 300.00) and then shoot it. Friends of mine own a quality body shop that can get it in.

But my question and comment is:
There is a company called Southern Polyurethanes (out of Georgia, I believe) whose owner (Barry) is a "Stellar Individual"!!!!!!!!! Truly, he is!! He sponsors a Hot Rodders hands on week long event that I go to in Oblong, Illinois called Metal Meet. (another fantastic site and event for those of us who work with metal) Anyway, for years we did not even know he paid for the rent of the fair ground. He just did it. He is just that sort of guy. (SUPER good guy)
So my question is: Would he be chastised (or even would I be) if I were to get a hold of him and have him chime in on this subject? I know we are not supposed to advertise a product in the forum and I would make sure he knows that, but he is very giving in his knowledge and has tons of it. His company  does primers and I sealers. No paint, per se. He has a very high quality product that all those that I know who used it, really like it. (I use the black primer on my old school Hot Rods - love it. 105.oo for 2 gallons) He is also VERY versed in the making, testing and performance of most all paints. He lives and breathes this industry. And the beauty of knowing this fellow is he offers you his personal cell phone that you can call anytime - and about anybody else's paint you might have a problem with. Here is the site in case you want to check on your own:
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm
Really, this guy is a top notch guy who cares. I intend to use his epoxy primer and sealer on my bus but I will definitely talk with him before I do, so I know what to do, what to use and what I am in for.
BTW, I am in no way involved with this company. I just know good guys who care and try to turn others on to them.......... Just like I do with this site and all of you.
  At the very least, check out their site and if someone could let me know about getting him on board and if it's ok, I'd appreciate it. We might even get another new sponsor! Smiley

Just a thought,
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »

Sounds like a plan Ruthie. Can't wait to to see it!

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »

Chaz, I've hear good things about Barry when I was doing research on product and application method for ours. His prices were always the lowest, and he has a good reputation.

I'm thinking it was on some paint forum that I had heard that name before. Let us know how you like it when you get that far. I'll bet you're itching to git er done huh.

Paul
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:21:30 AM by Dreamscape » Logged

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »

Brian,

Yes, that is the way to go....full face and fresh air supply.  Make sure that the mask maintains a posigtive pressure when youinhale.  That is a safty test to make sure you aren't sucking in even a little bit.

The problem with an air supply is the source and what is around it.  many divers have been killed by having a fresh dive air supply picking exhaust gas from the air pump motor.  Soome of the dive air gets contaminated and then the diver hets it at deapth un great pressure and its Adios.  Just thought I'd bring that up in case your air supply was powered by a small engine.

John the worrier.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »

JohnEd, the beer sure as hell did not save my hair Grin Shocked

It is really scary what we expose ourselves to over the years.  However, I sometimes think we over react a bit.  Mercury is said to be so bad for us yet many of us coated pennies with it in our youth.  There is a famous car customizer who has been spreading led and smoking cigars (lit with the torch) for a ton of years (he is well into his 80s and still works on the cars).  Guess that your genes have a big impact on how you deal with these "killers"

On the subject of fresh air masks, John touched on the air supply.  NEVER use a piston type compressor.  It can put oil mist into the air and that is really bad for you.  Same with the air supply hose.  Make sure it has not been used for tools where an oil mist device has been placed in the line.

I use a hospital oxygen mask and a diaphragm compressor with a dedicated hose.  The oxygen mask does not cover the mucus membrane around the eyes (absorbs the iscocyanate) but it does flood the eyes with the air that flows out around the mask.  I know it is not the best, but it is a whole lot better than a charcoal mask - especially with my beard.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »

First paint goes on the compartment door jams tomorrow. Grin The guy did an awesome job on the priming and smoothing out. Keep ya fingers crossed.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »

Guess that your genes have a big impact on how you deal with these "killers"

So very true!  What you are describing is "annecdotal evidence".  The people that write this type of regulation hang around hospitals impersonating Dr.s and in labs and insurance companies.  Never forget those pesky insurance companies cause they pick up the bill then they pick up the phone to a legi and the crap hits the fan. Medical research university functions hit the ground a runnin and do their multi year rampage to the lynching of some poor chemical ingredient that we all have heard of somebodies relative surviving at least two close encounters with.  Right?  I always have to laugh when I hear about some Gummint agency "jumpin the gun" and forcing all that law down our throats.  remember the last time you heard of some piece of legislation flashing through the legi to inflict restraint on honest folk with a chemical company?  The legi is designed to resist all attempts to do anything at all....really, designed to fail.   Nobody wants a bunch of pols telling us what to do.  The FF felt that way back then and we have held to the tradition.

I have such serious heart burn on this subject.  Truly, tied up in knots.  I have been advocating for years the painting of buses outdoors with only a charcoal filter mask  True, I was using a acrylic enamel but that stuff isn't palatable just because there is something out there WORSE.  Really!  That stuff used a hardener, as I recall, so according to some here was a very bad substance and I don't doubt that for an instant. My big safety action was I sprayed with the over spray drifting away from me.....only because I had to stop to rinse off my glasses with thinner to be able to see if I got down wind and that had to happen more than once.  I am more ashamed of this than proud but I got that thing painted for a few hundred and it is over 15 years old. Mixed emotions at this point.  Of course I would still do it, I would just use a better mask.  But, I wouldn't let my kids do it under any circumstance.  That's clear,isn't it?

Don't ya just love beating the odds?

Every place I have ever had work done has used a oil lubed piston compressor.  AND a oil separator in the line at the output of the compressor.  Oil spray coming out with the paint?  Horrific results.  I have seen a second coat of paint actually slide down the side of a car and flop on the floor and the crew just stood there dumbfounded.  Finally the owner had his "a pif any" and rushed into the mixing room and grabbed the can of laq thinner and found that someone had brought in a can of the WASH GRADE thinner used to clean guns. It had silicone oil in it as a contaminate....but only small amts according to the caution label.  Yes it was my car and yes they worked all night and yes it was done by the following afternoon and yes it was a beautiful job.

I use a hospital oxygen mask and a diaphragm compressor with a dedicated hose.  The oxygen mask does not cover the mucus membrane around the eyes (absorbs the iscocyanate) but it does flood the eyes with the air that flows out around the mask.  I know it is not the best, but it is a whole lot better than a charcoal mask - especially with my beard.

I really like that...you break the rules but you have a kicker in the hole to allow you to pull it off. I admire that.

You nor anyone else can know where and when some piece of this drivel will come to play to someone's advantage.  Thanks for your sharing. Read it or not.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2010, 04:38:28 AM »

Or, you could just spring for safety gear designed for the task. . . I mean, aren't you worth more than your bus is?  And, don't you want to have enough lungs and brain cells left to enjoy that paint job for a LONG time???   ???Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »

Frankly, the cost of the proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is nothing when compared to the suffering you will feel if you develop lung issues.  Ask anyone that has been a smoker for many years and has developed COPD or Emphysema what life is like connected to the green bottle.  I'm willing to bet that the person will tell you that if they could do it over they would never have smoked.  I have seen people who have had their lives ended from COPD and I can tell you that it is not pleasant.  From what I have been told, it feels as if the person is sufficating.  Not my idea of a fun way to die.  Now, ask yourself what price for a new pair of lungs? 

Get good equipment.  Make sure it works properly.  Make sure it fits you properly or it is no good to you.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

The problem with an air supply is the source and what is around it.  many divers have been killed by having a fresh dive air supply picking exhaust gas from the air pump motor.  Soome of the dive air gets contaminated and then the diver hets it at deapth un great pressure and its Adios.  Just thought I'd bring that up in case your air supply was powered by a small engine.

The Hobbyair system I am looking at using includes a compressor/fan unit.  I would assume they aren't introducing stuff bad for your health.  I would make sure to set the unit where it can't ingest bad air.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »

I would make sure to set the unit where it can't ingest bad air.

I'll bet that is in the instructions or "caution statements" within the instructions.  I think we have beaten this topic to death.  I would scoff, inwardly at least, at this exchange having any worth at all but then I remember it wasn't so very long ago that I skimmed over those cautions and made the comment "now what jerk would/wouldn't do something stupid like that?".  Thank you all.  The tour with OSHA and the readings associated with that duty opened my eyes a little and the responsibility I had for the safety and well being of my men in the military put an edge on me in that regard and set me up to be receptive to that type info.  Still, I cut more corners in my life than a 5 year old with her first pair of scissors.  Kenny Rogers?  Know when to hold'em and know.....

Thanks all,

John

—Pla
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »

Quote from: trucktramp
Frankly, the cost of the proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is nothing when compared to the suffering you will feel if you develop lung issues.  Ask anyone that has been a smoker for many years and has developed COPD or Emphysema what life is like connected to the green bottle.  I'm willing to bet that the person will tell you that if they could do it over they would never have smoked.  I have seen people who have had their lives ended from COPD and I can tell you that it is not pleasant.  From what I have been told, it feels as if the person is sufficating.  Not my idea of a fun way to die.  Now, ask yourself what price for a new pair of lungs? 

Get good equipment.  Make sure it works properly.  Make sure it fits you properly or it is no good to you.

Trucktramp well said!
Now I'll tell you a seriously sad story about (actually I have experienced it twice!) a lady who rode my bus once on a High School band trip had the little green bottles and the re-generating machine that re-filled them at night in the hotel room. Every time we stopped she would have her husband digging under the bus for another bottle or two, while she found a place to sit and light up and have a smoke before getting back on the bus and hooking back up to the bottle! Her husband and several others on the trip constantly scolded her and told her if she cared at all about her kids she'd give up smoking and live longer for them. Her response was always "I'm already dying and I do love my kids, if I didn't I wouldn't be on this DAMN trip!" (how sad to think that was the best way she could show the kids she loved them! And also express it out loud!)
;(  BK  ;(  

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »

Yep, that is sad. I had an uncle that died with emphysema. He was on oxygen full time and smoked til the day he died. He died young.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »

5 pages of posts............and only 3 pictures.............how depressing! Sad

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »

How's this

Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: